EquinoxForum.net Bookmark and Share
March 28, 2017, 04:25:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to TerrainForum, EquinoxForum & SRXForum! We're glad you found us!

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aftermarket Warranty  (Read 15974 times)
kparrent

Ignore
« on: October 03, 2015, 12:04:36 AM »

I don't really know what section of the forum this belongs is, but this seems to be the best fit.

I currently have had my '12 Terrain SLT2 4 cyl for 46 months and have about 65k on it.  Due to the age and experiencing some engine warranty work (P0014) I've been looking into 3rd party service contracts.  I received quotes from 2 of the top hits on Google:

Delta Auto Protect
Endurance

Delta is offering 5 yr / 100k (additional miles, not total) for under 2k.  It has some exclusions, but this is their highest plan and covers most thing which are not considered standard wear and tear.  Two things make me a bit nervous- 1) they haven't been around very long 2) they are not BBB accredited.  They do however, have an "A" rating with BBB which is basically based on not having any complaints.  I can't find anything bad about them on Google, but really the only info is on Consumer Affairs which they are a paid member of so I take those 350 fantastic reviews with a grain of salt.

Endurance is rated as the top Auto Service Contract by multiple sites.  Their cost was over 3k for 3yr/36k bumper to bumper (basically the same as the original factory warranty).  This is more the price I was expecting, but for that length it doesn't make sense for me to do until the factory Powertrain warranty goes out.

Does anyone have experience with any service contracts?  Has anyone heard of Delta Auto Protect?  The price seems too good to be true.  The first quote they gave me was $2400 but quickly dropped it quite a bit and included a $0 deductible.

With GMC reducing their Powertrain warranty on new models I'm also a bit nervous about the long run.

2012 SLT2 2WD 4 cyl
ls973800

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 07:47:10 AM »

I just saw a TV commercial yesterday advertising an extended warranty through Endurance.  What I found interesting was at the end of the commercial in the disclaimer was a statement I found puzzling.  It was to the effect that Endurance was a company which sells 3rd party warranties.  Made it sound like they don't have their own warranty, but are just a broker.

Not sure if this is the same company you have mentioned, but you need to be aware of all the small print, especially from aftermarket warranty companies.  There are some good ones, but too many stories about fly by night type companies.
dwendt44

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 08:44:40 AM »

Most aftermarket warranties aren't worth the paper they are written on.   Lot's of fraud  disallowed and so forth.
Best bet is one from the manufacturer of the particular vehicle.
The history is, the 'insurance' company advertises like crazy, signs up thousands of customers, maybe pays some early claims, then starts delaying payments for months, then suddenly disappears altogether.

Typically year four, they vanish into thin air.
Check with your dealer about extended warrantees.

SLT1 Merlot/black. v-6. FWD.

Dee Zee running boards.
rednox301

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 09:04:26 AM »

Major Guard by GM Protection Plan is the way to go.
See your dealer.

2014 Equinox  LTZ  FWD  3.6L. V-6 (LFX)  
GM6T70 Transmission  Gen II (M7W)
Crystal Red Tintcoat   Brownstone Leather
(FE2) Suspension   18" Wheels
Build Date: Nov. 04, 2013   Delivery Date: Nov. 25, 2013
kparrent

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 10:09:20 AM »

Thanks everyone.  I had actually contacted Ally (GM's finance company) about one a few weeks ago in response to something they sent in the mail.  They wanted me to go into the dealership for pricing and approval because they need to do an inspection on the car.  Totally makes sense, just hadn't gotten around to it.

2012 SLT2 2WD 4 cyl
scottfern

Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 10:41:32 AM »

I emailed gmoutlet.com yesterday and this is what they told me in regards to GMPP and how we should not use it and instead use the new GMEPP.

"GM owned GMAC for generations and in bankruptcy in 08/09 GM lost a large percentage of GMAC in restructuring. GMAC became Ally Bank/Auto and by December 2013 GM owned 0% of Ally. Ally owns the GM Protection Plan (GMPP) and thus GM no longer owns Ally's GMPP plan that GM previously owned for over 30 years. GM tried to buy Ally and the GMPP plan back after bankruptcy and a deal could not be reached; therefore GM came out with their own plan called the Chevrolet, GMC, Buick, Cadillac Extended Protection Plan Platinum by GM (GMEPP) in late 2013. Since the new GMEPP plan (100% owned by GM) is a competitor to the GMPP plan (100% owned by Ally) GM is not going to re-issue Ally/GMPP's licenses to use the GM name, and GMPP loses all access to GM Dealership computer systems after 2016.  (i.e. GM could not purchase back their own GM Protection Plan back from Ally after bankruptcy therefore they made their own plan to replace it and it is called the GM Extended Protection Plan). This is what this dealership and General Motors recommends and sells."

Just a FYI.
boston_terrain

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 03:20:41 PM »

I've been trying to contact GMC directly regarding an aftermarket warranty and they are saying they offer the "CBGC Protection Plan".  They gave me a phone # of local dealership that would help me out but when I called the dealership they said they offer no aftermarket warranties whatsoever.  I then called back GMC main customer support # and they told me that only certain dealerships will offer extended warranty.  I asked if they could provide me a list of who actually will offer it that is near me and the person on the phone was unable to do so.  It was kind of frustrating as I now have to call various dealerships to see if they offer an extended warranty. Does anyone else have similar experience?
fourmoremarine
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 07:38:05 PM »

I've been trying to contact GMC directly regarding an aftermarket warranty and they are saying they offer the "CBGC Protection Plan".  They gave me a phone # of local dealership that would help me out but when I called the dealership they said they offer no aftermarket warranties whatsoever.  I then called back GMC main customer support # and they told me that only certain dealerships will offer extended warranty.  I asked if they could provide me a list of who actually will offer it that is near me and the person on the phone was unable to do so.  It was kind of frustrating as I now have to call various dealerships to see if they offer an extended warranty. Does anyone else have similar experience?
www.gmoutlet.com   best way to go IMO

2013 Terrain slt traded in for 2016 Cadillac SRX
boston_terrain

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 07:11:45 AM »

www.gmoutlet.com   best way to go IMO

Thanks for the feedback.  I guess I still would have to find a dealership that would accept this protection plan once I bought it? 
mswerb

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 06:08:53 PM »

If a dealership is going to sell you an aftermarket extended warranty, that warranty is going to be dealer specific. I'd stay away. Save your money.

2007 Granite Gray Metallic Equinox
fourmoremarine
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 06:25:36 PM »

Thanks for the feedback.  I guess I still would have to find a dealership that would accept this protection plan once I bought it? 
all GM dealers accept the GM extended warranty which is offered via www.gmoutlet.com     

2013 Terrain slt traded in for 2016 Cadillac SRX
JayT2014
Theta Guru

2015 Equinox LTZ Champagne Silver Metallic

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2016, 03:08:19 PM »

Thanks everyone.  I had actually contacted Ally (GM's finance company) about one a few weeks ago in response to something they sent in the mail.  They wanted me to go into the dealership for pricing and approval because they need to do an inspection on the car.  Totally makes sense, just hadn't gotten around to it.

Hi . .. . . So, did you get  the extended warranty? Wondering the cost and if it is worth it?

2015 Equinox LTZ 3.6L FWD Champagne Silver Metallic *Build Date 1-08-2015  * * 18,000 miles
tom3

Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2016, 03:27:01 PM »

I'm an old, old gearhead and all things considered, no company in their right mind would offer a full warranty extension for any length of time on today's vehicles - at a reasonable price.  Seems like 95% of  modern vehicles is bulletproof, but that 5% would bankrupt any provider. Keep us posted on what you come up with. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: