EquinoxForum.net Bookmark and Share
November 26, 2014, 12:58:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to TerrainForum, EquinoxForum & SRXForum! We're glad you found us!

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tires Filled With Nitrogen  (Read 36021 times)
djmodifyd

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2010, 07:12:57 AM »

my dealer does it for free....

i'm beginning to like my dealer more and more....

2010 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ V6 AWD Cardinal Red Metallic: Trailering Package, Sunroof, Navigation.

2008 Buick Enclave CXL AWD Red Jewel:  Navigation System, Luxury Package, Driver Confidence Package, 19" Chrome Wheels, Towing Package
wbassnp007

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2010, 07:16:57 AM »

The advantage of pure nitrogen is that the pressure fluctuates very little with temperature changes compared to plain air.

If you live in the south where temperatures are pretty consistant year round, it won't make a difference but if you are in the northern states or Canada and can go from -30deg Celcius winter to +30 in the summer then it will help maintain a consitant air pressure resulting in maximizing your fuel efficiency and minimizing tire wear.

Remember in the north we have large temperature swings over a short 4 month period from season to season and unless you check and maintain your tire pressure regularly you could be out quite a bit without knowing it. How ofter do most people really check their tire pressure?

Hi, are you familiar with permeation?

2011 Terrain, Carbon Black Metallic
SLT2, 4 Cyl.,FWD, 18" Machined Aluminum Wheels
Rear Seat Entertainment, Navigation, Brownstone Leather
2010BlkGraniteNox

« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2010, 07:33:18 AM »

Hi, are you familiar with permeation?

Hi...Are you familiar with a 17% difference?

wbassnp007

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2010, 07:50:22 AM »

Hi...Are you familiar with a 17% difference?

Yes, I'm familiar with 17%. So what?

inphoenix

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2010, 09:15:39 AM »

"The advantage of pure nitrogen is that the pressure fluctuates very little with temperature changes compared to plain air.

If you live in the south where temperatures are pretty consistant year round, it won't make a difference but if you are in the northern states or Canada and can go from -30deg Celcius winter to +30 in the summer then it will help maintain a consitant air pressure resulting in maximizing your fuel efficiency and minimizing tire wear.

Remember in the north we have large temperature swings over a short 4 month period from season to season and unless you check and maintain your tire pressure regularly you could be out quite a bit without knowing it. How ofter do most people really check their tire pressure?"
You don't live in the south then, because in Phoenix it makes a big difference. Road temps can hit 150+ which is hell on tires. Nitrogen tires hold a more steady pressure, and tires don't get as hot so they last a bit longer. We have an insane amount of tire blowouts in the summer here. With air temps often in the 115+ range (it can get up to 200 inside your vehicle) keeping vital parts cool is a big issue.

2010 Equinox LT2, Cardinal Red,
V6
18 inch wheels
Pioneer System ( Bose killer)
PDIM
Sunroof
wbassnp007

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2010, 09:59:32 AM »

You don't live in the south then, because in Phoenix it makes a big difference. Road temps can hit 150+ which is hell on tires. Nitrogen tires hold a more steady pressure, and tires don't get as hot so they last a bit longer. We have an insane amount of tire blowouts in the summer here. With air temps often in the 115+ range (it can get up to 200 inside your vehicle) keeping vital parts cool is a big issue.

Well said southwest man. I'm in Southern FL.

mmarges

« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2010, 08:41:50 AM »

Umm, the word I used was temperatures "consistant" down there it's pretty much always hot. Here in the North we also get heat wave temperatures in the summer resulting in in road temperatures of 150 resulting in temperatures in the tires up to 200 ect.......the only difference here is within a short span of 6 months we could be down to -30 for months on end as well.

It's the change in temperature where Nitogen maintains the pressure better therefore this will typically help us here in the North much more.
2010BlkGraniteNox

« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2010, 09:35:01 AM »

It's the change in temperature where Nitogen maintains the pressure better therefore this will typically help us here in the North much more.

DING DING DING

inphoenix

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2010, 11:00:20 AM »

Umm, the word I used was temperatures "consistant" down there it's pretty much always hot. Here in the North we also get heat wave temperatures in the summer resulting in in road temperatures of 150 resulting in temperatures in the tires up to 200 ect.......the only difference here is within a short span of 6 months we could be down to -30 for months on end as well.

I lived in North Dakota and Minnesota for 35 years. I've been in Phoenix for 10+, so I've seen -57 air temps and 120 air temps first hand. Tires don't last nearly as long here as they did up north, unless you do a lot of offroad driving. You can think what you want, but until you have lived in the desert, you don't understand what those temps really do to a vehicle. BTW, I get temps here from 37-120 so the spread is larger than you think.

V6
18 inch wheels
PDIM
Sunroof
wbassnp007

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2010, 11:24:58 AM »

I lived in North Dakota and Minnesota for 35 years. I've been in Phoenix for 10+, so I've seen -57 air temps and 120 air temps first hand. Tires don't last nearly as long here as they did up north, unless you do a lot of offroad driving. You can think what you want, but until you have lived in the desert, you don't understand what those temps really do to a vehicle. BTW, I get temps here from 37-120 so the spread is larger than you think.

Truth in engineering and poetry of science proves the math, or does the mathematical equations prove the science?

IceMan
Global Moderator

« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2010, 11:39:57 AM »

Wow! All this with only adding a little bit more nitrogen. Lets see...balances everything out for wear...won't leak...won't absorb through the rubber...saves wheels...smoothes out the ride...even adds better gas mileage.
 What did I leave out?

It's like a miracle..!
inphoenix

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2010, 03:31:12 PM »

Wow! All this with only adding a little bit more nitrogen. Lets see...balances everything out for wear...won't leak...won't absorb through the rubber...saves wheels...smoothes out the ride...even adds better gas mileage.
 What did I leave out?

It's like a miracle..!
Miracle no, does it help, yes. I can't say mileage or smoother ride, (my process there would be more stable pressure creates that possibility) saving the wheels, never heard that one. I can tell you I get more miles from my tires with the same care (rotation and keeping the pressure monitored) than I did with regular air. I would not pay more than $5 per tire for it, but since I get it free now and I always have it does not matter to me.

V6
18 inch wheels
PDIM
Sunroof
Sgt1411

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2010, 09:37:00 PM »

I noticed the new 2011 Buick Regal made in Germany is shipped with Nitrogen filled tires....so someone at GM thinks its a good idea

2011 GMC Terrain SLT-1 AWD I4
Carbon Black Metallic/Jet Black Leather Interior
18in Machined Wheels, Sunroof, Security Package

2011 Explorer Limited V6 4WD Black/Black Technology & Luxury Seat Package, Navigation, 20" Polished Aluminum Wheels, 2nd Row Buckets & Console, Moonroof, Headrest DVD.
Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2010, 05:50:30 AM »

I noticed the new 2011 Buick Regal made in Germany is shipped with Nitrogen filled tires....so someone at GM thinks its a good idea

OR, they can do it so darn cheap, that consumers will be impressed and give it more "value" than it actually costs GM to do.  i.e. a marketing gimmic

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
Sgt1411

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2010, 10:34:08 AM »

OR, they can do it so darn cheap, that consumers will be impressed and give it more "value" than it actually costs GM to do.  i.e. a marketing gimmic

Good Point, probably true.......just like Gen9 OnStar My Link

2011 Explorer Limited V6 4WD Black/Black Technology & Luxury Seat Package, Navigation, 20" Polished Aluminum Wheels, 2nd Row Buckets & Console, Moonroof, Headrest DVD.
Sgt1411

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2010, 01:18:07 PM »

Hey can anyone explain why when you order the 18inch machined wheel upgrade from the 18inch painted wheel , they change the 18inch tire to the Michelin Latitude Tour?

Roesterman

Mocha Nox ordered Jan 7th -pick up April 13th 2010

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2010, 03:32:19 AM »

Hey can anyone explain why when you order the 18inch machined wheel upgrade from the 18inch painted wheel , they change the 18inch tire to the Michelin Latitude Tour?
There is no 18 " painted wheel. The standard wheel is 17".

2010 Chevy Equinox
2LT 1SC 4cyl FWD
Mocha Brownstone Leather 
Trailer Pkg. Huskyliners
DVD  Sunroof  Cargo cover
Chrome Pkg  18" wheels
mmarges

« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2010, 05:53:15 AM »

The 17" aluminum come with Michilin Latitude Tour (A darned good tire if you ask me, retail about $200ea). The 19" Chrome clad upgrade wheels come with Hankook Optimo H725 (They're ok, wish they had the Michilins instead).

What tire comes on the 18" Chrome upgrade?

I have Nitrogen in all my summer/winter tire sets for my Equinox and my wifes Piloy but I got it for FREE from a friends shop. I wouldn't pay $40-$60 for what is normally charged at a dealer. Nitrogen IMO is marginally better, (theoretically) but really nothing to get excited about!
coreyp

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2010, 08:39:35 AM »

The 17" aluminum come with Michilin Latitude Tour (A darned good tire if you ask me, retail about $200ea). The 19" Chrome clad upgrade wheels come with Hankook Optimo H725 (They're ok, wish they had the Michilins instead).

What tire comes on the 18" Chrome upgrade?

I have Nitrogen in all my summer/winter tire sets for my Equinox and my wifes Piloy but I got it for FREE from a friends shop. I wouldn't pay $40-$60 for what is normally charged at a dealer. Nitrogen IMO is marginally better, (theoretically) but really nothing to get excited about!

Amen! "Marginally Better, Theoretically" The key selling feature and benefit to Nitrogen is increased fuel economy and better tire wear do to consistent tire pressure. However, as long as you "keep up" your vehicle i.e. Check your tire pressure regularly and rotate your tires, you will see no difference between Nitrogen and regular air.  Hell, with the new Onstar app it just got easier......I can check my tire pressure from my office anytime I want!  Your more apt to have problems with wheels out of alignment and balance!

2011 Equinox LT2
Awd I4
Black Granite Metallic
Black Leather Seats
Power lift gate
E&G Chrome Mesh Grille
Husky weather beater floor mats
Ordered 07/27/10 delivered 09/18/10
Sgt1411

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2010, 10:14:57 AM »

There is no 18 " painted wheel. The standard wheel is 17".

I stand corrected, your right its a 17in painted aluminum wheel, but the SLE I saw with those 17in wheels didn't have Michelins on it.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: