GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

2013 Equinox Recall Problems

7K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  rednox301 
#1 ·
Okay guys so today I took my 2013 Equinox in for service and apparantly it was one of the first non-Canadian ones the dealer had done. When I got it back an hour later the wipers were jacked up, they were about a quarter of the way up the windshield. The service technician took it back and fixed it but as I was driving home tonight I realized they are not reaching the edge of the windshield anymore. They are only hitting approximately 2-3 inches from where they hit before. Has anyone else had this experience? Does anyone else know how to fix it? Just super annoyed with the service I keep receiving from my local Chevrolet dealership.

#2 ·
if you dont want to take it back--- you can try to use a battery terminal puller to pull up and re-seat the wiper arms.
I believe there is a wiper arm removal tool also.

(Assuming they were not placed back in a different position on the splined shaft)

sample splined shaft from online. (random car make)

(it could be there was a change in the mechanical moving parts?)

here I removed my wipers on my Traverse. the tool cost $6.xx at Oreills.
(I had to remove my wiper arms to replace my struts.)

#3 ·
As rbarrios posted you can rotate the arm on the splined shaft to gain adjustment.
There is an alignment mark for each wiper in the blacked out area at the bottom of the windshield.
The alignment dot should be just above the tip of the wiper in the park position.

You can see the dot on the right side, below the GM logo and glass info in the blacked out area.
Left side dot is more in the center.

Or just eyeball it.
The arm/blade, in the park position, should be about 1/2 to 1 inch above the bottom of the windshield.
Not touching any of the black trim pieces.

#6 ·
I had mine in for the same recall and the wiper position is off slightly, sounds like your are worse. I will adjust them a bit when the weather is a little nicer in the great white north.

I had hoped to wait to take it in after the winter salt season was over but then the **** thing broke! Only good thing is that the local dealer who I was never impressed with had the parts in stock and did the repair in less than an hour! I was also pleased to hear that the repair included a new wiper motor in addition to the linkage, it's one unit. This means that my extended warranty will cover it as well. In the past I learned if the linkage is separate the warranty will only cover the motor.

#7 ·
Thank you guys very much! I appreciate all of your input! I didn't even know about the alignment dots. I might be nitpicking a little but it was seriously out of place. I guess in my recall they didn't replace any parts all they had to do was check the wiper module for corrosion if it was corroded they replaced it. After that they plug the current drain hole and create a new one. I definitely read they had to replace the linkage and everything in the recall. But I got pretty upset with the service tech and he showed me the bulletin. He couldn't grasp how they were out of place kept stating that the wipers roatation would always stay the same which I knew but I had to explain to him how that wasn't the problem and they had to take the wiper arm off for the operation. Meaning that took it off and didn't know how to realign it. As I stated before I only went there because it was local and they had the parts. Mine took about an hour.

#8 ·
Picture 1

Attachments

#9 ·
All of my other pictures were too big to post even when zipped. The dust area on the left is about where the wipers used to touch now they only touch the dust strip/wet strip to the right of it. I went out and looked at the receipt and it said that they replaced the wiper motor and trans assembly. The service tech said nothing of either of those so either he didn't know or they didn't actually do it. While out there I also looked for the alignment dots and I didn't see them but it is night time here and therefor pretty dark.

#10 ·
GTP2525 said:
While out there I also looked for the alignment dots and I didn't see them but it is night time here and therefor pretty dark.
Even in daylight they are a little hard to find.
I had to clean the dust off the windshield to find them.

#11 ·
Yeah I kinda figured that. Do you know where they are suppose to line up with the arm/wiper? I'm just wondering if it is suppose to be centered or even with the bottom or top of the arm. Also it looked like some just line up with the wiper.

#12 ·
GTP2525 said:
Yeah I kinda figured that. Do you know where they are suppose to line up with the arm/wiper? I'm just wondering if it is suppose to be centered or even with the bottom or top of the arm. Also it looked like some just line up with the wiper.
The dot on mine is even with the top of the arm/blade on pass side.
I bought mine new and it's never been touched, still have the original blades.

I have about 1/2 inch from the blade to the bottom of the windshield, where the glass meets the black trim on pass side.
About 7/8 inch on driver side.

#13 ·
Is there a driver side dot as well? If so where is it lined up?

#14 ·
GTP2525 said:
Is there a driver side dot as well? If so where is it lined up?
Same as pass. side, just over the top and tip of the arm/blade assembly.
It is to the right of center on the vehicle about 15 inches from the GM logo on the windshield.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.