EquinoxForum.net Bookmark and Share
July 28, 2014, 07:34:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Download our new iPhone, Android & Blackberry App! more info

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Driving 50,000 miles a year.......  (Read 6296 times)
dogger37

Email

Ignore
« on: September 15, 2010, 04:14:55 PM »

So I am a salesman for J&J and put on about 50,000 a year. The company does not provide us with a car so I have to use my own. We need to haul around a fair amount of surgical instruments/implants that we use during the surgeries.  I am currently driving a 2007 Yukon Denali. I like the vehicle but it now has 110,000 miles on it.  The dilemma I am having is what to do every few years when my vehicle hits 100,000. Should I keep it for another 100 or trade?  The problem with trading is that every 3 years I will take at least a $10,000 hit from getting a new vehicle. The downside to keeping a vehicle for a longtime would be the potential of breaking down and possible costly repairs. I am currently looking at a Terrain as a replacement but am looking for advice as to what makes the most financial sense.  Please post your experiences and opinions……..

Thanks,
                                                                          Donny
IceMan
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 05:10:27 PM »

Only a $10,000 dollar hit..with those kinda miles? Are you serious?
 I sure hope that J&J is paying you a very substancial yearly income...

2011 Equinox LTZ 2.4L FWD
Silver Ice Metallic/Jet Blk lthr
17" wheels
Premium Sound System
 Built 1st week in Aug..arrived Aug 23,2010
martdesr

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 02:51:34 AM »

If you get a fixed allocation for gaz I would go with the I4. That will sure be a big change compare to a Yukon Denali! I also read somewhere that a Denali version of the Terrain is in the prep.

2011 Equinox LTZ - AWD - I4
No options
Granit Black - Black Interior
Ordered June 7 2010
Picked up September 1st 2010
bballr4567
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 05:56:30 AM »

Highway miles are SUPER easy on a vehicle. Im betting you could get up to 300k miles on that Yukon before you needed to do anything to it.

However, without knowing if you get to write off the miles and get paid a stipend for fuel, I cant really suggest anything.

2010 Terrain SLE2, FWD, 4cyl, Merlot Jewel, Jet Black int., Convenience package
dogger37

Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 10:24:46 AM »

Get to write off the mileage but do not get reimbursed for fuel. So technically whether I get 5 or 50 MPG I get to deduct the same amount when you take the Standard mileage reimbursement rate set by the IRS. Very true that highway miles are easier on a vehicle however, i have had quite a few problems with the Denali.
eastex

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 12:13:24 PM »

From what I remember of this scenario, you can take the standard mileage deduction or you can keep track of actual cost incurred whichever is more to your advantage.  If you were being reimbursed for travel expenses from your company you could not legally claim mileage or actual cost as that would be considered double dipping.

2011 SLT2 V6 FWD
Olympic White, Brownstone Leather
Navigation
bballr4567
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 02:42:43 PM »

Hmmm, Ill ask my wife about this. She is a tax preparer and IIRC, it really does depend on the miles you drive which is better for you.

cottonseed

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 02:59:35 PM »

With proper care and maintenance there is no reason at all to not get X00,000 miles on a new car.  The MPG on the Nox/Terrain will def leave you with some more money in your pocket each year and if you are using it to commute just like I am the I4 is a no brainer.  My personal opinion is there is no reason to have the V6 unless you need the extra GVWR.  There is not one second I regret having the I4 AWD or ever wished I had the V6 and I drive alot (38-40k a year).  ECO mode bogs you down slightly but there is no issues passing people on the highway and thats at speeds around 70-85mph, not 15-20 mph.  If you need proof of that come see me going to work on the parkway and Ill put all doubts of the I4 behind you haha.

To sum it up in my point of view when compared to the Yukon:
I4 - best for long commutes, less $$ compared to a equally equipped V6
V6 - better for long commutes, best for hauling, more money then I4

2010 Nox LT
Cardinal Red / Jet Black
I4 AWD
oracle

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 08:29:32 AM »

For that much driving at your expense (I understand you take the depreciation hit, you just write off the mileage) I would never drive a new vehicle.
Get something used and cheap, possibly a diesel to save on gas and maintenance... Also some parameters should be what major service involves i.e. timing belt, water pump,etc.. (at that rate in 2-3 years you have the mileage)

Any car with good maintenance will easily see 350k before any work.. I would seriously look at a lease return or rental return and drive it until the wheels come off.

Best luck in your selection, post pictures when you get the car (whatever that is!)

2010 Terrain SLT-2
ajbowman

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 03:11:29 PM »

Have you considered a diesel?  I just bought a new Volkswagen Jetta diesel and I am loving it.  I am getting an honest 43 mpg (90% highway, 10% city) and I expect that to go up 3-4 mpg as it breaks in.  They also make a wagon... that would give you some room for your supplies.
dogger37

Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2010, 01:31:04 PM »

have thought of a diesel, however I need the hauling space of an SUV and will not be seen in a station wagon. The other problem is that I live in Pa and the winter is soo hard on the body of a vehicle. Even if the motor lasted forever the rest of the vehicle is basically shot within an 8 year span. 
bballr4567
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2010, 01:40:48 PM »

The Jetta wagon is insanely roomy. There is literally the same amount of space in the wagon as in the Terrain yet you get two times the MPG.

You kind of contradict yourself a little bit though. Are you going to trade the car after 2-3 years? If you are who cares about the rust.

Seriously, the wagon makes the most financial sense. Cheesy

Heck, even a new Golf has the same amount of space as the Terrain if you lower the rear seats.

sarahd221

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 05:39:56 PM »

Hmmmm...do you get paid for mileage?  Did you know this upfront when you got the job?  I have to use my car a lot for work, but I get paid.  I'm sure you can get it deducted on you taxes or something...I hope.  If most of the miles are highway then you should be able to keep it for much longer.  Just keep it tuned up and it should be good to go for 250-300k miles or so.  I'm working on 250k one of mine.

Sarahd -   Rapid Prototyping
NoobNox
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 08:13:13 PM »

have thought of a diesel, however I need the hauling space of an SUV and will not be seen in a station wagon. The other problem is that I live in Pa and the winter is soo hard on the body of a vehicle. Even if the motor lasted forever the rest of the vehicle is basically shot within an 8 year span. 
You might want to make sure the Terrain has enough room in the back for everything you carry...but it shouldn't be a problem unless you need to use the backseat for passengers at the same time you're hauling supplies. Also the weight of what you carry might make a difference in choosing the V6 over the I4...but I have the 4cyl in my Nox and it is just fine for every day running around and road trips.

2010 Equinox 2LT Silver Ice metallic, 2.4 I4, 2WD, Titanium leather
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: