EquinoxForum.net Bookmark and Share
July 22, 2014, 06:14:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum Tip: Click the little blue 'new' icon next to any topic to jump right to the first unread message.

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Service AWD System" light came on - dealer says no real biggie ?  (Read 16782 times)
Alberta_Girl

Ignore
« on: November 22, 2010, 05:34:00 PM »

Hello good people :-)

I received my first OnStar Diagnostic Report by email last evening.   Everything good, no problems.

This afternoon when leaving work, started vehicle, saw a light on that said "Service All Wheel Drive System."   I hoped it was just a glitch so I turned vehicle off, then turned it back on; still the message.

Called up my favorite (cough cough) dealership, spoke w/ Service Manager (he's my fave, too).   Told me it could be that nothing wrong w/ system other than condensation somewhere (sensor?), could be a problem with the sensor, could be problem with wires, etc.   Told me it just means that I currently likely only have FWD, no biggie.   I explained to him, nicely of course, that if I was satisfied w/ FWD I would have purchased a FWD vehicle :-)    If I can't get it in until next week (I likely will go to another dealership), could I do any major harm by continuing to drive it?

I don't understand him saying that as per GM, if the vehicle is drivable that I don't get a vehicle to drive while mine is in the shop, that that's how the warranty works.   Well my vehicle is a month old and last I checked it's not normal for have issues w/ AWD so um?   It's okay to just leave problems for a week as opposed to proactively deal with them before they turn into something bigger or cause more damage?

Told me I'm SOL, they're booked up until next Tuesday and if I was to bring it in before then to leave it there for a day for them to "try" and squeeze me in, because the vehicle is "drivable" I wouldn't get a rental or courtesy vehicle.  

It is very cold here today, -32 celcius, vehicle sat in parking lot at work for 10 hours.   Maybe issues w/ condensation or ice or sensor?

I realize that just because OnStar's report from last night indicated no issues w/ AWD, that doesn't mean something couldn't have changed since then..............but would I not receive an email notification from them today IF there really was an issue? (as opposed to it just being a glitch or sensor issue and no actual issue w/ the AWD).   How quickly do they send out an email if there is an issue?  OR do they ONLY send once monthly basic diagnostic reports? (can't seem to find info on their site that indicates they would send an email if a problem was detected, just that they send monthly reports)

I don't know if this is stupid but I'm hoping that it sitting in my garage for a few hours will make a difference if it's ice or condensation?   (though garage not heated).   Do you think this might help?  (I'll go out and start it in a few hours and see if msg still there)

Couldn't really "tell" if drove home w/ only FWD.   Not really sure if that's something that would be all that noticeable?   Very icy conditions so everyone driving at a snail's pace so hard to tell.

Thx
Alberta_Girl

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 06:04:01 PM »

DISREGARD ABOVE.

Being the impatient person that I am  Tongue I went out and started vehicle in garage.   Service light for AWD did NOT come on this time so much have been iced or condensation.  Whew.

Instead of deleting my post, thought I'd leave it in the event that someone else experiences this.
oracle

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 07:29:46 PM »

The terrain was out for 4 hrs in Market mall and didn't have any warnings.. but the other day what happened was the heated seats didn't work, just like you after I came home and let the car sit warm for a few hours I tried the seats and worked perfectly! So maybe the car does get too cold sometimes.

You can call the onstar people (via blue button not phone) and ask them to run a "on demand vehicle diagnostic", this is free of charge and they'll read to you if there is anything wrong and most important advise you what to do, they have actually connected my call to the dealership and get the appointment set right there.. really cool.

I wouldn't worry too much unless it happens again. The new cars are very-very complicated. The new car has to settle.

By the way the trick to get the dealership to get you a rental is to make it dramatic, I was told and used it once and it actually worked, something like this: this is more than an inconvenience and that you fear you will have an accident. And if you do you'll hold them accountable.

2010 Terrain SLT-2
Alberta_Girl

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 07:44:30 PM »

The terrain was out for 4 hrs in Market mall and didn't have any warnings.. but the other day what happened was the heated seats didn't work, just like you after I came home and let the car sit warm for a few hours I tried the seats and worked perfectly! So maybe the car does get too cold sometimes.

You can call the onstar people (via blue button not phone) and ask them to run a "on demand vehicle diagnostic", this is free of charge and they'll read to you if there is anything wrong and most important advise you what to do, they have actually connected my call to the dealership and get the appointment set right there.. really cool.

I wouldn't worry too much unless it happens again. The new cars are very-very complicated. The new car has to settle.

By the way the trick to get the dealership to get you a rental is to make it dramatic, I was told and used it once and it actually worked, something like this: this is more than an inconvenience and that you fear you will have an accident. And if you do you'll hold them accountable.

Thanks a lot for your response, Oracle.   Really good to know about the "on demand diagnostic" one can request, that's awesome!

Question for you...........you know how one can set their vehicle such that when you remote start it, the heated seats will come on.   I have it set up for this but in this cold weather (and even before it became quite this cold), when I get into my vehicle (the times the remote starter works) I don't feel my seat warm (I have the cloth seats).   Should the warmth be noticeable?   I know it says in the manual, something to the effect of "it won't be as warm as if someone sitting in the sit with heated seats on."   Almost seems like this feature doesn't work though it's definitely turned "on" in my settings.
fourmoremarine
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 07:55:00 PM »

Thanks a lot for your response, Oracle.   Really good to know about the "on demand diagnostic" one can request, that's awesome!

Question for you...........you know how one can set their vehicle such that when you remote start it, the heated seats will come on.   I have it set up for this but in this cold weather (and even before it became quite this cold), when I get into my vehicle (the times the remote starter works) I don't feel my seat warm (I have the cloth seats).   Should the warmth be noticeable?   I know it says in the manual, something to the effect of "it won't be as warm as if someone sitting in the sit with heated seats on."   Almost seems like this feature doesn't work though it's definitely turned "on" in my settings.
I'm ot sure, but isn't the dealer supposed to give you a rental if they keep your vehicle overnight?
sounds like you may have a a** for a dealer.. I feel for you sounds like it's really cold where your at..
On the heated seats,,,could it be that you may have more winter clothes on and are not feeling the heat?

Alberta_Girl

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 08:39:00 PM »

I'm ot sure, but isn't the dealer supposed to give you a rental if they keep your vehicle overnight?
sounds like you may have a a** for a dealer.. I feel for you sounds like it's really cold where your at..
On the heated seats,,,could it be that you may have more winter clothes on and are not feeling the heat?

Yeah, really nice dealership for sure. 

I wear a big parka but still jeans as in warmer weather so no extra clothing on my butt LOL (good suggestions, though).   Guess I'll have to make a list of things so when I do eventually take it in, they can check everything.

Not sure about them giving a rental.   With my last vehicle (the infamous Escape), I had to leave it overnight for 2 nights and at my cost I had to pay for a rental.   My vehicle at that time was used and only on extended warranty so not sure if there's a difference between original warranty and extended? 
fourmoremarine
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 09:26:28 PM »

During the warranty coverage period, this GMC program provides alternate transportation and/or reimbursement of certain transportation expenses under the Courtesy Transportation Program if your vehicle requires warranty repairs. Several transportation options are available. Refer to your Owners Manual for details, including reservation of rights, or consult your dealer/retailer.

DavidPJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 05:08:29 AM »

I remember my dealer telling me that if they have to have the vehicle overnight, they will provide a free loaner. This is under the standard warranty coverage.

2011 Terrain SLT-1, 4 Cyl, FWD, Mocha Steel
Brownstone Leather, NAV, Rear DVD, Power Liftgate, Michelin Latitude Tires, PIAA Silicon Wipers, Penzoil Platinum Plus
bballr4567
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 07:29:08 AM »

If there is water in the system, it doesnt need to be there. His excuse is just that. They just dont want to work on it. Good thing about the new vehicles is that it set a code and the computer will remember it.

Get it in.

PS. Find a new dealership! lol

2010 Terrain SLE2, FWD, 4cyl, Merlot Jewel, Jet Black int., Convenience package
oracle

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 03:10:37 PM »

Hi,
 No, is not as warm as me on the seat with the highest setting. I could swear it is in the lowest setting. It does work but not hot-hot, especially at -28 it barely feels not-cold and this after the 10 minutes limit.
I suspect this is for people who will try to sue GM because they "got burned" by the seats being too warm..  (you know crazy world we live in)

...when I get into my vehicle (the times the remote starter works) I don't feel my seat warm (I have the cloth seats).   Should the warmth be noticeable?  

2010 Terrain SLT-2
GMCdriver

2010 AWD Terrain SLE2 V6 - Blue w/Titanium

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 06:31:00 PM »

I used to manager a customer service call center for a Canadian GM dealership & a Canadian Ford dealership so I can five you some feedback baised on my professional experiance.

In Canada they only have to provide you with a loaner vehicle if the work is warranty and will need more then 8 hours of shop time.
Also, the dealer can only get reimbursed from GM if the rental/loaner is a GM product.
They will never get reimbursed for a loaner vehicle that they give a customer to drive during the diagnostic phase of a service transaction unless the vehicle problem is classed as 'unsafe to drive by GM'.

A 'service AWD' warrning light will usually mean that the AWD had been disabled leaving the vehicle fully functional in 2wd, AKA safe to drive.
The reason it disables the AWD in a situation like this is to leave the vehicle opperational and prevent it from doing damage to itself.
I would bet that it will either need a sensor replaced or a computer modual replaced.
mnussbaum

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 07:12:03 PM »

Instead of deleting my post, thought I'd leave it in the event that someone else experiences this.
Excellent idea.

That IS really cool!

PS. Find a new dealership! lol
x2, your dealer is passing the buck.

Mike
2011 Chevy Equinox | 1LT | FWD | 4 cyl | Twilight Blue | Jet Black, Light Titanium | Driver's Convenience Pkg | Cargo Mgmt Pkg
Ruckus

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 07:46:46 PM »

Normally I hate to necropost, but this is the main Google search result for "2010 GMC Terrain "Service AWD"".  I got the same warning this morning on the way to work (temperature was -35 C).

According to the Owner's manual, you basically just have to find somewhere to pull over and shut off the engine, then restart, and it should re-poll the AWD system sensors and if everything checks out it shouldn't display the error.  If the error displays after restarting, then you should take it to the dealership or get the errcode from Onstar.

My local dealership independently backed this up, and also mentioned the Tire Pressure Monitor systems as being occasionally jittery in cold weather, basically the same deal, you'll get a TPMS warning, shut off the engine, restart, and then it's fine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: