EquinoxForum.net Bookmark and Share
October 01, 2014, 01:17:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to TerrainForum, EquinoxForum & SRXForum! We're glad you found us!

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Headlight / Headlamp condensation  (Read 21193 times)
2005ChevyEquinox

Ignore
« on: June 25, 2010, 06:07:22 PM »

I own a 2005 Chevy Equinox which the LH (drivers) headlamp has always produced condensation since new.  I took the headlamp off, cleaned, silicone all pairing seams, and used pipe thread tape on all bulb sockets and still have a bit of condensation build up at times.  I noticed three plastic caps on the back side which if you take off, there is a paper film / filter.  Should I keep these three plastic caps off to create a breathing environment in the headlamp? 

I see a lot of Equinox with condensation in their headlamps.  Do you know if there is a recall or a possible solution?

Thanks in advance for your time and information,
Al from Alsip, IL

2005ChevyEquinox

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 06:59:26 PM »

FYI  - I did blow dry the head lamp and let the silicone dry over 24 hours before reinstalling.
oracle

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 09:52:02 PM »

Must have a breathing point or it will condense.. I bet at least one of those hose plastic caps are for delivery only and the dealership or assembly line forgot to remove it...

2010 Terrain SLT-2
2005ChevyEquinox

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 06:24:34 AM »

I disagree with the breathing point.  Think of the double pane window concept.  If there is a leak between the two panes of glass - condensation will form.  If the two panes of glass are completely sealed, then there is an air pocket acting as an insulator.  Therefore, no condensation. 

oracle

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 09:29:49 AM »

No modern headlamp is sealed for that condensation reason. What's sealed is the bulb.
The double pane glass makes them more resilient to condensation but the difference in temperature and humidity is not completely removed, here at home (Canada) all glass is double pane glass and still condensation problem is a nightmare, In some areas I have to add a 3rd layer with a plastic liner and even then still a bit of a problem.

The headlamps are not double pane. The seal around the plug is not air tight, will still allow some breathing room as the air expands when the lights are on.
Porsche cars have a little pipe that blows air into the tail lamps because they get hot since the engine is in the back and condensation is a problem without the extra air moving in them.

2010 Terrain SLT-2
2005ChevyEquinox

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 07:30:13 AM »

I'll keep an eye on the headlamp since I did silicone seal all seams again and teflon taped the sockets.  If condensation builds up again, I'll pop off the three caps as mentioned in my first post.

I understand what you are saying, but noticed other vehicles with completely sealed headlamp units.
oracle

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 10:37:05 PM »

I agree, they all look pretty tight but the only sealed units are in the 70's that you had to replace the whole lamp if you can replace just the bulb then they're not air tight sealed.
The BMW 5 has the upper section of the front headlamp sealed because it only contains a reflector and no bulb so in that case it should be sealed but with the heat/cool cycles the bond in the poly is breaking up and many headlamps are showing condensation problems cause once you have water/humidity in it then expect that moisture problem to be recurring all the time...
You can pull the headlamp let it dry in the sun with the socket up so the water has a place to evaporate. Reinstall and make sure the alignment is as it was before.

Good luck!

2010 Terrain SLT-2
Equinox Headlamp Recall

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 06:53:47 AM »

I purchased my 2005 Equinox from a used car dealer in 2008. Prior to signing on the dotted line, I asked for them to replace both headlamps since they contained condensation and water, plus the lenses were beginning to haze. They were very accommodating and did just that, but the scenario peaked my interest as being a cause for concern.

Now 3 years later the passenger side lamp is condensating heavily, there is a major issue with the production of this part from GM/Chevrolet. Please refer to the most recent post. Topic: Headlight / Headlamp condensation  (Read 3639 times)

Does anyone know how to begin the process of a recall? I realize the auto manufacturers usually lay low until DC or another governing body gets involved. Are we not a governing body of vehicle owners with the same issue?
Equinox Headlamp Recall

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 07:08:29 AM »

Start a Recall case with krohnandmoss.com or email them with your information.
GM Customer Svc
Theta Guru

Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 09:00:40 AM »

I purchased my 2005 Equinox from a used car dealer in 2008. Prior to signing on the dotted line, I asked for them to replace both headlamps since they contained condensation and water, plus the lenses were beginning to haze. They were very accommodating and did just that, but the scenario peaked my interest as being a cause for concern.

Now 3 years later the passenger side lamp is condensating heavily, there is a major issue with the production of this part from GM/Chevrolet. Please refer to the most recent post. Topic: Headlight / Headlamp condensation  (Read 3639 times)

Does anyone know how to begin the process of a recall? I realize the auto manufacturers usually lay low until DC or another governing body gets involved. Are we not a governing body of vehicle owners with the same issue?

I would like to look into this further. In order to do so, I will need some more specific information from you. If you could please send me your full name, address, phone number, the VIN for the vehicle, and current mileage via private message, I will be able to take further steps. Thank you again and I look forward to hearing from you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

>>>>>> Please check out the new GM Owner Center at https://my.gm.com/ for more vehicle information!
Equinox Headlamp Recall

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 05:42:08 AM »

Dave Tannehill

Attorney at Law

Krohn & Moss, Ltd

8043 Corporate Circle

Suite 3

North Royalton, OH 44133

(216) 901-0609 x203(Direct)

tune2at

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 02:28:09 PM »

I would like to look into this further. In order to do so, I will need some more specific information from you. If you could please send me your full name, address, phone number, the VIN for the vehicle, and current mileage via private message, I will be able to take further steps. Thank you again and I look forward to hearing from you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

I'm a new member and I have just the same problem with a 2005  with 84,000 miles that I just purchased from a Chevy dealer in New Mexico. But both head lights are full of water. I hope this draws a response as the dealer was reluctant to do anything to correct the problem.
gaugeprower

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 09:24:19 AM »

Mine are all wet as well (2007 LS)... Has anyone had any luck with aftermarket replacements? I'm looking to do a retrofit to HID and I dont want any condensation on the projectors I'll be installing...

2010 Equinox LT
V6, AWD, NA
Silver Ice Metallic
khsbuff1980

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2012, 02:01:07 PM »

I Just purchased a 2005 LT with 73 k Miles. I noticed that the passenger headlamp has a bit of condensation. Add me to the list. I'll try to dry with a blow dryer & resilicone and see what happens.  Binky Baby
NODES

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2012, 04:51:19 PM »

Mine are all wet as well (2007 LS)... Has anyone had any luck with aftermarket replacements? I'm looking to do a retrofit to HID and I dont want any condensation on the projectors I'll be installing...

Can you drill some extra holes to help it?
hyperv6
Theta Freak

hyperv6 hyperv6

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2012, 05:29:35 PM »

Dave Tannehill

Attorney at Law

Krohn & Moss, Ltd

8043 Corporate Circle

Suite 3

I bet the headlights would be cheaper.
North Royalton, OH 44133