EquinoxForum.net Bookmark and Share
October 25, 2014, 12:42:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Download our new iPhone, Android & Blackberry App! more info

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tires Filled With Nitrogen  (Read 34591 times)
davemason

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2010, 10:37:20 PM »

The benefit to Nitrogen is increased fuel economy and better tire wear due to consistent tire pressure.

I have thought about this statement from the sales brochures on why it's better to use Nitrogen instead of air.  The problem I have is what I remember of Charles's law from high-school.

Charles' Law:
Assuming that pressure remains constant, the volume and absolute temperature of a certain quantity of a gas are directly proportional.

The way I remember the law, it was stated using a constant volume (there is some stretch in a tire), increase the temp, the pressure increases.  Does not matter what gas or vapour you are using.

The only benefit I have been able to find out, is that you don't have any oxidation of the rubber with 100% nitrogen in the tire.  As the oxygen reacts with the rubber, I think the pressure would go down as the oxygen is used up.

One other thing, I believe the nitrogen molecule is larger than an oxygen molecule, so it should take longer for the pressure to drop as the molecules leak through the rubber tire.  What happens to balloons over several days.

I have only seen it cost maybe $5 to fill a tire with nitrogen.

GMC Terrain 2011 SLE-2 V6 AWD w/tow package
jls1958

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2010, 12:14:16 PM »

Does anybody have performance experience of Nitrogen fill in the tires on a Terrain?

dont have to check as often..................low maintenance
08PILOT

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2011, 06:54:35 AM »

It cost me $10 locally to have it done and
any time I get a low warning (About once
a Year) I carry my receipt back and they
add it back in. (That's total, not per tire)
wbassnp007

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2011, 07:16:24 AM »

It cost me $10 locally to have it done and
any time I get a low warning (About once
a Year) I carry my receipt back and they
add it back in. (That's total, not per tire)

That's a great deal. My local tire guy wants $10 per tire.

2011 Terrain, Carbon Black Metallic
SLT2, 4 Cyl.,FWD, 18" Machined Aluminum Wheels
Rear Seat Entertainment, Navigation, Brownstone Leather
buickanddeere

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2011, 08:38:01 PM »

Scam
wbassnp007

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2011, 05:26:56 AM »

Scam

I'm not so sure this is a scam since Nitrogen is so widely used. Take a gander at the following: I don't think that all of this is biased information.

http://www.nitrofill.com/documents/IR_NitrogenFilling_FinalReport101807.pdf

http://getnitrogen.org/n2study/video/leno.html

And finally, this is from the Tire Retread Information Bureau (TRIB).

http://www.nitrofill.com/documents/TRIB-Nitrogen-in-Tires.pdf

Personally, I found the video by Jay Leno entertaining!

Although the foregoing information was obtained from the NitroFill website, they are independent studies based on bonafide science and mathematical computations. They may not have been funded by NitroFill.

http://www.nitrofill.com/documents/Nitrogen-Tire-Dissertation.pdf

http://www.nitrofill.com/documents/Tire-Fatigue-Paper.pdf

grometsc

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2011, 05:35:26 AM »

I'm not so sure this is a scam since Nitrogen is so widely used. Take a gander at the following: I don't think that all of this is biased information.

http://www.nitrofill.com/documents/IR_NitrogenFilling_FinalReport101807.pdf

http://getnitrogen.org/n2study/video/leno.html

Go for some independent reviews....NOT the companies that wish to sell it. It is wasted money, in the end if you feel better about then go for it, but dont expect the claims!

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/tires-auto-parts/tires/tire-buying-advice/tire-using-nitrogen/tire-using-nitrogen.htm

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2007/10/nitrogen-tires-.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/09/automobiles/09MOTO.html

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=nitrogen-filled-tires-fuel-efficiency

I've as well seen the test performed on major trucking companies that have casings that go for 500K miles, when you consider atleast 1 re-tread on them. But again, they DONT see any benefit either!

2010 Black Granite 2LT Nox-HFV6

2010 Silvermist 1LT Nox-I4
tsduke

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2011, 06:51:27 AM »

I ran it for awhile because I bought tires from a shop that fills with it. I noticed absolutely no difference using it. I had to add/remove air just as much as with air. I would NOT pay to switch to it, that's for sure.

2011 Equinox 2LT FWD 2.4L
Black Granite Metallic
Build Date 6/21/2011
NoobNox
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2011, 07:29:44 AM »

Scam
Only a scam if you pay too much for the initial nitrogen fill (old air has to be bled from tires) and then continue paying for addtional fills. My feeling is that if the initial cost is low and then free thereafter as a courtesy...no reason to not go nitro. Just don't buy into (literally) all the wild claims that tire stores and service centers use to sell customers on the idea. The only proven benefit for passenger vehicles is being more temperature stable.

2010 Equinox 2LT Silver Ice metallic, 2.4 I4, 2WD, Titanium leather
tsduke

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2011, 07:43:53 AM »

Only a scam if you pay too much for the initial nitrogen fill (old air has to be bled from tires) and then continue paying for addtional fills. My feeling is that if the initial cost is low and then free thereafter as a courtesy...no reason to not go nitro. Just don't buy into (literally) all the wild claims that tire stores and service centers use to sell customers on the idea. The only proven benefit for passenger vehicles is being more temperature stable.

I still got the pressure swings with temp changes using nitro.  Shop with Nitro was across town so I ended up filling with air anyway.

Black Granite Metallic
Build Date 6/21/2011
wbassnp007

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2011, 07:52:14 AM »

Included with the NitroFill is a Club Membership, tire service & auto club kit. The purchase includes a free one year membership:  Tire repair and replacement coverage, 24 hour emergency towing service, 24 hour emergency road service, 24 hour emergency fluid delivery (gas, water, oil, etc.), 24 hour emergency battery service, lost key and lockout service, travel benefits, theft and hit and run protection, trip routing service, trip interruption protection.

IceMan
Global Moderator

« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2011, 07:52:38 AM »

...Means so little in the scheme of things....
..but gives some that fuzzy feeling...
...of being on top of things.... Cool

2011 Equinox LTZ 2.4L FWD
Silver Ice Metallic/Jet Blk lthr
17" wheels
Premium Sound System
 Built 1st week in Aug..arrived Aug 23,2010
NoobNox
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2011, 10:37:33 AM »

I still got the pressure swings with temp changes using nitro.  Shop with Nitro was across town so I ended up filling with air anyway.
Probably because whoever did it didn't allow all of the old air to bleed out...the only way to get close to 100% is to use some sort of vaccum device. In any case, the air we're breathing right now has 78% of the stuff that people are charging for these days. First it was water, then tv and radio and now air....is there anything that used to be free that someone can't make a profit from these days? wink

2010 Equinox 2LT Silver Ice metallic, 2.4 I4, 2WD, Titanium leather
tsduke

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2011, 05:01:14 PM »

Probably because whoever did it didn't allow all of the old air to bleed out...the only way to get close to 100% is to use some sort of vaccum device. In any case, the air we're breathing right now has 78% of the stuff that people are charging for these days. First it was water, then tv and radio and now air....is there anything that used to be free that someone can't make a profit from these days? wink

This shop has all the gear for that and they were brand new tires they put on.

Black Granite Metallic
Build Date 6/21/2011
buickanddeere

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2013, 10:25:40 AM »

I have thought about this statement from the sales brochures on why it's better to use Nitrogen instead of air.  The problem I have is what I remember of Charles's law from high-school.

The way I remember the law, it was stated using a constant volume (there is some stretch in a tire), increase the temp, the pressure increases.  Does not matter what gas or vapour you are using.

The only benefit I have been able to find out, is that you don't have any oxidation of the rubber with 100% nitrogen in the tire.  As the oxygen reacts with the rubber, I think the pressure would go down as the oxygen is used up.

One other thing, I believe the nitrogen molecule is larger than an oxygen molecule, so it should take longer for the pressure to drop as the molecules leak through the rubber tire.  What happens to balloons over several days.

I have only seen it cost maybe $5 to fill a tire with nitrogen.

Take a look on the periodic table for nitrogen and oxygen. Pretty darn close in size and weight.
  As for oxidization inside the tire? Without a fresh supply of oxygen the oxidization stops.
   Only faint and far fetched excuse for N2 in tires is on aircraft as N2 does not support combustion.
Toorain

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2013, 04:15:06 PM »

Well I believed in nitrogen till my dealer called that my nitrogen warranty is up so went outside to check my tire pressure after a year and it was down to 30 psi.  So f them I'm using regular air lol.
Btw they wanted $75 for the year  Angry
josey88

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2013, 05:41:34 PM »

I think that nitrogen is BS . I have my 4 tires filled with nitrogen at precisely 35 lbs and I still get the same fluctuations from weather and miles . If I start with cold tires at 35 lbs , at 15 miles later I got 39 lbs and some times the 4 tires read the same and many times do not . So, what is the advantage of using nitrogen ? at least it is free around here , but I just cannot see the gain if my tires behave the same as if they were filled with  regular air and not have a consistent pressure
Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2013, 06:57:43 PM »

I think that nitrogen is BS . I have my 4 tires filled with nitrogen at precisely 35 lbs and I still get the same fluctuations from weather and miles . If I start with cold tires at 35 lbs , at 15 miles later I got 39 lbs and some times the 4 tires read the same and many times do not . So, what is the advantage of using nitrogen ? at least it is free around here , but I just cannot see the gain if my tires behave the same as if they were filled with  regular air and not have a consistent pressure

I think the advantage of Nitrogen is that it is a larger molecule than Oxygen, and therefore, less likely to "escape" out of the tire.  As far as the change in pressure when heating up - not sure if it should ... but, how do people "really" know if they are putting Nitrogen in your tire, or plain old air !!!  Humm...   Bang Head

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
RealmSteel

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2013, 07:17:27 PM »

We went on a trip last weekend and I kept an eye on my tire pressures.
As the tires heated up, so did the pressure.

I suppose you could look at it this way:
If normal air contains approx 78% nitrogen already, when you realize you are low on air, the nitrogen to oxygen ratio should be higher since oxygen permeates through the tire faster.
The next time you add air, the resulting percentage of total nitrogen in the tire will increase. It's an averages thing.
Theoretically, you could end up with near 100% nitrogen some day Roll Eyes  Beer

2013 1LT 2.4L 2WD
Franklin DeLaney

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2013, 08:49:11 PM »

I hired a party clown to come over to my place and fill my tires with helium.  My NOX feels like it's floating on air now, but they sound a little funny.  Har har har.   drunk

2010 Chevrolet Equinox LS
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: