GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

ac off due to high engine temperature

85K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  Dinetech 
#1 ·
Tuesday, with about 1700 miles on my 2010 4 cylinder Equinox, I got a message on the dash that said "ac off due to high engine temperature". Also, the cooling fans ran at full speed and the temp gauge did not work. The local dealer found a bulletin that detailed this problem to the letter and indicated that the computer was locked up. It required a computer reflash and it appears to have solved the problem completly. Only time will tell if it is a long term fix. I don't have the TSB number and cannot find it on the internet or on any of the forums.

#2 ·
Yeah, anytime the computer can't determine water temp, it goes into a fail safe mode. It assumes the engine is running very hot, and will try to protect itself. As a last resort, it will simply shut off. Several of the systems have this type of protection, from oil pressure, TPS (throttle position sensor), MAF (mass airflow sensor) crank angle sensor etc etc.

KJ

#3 ·
You are correct, the car will protect itself in the event of a failure. However, the purpose of the post was to advise that there is a condition that looks like a component failure. In reality, it requires a quick trip to the dealer to get the relays pulled to prevent the fan from running the battery dead. Then the computer needs to be re- flashed. GM is aware of the issue but, I would guess that most service departments and not.

#4 ·
I had the exact same problem. Dealer did a reflash and i have not had any problems since. Mine happened on 2/13.

#8 ·
dealer changed my thermostat twice. boy was i mad the second time .i told them the error message was on even when cold and that i didnt think it was a thermostat. i was a master mechanic years ago and do know about these things. they treat you like you know nothing. i also told them the temp guage was cold. still havent had it repaired again but i will tell tthem about the flash solution i have read here. thanks folks for your post on this matter :)

#12 ·
This happened to me last night. It was late so I didn't mess with it. I started it again this morning and the same warning was there. I disconnected the negative battery terminal as suggested here. So far, so good.

#14 ·
Disconnect both positive and negative and remove battery from tray clean battery terminals and connections touch negative and positive cables while battery is out of vehicle leave accessories on while you do this then replace battery and connections and start vehicle to see the outcome

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.