EquinoxForum.net Bookmark and Share
October 01, 2014, 07:14:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum Tip: Click the little blue 'new' icon next to any topic to jump right to the first unread message.

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Outside Temperature Updates  (Read 23589 times)
cottonseed

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2011, 03:57:35 AM »

You're right it is a luxury, but whether I would buy a car or not because it didn't have a temp gauge would be rediculous. If that was the case, I'd have been walking everywhere for the last 52 years.
Just curious,  doesn't your wife listen to TV or the radio during the day? If not. I would just say "Honey better put on a jacket for tonight",  I wouldn't need a gauge to tell me that.
That's just my opinion and doesn't mean yours is wrong. If I could have a choice of an air temp gauge or any other type gauge, I'd choose the other.

Whats the point in ever advancing with technology with that theory.  Everything invented for the past 50 years or so has been a luxury and will continue to be so for days to come.  With technology as it is today the modern mass of people can be picky if a company includes a temp readout on the car.  If everyone thought that it shouldn't then it wouldn't give any auto makers any incentive to come up with new ideas to out do the rest, we would still be cranking the car in the morning on the drive to work while beeping our horns at the people still with horse drawn wagons.  While I wouldn't base my purchase on one soul feature alone it is to be expected that the automaker includes a $10 at most sensor on a ~30k car to display the outside temp at this point in time and expect it to work correctly.  Would you buy a NEW car that doesn't have power steering?  Well that might be stretching it cause my cheap ass boss bout a new car with crank windows, I guess he didnt want to spend the extra nickel.

2010 Nox LT
Cardinal Red / Jet Black
I4 AWD
NoobNox
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2011, 05:33:29 AM »

I can understand not really caring if your vehicle has an outside temp sensor or not, but personally I like knowing exactly how hot or cold it is outside when I'm driving around...and as some have mentioned, it's useful for alerting you to a temperature drop which could result in icing bridges and such.

2010 Equinox 2LT Silver Ice metallic, 2.4 I4, 2WD, Titanium leather
Terrain Denali

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2011, 07:10:06 AM »

I'm no expert so the electronic gurus out there feel free to correct me if needed.

It's my understanding that the outside temp display is more than just a convenience. Isn't it tied to the climate control system?

I thought it used the outside temp sensor to determine whether to provide heating or cooling. For example: if you remote start the vehicle and it's 20 degrees F the climate control will provide heat. If it's 90 F outside it will provide A/C.

My last vehicle had the outside temp sensor go bad. It was stuck on 41 degrees F even though it was in the 80's. Because of this the A/C would not work properly. After about 20 minutes of driving the sensor started working again and showed the correct temp of 80 degrees. At the same time the A/C began blowing cold air. This happened several times over a period of a week. I replaced the sensor and it fixed the problem.

Just food for thought.

2013 Terrain Denali
V6 with 19" Satin Chrome Wheels
Crystal Red Metallic
Intellilink with Nav
Tow Package
cottonseed

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2011, 07:19:55 AM »

I'm no expert so the electronic gurus out there feel free to correct me if needed.

It's my understanding that the outside temp display is more than just a convenience. Isn't it tied to the climate control system?

I thought it used the outside temp sensor to determine whether to provide heating or cooling. For example: if you remote start the vehicle and it's 20 degrees F the climate control will provide heat. If it's 90 F outside it will provide A/C.

My last vehicle had the outside temp sensor go bad. It was stuck on 41 degrees F even though it was in the 80's. Because of this the A/C would not work properly. After about 20 minutes of driving the sensor started working again and showed the correct temp of 80 degrees. At the same time the A/C began blowing cold air. This happened several times over a period of a week. I replaced the sensor and it fixed the problem.

Just food for thought.

I would bet that you are correct.  I know the A/C is tied into it all one way or another.  My proof?  When my coolant temp gauge went fritzy it locked the A/C out so it could not be used.  With the network cars have now a days everything can be interconnected and have or be controlled by something else.

2010 Nox LT
Cardinal Red / Jet Black
I4 AWD
GARYD
Theta Freak

USMC 3RD TANK BATT. VIETNAM 1965-1966

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2011, 08:21:37 AM »

The air temp gauge in my other cars had nothing to do with the heating/cooling system.
NoobNox, why do you need to know if it's 72* or 75* or even 80* what would you do differently for each temp?
cottonseed, I agree that technology is a good thing, for the most part, but in my opinion the air temp gauge is meaningless. Wouldn't you rather have a oil pressure gauge instead....something that would let you know if something was wrong with the engine? Or how about a windshield washer fluid level gauge. I'd take that over the air gauge any day. What would most people want if you could only have one ..... the air gauge or fluid level gauge?

Z_Ghost, and knowing if it's over or under 32 what are you going to do differently for each?  30* vs 35*?

Having an air sensor (needed)is one thing but an air temp gauge is another(not needed).
All I said was that gauge was unneccessory and I still believe that. If you like it, that's fine. No one's going to take it away from you.

2010 Terrain SLT-2
AWD, 6CYL. Onyx Black
Every Conceivable option
2010 Harley Ultra Limited
tsduke

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2011, 10:25:54 AM »

GARYD,

I see your tone is pretty much the same in every thread you drop into. 

Does you local weather station only report hot or cold instead of the actual temp?

2011 Equinox 2LT FWD 2.4L
Black Granite Metallic
Build Date 6/21/2011
Terrain Denali

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2011, 11:49:42 AM »

Quote:"The air temp gauge in my other cars had nothing to do with the heating/cooling system."

If you had auto climate control in your other cars the temp sensor probably did have something to do with it.
If you had a manual heater A/C system then it didn't.

Same with the Equinox and Terrain. Manual systems just show the temp. It doesn't interact with the system.

2013 Terrain Denali
V6 with 19" Satin Chrome Wheels
Crystal Red Metallic
Intellilink with Nav
Tow Package
fourmoremarine
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2011, 01:57:00 PM »

All I can contribute is my use for an outside air temp gauge: Sometimes I pick up my wife after work and get dinner. I call her on my way home, and with an outside air gauge I can tell her what to wear (shorts, jeans, jacket). The temp gauge is a luxury, not a necessity. I do judge vehicles these days by whether they have one or not. If it has one its at least a decent vehicle. If it doesnt then its either a few years old and/or basic transportation.

I also like to take pics when its either really cold (38 or below in CA is really cold) or really hot (110 +) and send them to my freinds in other states. Once again, not a necessity but a nice luxury.
Guess on your next vehicle your only going to want one if it has onboard cameras for your picture taking???/

cottonseed

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2011, 02:00:32 PM »

Guess on your next vehicle your only going to want one if it has onboard cameras for your picture taking???/

I know I want that feature.  I have alot of neighbors to impress.

2010 Nox LT
Cardinal Red / Jet Black
I4 AWD
rbarrios
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2011, 03:11:16 PM »

Outside Air Temperature Display Operation
The outside air temperature is displayed on the Driver Information Center,radio, or rear view mirror in a number of GM vehicles. There may be some confusion about the operation of the display and how quickly it updates ambient temperature. Depending on several factors, the temperature may not be updated immediately and owners may feel that the display is inaccurate at times.
 As an example, here's a look at the operation of the outside air temperature display on several GM small cars from recent model years (2004-2007 Malibu/Maxx; 2005-2010 Cobalt and G6; 2005-2006 Pursuit [Canada]; 2006-2009 Solstice; 2006-2011 HHR; 2007-2010 AURA, SKY and G5; 2008 Malibu Classic; 2008-2010 Malibu).

The ambient air temperature sensor is a variable resistor interfaced to the Body Control Module (BCM). The BCM provides the logic for reading the ambient air temperature sensor, filtering the data and transmitting the information via the serial data circuit to the outside temperature display. The outside air temperature algorithm uses three pieces of information: outside air temperature data, vehicle speed, and the time the engine was turned off.
 When the engine is first started, the algorithm looks at how long the engine was off and if the outside temperature is lower than the last reading taken during the previous ignition cycle. From this information, it's determined if a new outside temperature reading should be taken.
 If the engine was off long enough or the current outside air temperature is cooler than the stored value, a new outside temperature reading is taken and displayed. If the engine was not off long enough or the current outside air temperature is higher than the stored value from the previous ignition cycle, the last stored value of outside air temperature taken will be displayed.

The outside air temperature will continue to be updated every second as long as the outside air temperature is the same or cooler than the previous reading. Once the new outside air temperature reading exceeds the previous temperature and the vehicle is traveling less than 18 mph (29 km/h), the displayed outside air temperature will remain at its last value. Once the vehicle speed exceeds 18 mph, the displayed outside air temperature will be updated. If the speed drops below 18 mph, the outside air temperature will freeze at its last value.

When using a scan tool during diagnosis, it is possible that the temperature reading on the Tech 2 will differ from the temperature displayed on the DIC/radio without there being a problem with the vehicle. The DIC/Radio only displays the reading being sent from the BCM.

2013 Equinox  LT1 3.6L V6 FWD -   27,000
2010 Traverse LT1 3.6L V6 FWD -  84,000
2003 Trailblazer LS  4.2L I6 RWD- 173,000
rbarrios
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »

Remote Start Seat Heating and Ventilation

Some Global A architecture vehicles (2010 Camaro, LaCrosse, SRX, Equinox, Terrain) allow the driver to configure the heated and ventilated seats (if equipped) to turn on once a remote start is commanded.
Refer to the Vehicle Personalization Climate and Air Quality menu settings using the audio system controls to turn the remote start heated and vented seats feature on/off.
The heated seats will only operate if the outside air temperature is below 50 (10) as measured by the outside air temperature sensor. Seat ventilation will only operate if the outside air temperature is above 80F (27C).
When seat heating is commanded, the heating level will be set to the High setting. On some vehicles, the LED display for the heating or ventilation level will not be illuminated during remote start operation.
When the key is inserted in the ignition and turned to the On position, the heated seats will automatically turn off. If heated seat operation is desired after the remote start, the heated seat will need to be activated manually by the occupant.
Be aware that during remote start heated seat operation, since there is no occupant in the seat, the occupant may feel little or no difference in the temperature of the seat. This condition is due to little heat transfer to the seat cover since there is no weight on the cushion. With remote start still active, once the seat is occupied and the seat cover is pressed against the heater element, heat will begin to transfer more rapidly to the seat cover.

2013 Equinox  LT1 3.6L V6 FWD -   27,000
2010 Traverse LT1 3.6L V6 FWD -  84,000
2003 Trailblazer LS  4.2L I6 RWD- 173,000
fourmoremarine
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2011, 03:39:45 PM »

Ya, you'll be able to take their picture as their holding their breath as they gawk at your impressive Nav system that you need for your daily drive to work...

TheCrow1994

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2011, 05:23:18 PM »

Me too....where can I get one of them at?

2010 'Nox
Mocha Steel Metallic LTZ
4 Cyl AWD
17" Wheels
Navigation & Sunroof
Jet Black/Brownstone Leather
Weathertech DigitalFit Floorliners & Cargo Liner
Built 6/11/10 - Received 7/1/10
GARYD
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2011, 08:49:59 PM »

tsduke,
1. What tone are you talking about?  You don't like someone asking questions and then commenting on the answers when some seem of them don't seem to make any sense? When someone says they need the air gauge to tell them how fast to drive....don't you want to know what they mean by that? I sure do.
2. No, but you're inside your house and probably haven't gone out yet....in a car you already know what the temp is, you don't need a gauge to tell you that and besides I only watch the weather to see what the temps will be in the coming week, not what it is right now.

Black Granite LTZ, The air temp gauge (which is what we are talking about)has nothing to do with the auto climate control....the temp sensor does.

2010 Terrain SLT-2
AWD, 6CYL. Onyx Black
Every Conceivable option
bballr4567
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2011, 08:56:04 PM »

Subject:Inaccurate or Slow Response of Outside Air Temperature Display

Models:2011 Chevrolet Cruze

The following information may be helpful if you encounter a vehicle with this condition. You may show or offer a copy of this PI to your customer.
Condition/Concern

Some customers may comment that the outside air temperature display is inaccurate when starting the vehicle, or that the display is slow to change/update after starting the vehicle.
Recommendation/Instructions

An intentional delay is built into the system, as a parked vehicle encounters conditions that may cause inaccurate readings of the outside air temperature. Higher than actual readings could be encountered if the vehicle is left sitting in direct sunlight, or if the vehicle engine is warm when parked.
To assure greater accuracy of the reported outside air temperature, the display is programmed to perform updates on the following schedule when the vehicle is started.

If the vehicle is driven at:

1. 25-40 km/h (15-25 mph), , the display will update after 5 minutes.
   2. 41-60 km/h (26-37 mph) , the display will update after 2 min 30 sec.
   3. 61-100 km/h (38-62 mph) , the display will update after 1 minute.

Once the first temperature update begins, the outside temperature display is refreshed every 2 seconds.
Important: The outside temperature display will update immediately if the vehicle is turned off for more than 200 minutes or if the sensed outside temperature is below the value when the ignition was previously turned off.
Found this on a Cruze forum. Maybe ours is the same way.

2010 Terrain SLE2, FWD, 4cyl, Merlot Jewel, Jet Black int., Convenience package
mIX

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2011, 11:06:51 PM »

Remote Start Seat Heating and Ventilation

Some Global A architecture vehicles (2010 Camaro, LaCrosse, SRX, Equinox, Terrain) allow the driver to configure the heated and ventilated seats (if equipped) to turn on once a remote start is commanded.
Refer to the Vehicle Personalization Climate and Air Quality menu settings using the audio system controls to turn the remote start heated and vented seats feature on/off.
The heated seats will only operate if the outside air temperature is below 50 (10) as measured by the outside air temperature sensor. Seat ventilation will only operate if the outside air temperature is above 80F (27C).
When seat heating is commanded, the heating level will be set to the High setting. On some vehicles, the LED display for the heating or ventilation level will not be illuminated during remote start operation.
When the key is inserted in the ignition and turned to the On position, the heated seats will automatically turn off. If heated seat operation is desired after the remote start, the heated seat will need to be activated manually by the occupant.
Be aware that during remote start heated seat operation, since there is no occupant in the seat, the occupant may feel little or no difference in the temperature of the seat. This condition is due to little heat transfer to the seat cover since there is no weight on the cushion. With remote start still active, once the seat is occupied and the seat cover is pressed against the heater element, heat will begin to transfer more rapidly to the seat cover.

So why does it seem that my seats are not being heated at all? It's often -15C to -20C in the mornings here and even if I extend the remote start the second time for about 15-20 min of heat up it doesn't seem to have any warmth. I have to turn it on manually after I put the key in before I feel any heat at all.

2011 Terrain SLT-1 - I4
Carbon Black Metallic, Jet Black/Light Titanium Leather
Pioneer Sound System, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Power Lift Gate, Splash Guards
bballr4567
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2011, 11:54:14 PM »

So why does it seem that my seats are not being heated at all? It's often -15C to -20C in the mornings here and even if I extend the remote start the second time for about 15-20 min of heat up it doesn't seem to have any warmth. I have to turn it on manually after I put the key in before I feel any heat at all.
Its already been proven that the seats heat up at the lower level by a past member. He used a infrared gun to measure the seats and the fronts were much warmer than the backs.

Make sure your option is turned on and you have to turn them back on when you start it. They are designed that way.

2010 Terrain SLE2, FWD, 4cyl, Merlot Jewel, Jet Black int., Convenience package
GARYD
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2011, 11:58:57 PM »

I agree with bballr. That's what I've been led to believe. As soon as I get in the car I push the seat heat button and in no time it's hot.

2010 Terrain SLT-2
AWD, 6CYL. Onyx Black
Every Conceivable option
Z_Ghost

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2011, 02:45:03 AM »

Z_Ghost, and knowing if it's over or under 32 what are you going to do differently for each?  30* vs 35*?

Slow down and stay away from other drivers if it's been wet out during the day.
I drive homw at 3 am so I have enough to watch out for with the drunks out there.
Besides why is such a big deal that the Terrain has a temp gauge to you?

2011 Terrain SLT2 Carbon Black Brownstone Nav I4 FWD

92 Z/28 Camaro
92 B4C Camaro
I live in Texas-But my Heart lives in Yellowstone
GARYD
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2011, 08:39:35 AM »

Z_Ghost, It's not a big deal to me .... at all. All I did was give MY opinion on the temp gauge. Didn't mean that it doesn't mean anything to others. If it makes people happy that's great. I was just trying to understand some of the answers that were posted and asked what they meant by them. I don't know why some are getting so upset with my questions. Don't they have an answer?
When I say something and someone doesn't understand what I said and asks a question, I answer it. No big deal.
You say the temp will tell you how to drive around other cars. Again I have to ask, don't you already know the temp buy the time you get in the car and whether you need to drive more slowly or not? Just a simple question, nothing meant by it. I've was always taught, if I didn't understand something ask a question. Some people seem to resent that.

The one air temp gauge that I will never understand is the one on a motorcycle.

2010 Terrain SLT-2
AWD, 6CYL. Onyx Black
Every Conceivable option
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: