EquinoxForum.net Bookmark and Share
September 17, 2014, 02:32:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to TerrainForum, EquinoxForum & SRXForum! We're glad you found us!

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Poll
Question: Did you sign up for the OnStar and XM after the free trial ran out?
Yes-OnStar - 50 (18.1%)
Yes-XM radio - 67 (24.2%)
kept both - 64 (23.1%)
don't want either - 96 (34.7%)
Total Voters: 276

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did you keep the OnStar and XM after the trial period  (Read 90517 times)
hfdad

Ignore
« on: November 28, 2010, 12:56:28 PM »

I was wondering how many kept the Onstar and XM radio service after the trial period was up.
jbatc

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 01:51:45 PM »

I've had many GM vehicles and have never kept the Onstar.  I'm addicted to XM and I've already extended my account after the 3 month trial. 

2011 Chevy Equinox AWD, 3.0L V6 with nav, black granite
terrainasaurus

joniron111@yahoo.com

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 02:50:23 PM »

I have an existing XM account and if they make me a good offer I will add my Terrain to my account if not Bye, Bye XM. I like the On Star and use the turn by turn, but it is too expensive to continue it.

2011 SLE, sunroof, convenience pkg. tlr. pkg.
RNOX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 05:50:25 PM »

I kept neither.  No use for On-Star and XM drops often.  My kids did like the childrens station
SuperMat64

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 05:58:28 PM »

It makes me laugh seeing people talk about OnStar... "No use for OnStar"

THE day it will have save your life in an accident you will be more than happy to have paid for that service....

And OnStar is a lot more than road assistance and crash assistance.

It a geolocation device in case of a stolen car and more than that, they can slow down the stolen vehicule to help police recover it.

It can also unlock your door in case you forget your keys in the car.

It's a concierge service that can book you hotels and help you find the nearest hospital or shopping center.

OnStar is a wonderful service and yes i am paying for it. It also help drop my car insurance pricing.

SURVEY : You forgot to put the choice : Subscribed to both of them

2010 GMC Terrain SLT-2 V6 AWD w/tow package
Mocha Metallic Steel / Brownstone Interior
19" OEM GMC Chrome Wheels with TOYO Versado CUV / 18" OEM GMC Wheels with Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1
Fully loaded no NAV... Garmin 1490LMT GPS
Xtreme HID 5000k White Low Beam / Xtreme HID 5000k White Fogs
GARYD
Theta Freak

USMC 3RD TANK BATT. VIETNAM 1965-1966

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 11:02:21 PM »

My wife wants OnStar...so we have OnStar, but I will never pay to listen to radio. 99% of the time I listen to home burned CD's (50's and 60's) so I never have to listen to anything I don't like. I haven't liked what's been called music for the last 20 years. To and from work I usually listen to talk radio.
I remember when radio was free, TV was free, water was free, air was free. Now we pay for all of that. I hope they never figure out how to charge us for the sunlight.  Grin

2010 Terrain SLT-2
AWD, 6CYL. Onyx Black
Every Conceivable option
2010 Harley Ultra Limited
SuperMat64

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 06:14:52 AM »

I agree with you. But i am paying for xm because it make me discover new music that i would never heard other way....

My wife wants OnStar...so we have OnStar, but I will never pay to listen to radio. 99% of the time I listen to home burned CD's (50's and 60's) so I never have to listen to anything I don't like. I haven't liked what's been called music for the last 20 years. To and from work I usually listen to talk radio.
I remember when radio was free, TV was free, water was free, air was free. Now we pay for all of that. I hope they never figure out how to charge us for the sunlight.  Grin

19" OEM GMC Chrome Wheels with TOYO Versado CUV / 18" OEM GMC Wheels with Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1
Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 06:15:29 AM »

My radio is still free, and so is my TV (OTA HD), water ($25/yr), and air.  But, living in the NorthEast, I have to travel to Florida for sunlight.

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
Seveniron

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 07:22:12 AM »

I remember when radio was free,

And I remember when radio stations were actually something I could listen to. But, alas the time of playing any song off an album is long gone, replaced by: they only play it if it's a hit, and add 30 minutes per hour for commercials for stuff I don't want to buy. I pay about $8 a month for XM, and I can live with that. I also found that XM worked great on my trip from Quebec to Alberta this year, as there is no radio coverage in lots of Ontario areas.

But of course, each to their own, as we all have our preferences.

2010 GMC Terrain SLT-1 I4 FWD
Merlot Jewel Metallic with Jet Black Leather
Power Sunroof - Programmable Lift Gate
IceMan
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 08:50:05 AM »

Guess it's just how some prefer to live life. Many seem to not mind an abundance of monthly payments to help them feel more secure or in the swing of things. 'On Star'...to hold their hand and 'maybe' come to the rescue while traveling through life. Necessities that many can't seem to live without now..and some..really no matter the costs as they mount up. I suppose that I'm oldschool. Been driving for over four decades without drastically being stranded out in the boonies in a life or death scenario. I often ride on two wheels and find my way without monthly fees to direction me to safety.
 Also I can even easily load enough music in our cars to make it here and their without paying someone per month to feed it to me...OR..I can push a button and free FM flows through a pretty nice sound system.
 Don't get me wrong....some of these are nice and handy conveniences..but more and more are conditioning themselves to the idea that they play a part in life that is an undenialbe 'must have'...even if they rarely..or never use some of them as years go by. Me?..I'll freely make my own music...and recklessly wait for that unseen desaster that may never happen..without the per month fee. Thank you very much.

2011 Equinox LTZ 2.4L FWD
Silver Ice Metallic/Jet Blk lthr
17" wheels
Premium Sound System
 Built 1st week in Aug..arrived Aug 23,2010
RNOX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 08:58:08 AM »

Guess it's just how some prefer to live life. Many seem to not mind an abundance of monthly payments to help them feel more secure or in the swing of things. 'On Star'...to hold their hand and 'maybe' come to the rescue while traveling through life. Necessities that many can't seem to live without now..and some..really no matter the costs as they mount up. I suppose that I'm oldschool. Been driving for over four decades without drastically being stranded out in the boonies in a life or death scenario. I often ride on two wheels and find my way without monthly fees to direction me to safety.
 Also I can even easily load enough music in our cars to make it here and their without paying someone per month to feed it to me...OR..I can push a button and free FM flows through a pretty nice sound system.
 Don't get me wrong....some of these are nice and handy conveniences..but more and more are conditioning themselves to the idea that they play a part in life that is an undenialbe 'must have'...even if they rarely..or never use some of them as years go by. Me?..I'll freely make my own music...and recklessly wait for that unseen desaster that may never happen..without the per month fee. Thank you very much.

I agree.. These companies market these things hard too. On-Star has the commercials (Vastly edited) that go right to peoples feelings
GARYD
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 09:26:47 AM »

SuperMat, I already know what kind of music I like, so I don't have to discover something new. I like all types of music...except hiphop or rap.

RIT333, many small unique radio stations are closing up shop, I only get 5 TV stations in my area, water costs me a whole lot more the $25 and air cost anywhere from a quarter to $1 to fill your tires at gas stations around here. I'd send you some sunshine if it didn't cost so much to mail it to you.  Grin

Seveniron, that's why I burn my own songs or play a CD from my favorite artist...for those long stretches where there is no reception. I do agree about the commercials, but there are some funny ones that make me laugh.

And as Iceman said, I try to keep those %$# monthly bills to a minimum. I wouldn't even have OnStar if my wife didn't want it. The cost isn't that much for the peace of mind it gives you. Thankfully we all get to do what WE want.  Now I'm trying to think how people in the past were able to survive without any of those electronic gadgets...their life must have been really BORING.    Cheesy

I remember the sweat I use to get putting a 45 rpm record on the player......and then getting up to turn it over.  Grin

2010 Terrain SLT-2
AWD, 6CYL. Onyx Black
Every Conceivable option
SuperMat64

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 09:52:43 AM »

Sorry, i didnt know that you know all the new artists out there already and that you are not open to discover new artists/musics.

Thinkin that way all new things are useless.

SuperMat, I already know what kind of music I like, so I don't have to discover something new. I like all types of music...except hiphop or rap.

RIT333, many small unique radio stations are closing up shop, I only get 5 TV stations in my area, water costs me a whole lot more the $25 and air cost anywhere from a quarter to $1 to fill your tires at gas stations around here. I'd send you some sunshine if it didn't cost so much to mail it to you.  Grin

Seveniron, that's why I burn my own songs or play a CD from my favorite artist...for those long stretches where there is no reception. I do agree about the commercials, but there are some funny ones that make me laugh.

And as Iceman said, I try to keep those %$# monthly bills to a minimum. I wouldn't even have OnStar if my wife didn't want it. The cost isn't that much for the peace of mind it gives you. Thankfully we all get to do what WE want.  Now I'm trying to think how people in the past were able to survive without any of those electronic gadgets...their life must have been really BORING.    Cheesy

I remember the sweat I use to get putting a 45 rpm record on the player......and then getting up to turn it over.  Grin

Sgt1411

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 10:21:17 AM »

Some very interesting discussions at the GM Authority site about On* about to announce a partnership with Google in an effort to catch up to Microsoft/Ford SYNC.

Hopefully this comes true with some text to speech functionality and perhaps some Internet access through Google's Android OS

Very promising

2011 GMC Terrain SLT-1 AWD I4
Carbon Black Metallic/Jet Black Leather Interior
18in Machined Wheels, Sunroof, Security Package

2011 Explorer Limited V6 4WD Black/Black Technology & Luxury Seat Package, Navigation, 20" Polished Aluminum Wheels, 2nd Row Buckets & Console, Moonroof, Headrest DVD.
coreyp

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 11:13:59 AM »

A great alternative to XM/Sirius is your Smartphone! I know many of you have one....looking at all the posts for the Onstar Mobile app on this forum. All you need to do is plug it into you USB/iPod connector and use the Pandora app or many other free music apps that are available.....For the most part they offer commercial free music which you can also skip songs!  As long as you have a cell signal, it works!  BINGO!

2011 Equinox LT2
Awd I4
Black Granite Metallic
Black Leather Seats
Power lift gate
E&G Chrome Mesh Grille
Husky weather beater floor mats
Ordered 07/27/10 delivered 09/18/10
GARYD
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 04:45:57 PM »

SuperMat, yes I do know all the new artists out there, that's why I don't need XM radio. I hear them on other peoples radios or on one of the talk shows or SNL.
I haven't heard anyone I really liked for at least 30 years. I will admit I did discover 2 groups on Limewire about a year ago that I really do like, but they are from the 70's. Not too many have ever heard of them....BZN and BONEY M. I'm still a 50's/60's rock and roll lover and some older country.
A lot of the younger members of my HOG chapter can't stand my 60's music. Everyone has their own tastes.
I guess only old farts like the original rock and roll music. Grin

2010 Terrain SLT-2
AWD, 6CYL. Onyx Black
Every Conceivable option
DavidPJ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 06:03:22 PM »

When my trials are up, I'm definitely not renewing XM and most like will not renew OnStar either. I've had XM over the years so it's not a new thrill for me. Over time I find that I get tired of XM just like I do with FM. At this point I usually prefer silence to radio, but if I have the radio on, it's usually tuned to NPR or an ecletic radio station. And this is from a former hard core rocker that still occassionally listens to rock from the 60s to current music. Also, I just can't stand XM and their heavy handed sales techniques. The frustration they put people through on the phone to cancel services is unreal. Lastly, this is my wife's Terrain and she never listens to XM, even though it's right there and free!

Regarding OnStar, I find it useful but I doubt I will renew the service. I like the vehicle report feature, but unfortunately you have to have OnStar to use it. My Ford Escape has only a few features over the Terrain, but with Sync it does offer free vehicle diagnostic reports with a BlueTooth connected phone. It also will automatically dial 911 over a connected BlueTooth phone if an airbag goes off. It's not as good as what OnStar provides, but it is free.

I

2011 Terrain SLT-1, 4 Cyl, FWD, Mocha Steel
Brownstone Leather, NAV, Rear DVD, Power Liftgate, Michelin Latitude Tires, PIAA Silicon Wipers, Penzoil Platinum Plus
Shawnner

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 06:17:56 PM »

XM is awesome, especially since it's built into the radio - so convenient!  I never thought I would, but I kept it.  BTW, call XM & ask for the $77 a year package...I got the free six months and 12 months service for $77!  Don't give them a credit card...or they will renew at regular price.  On-Star would be nice for $50/year crash protection since my GPS can do directions much better and free after buying a $100 unit.
KANWAR

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 07:55:08 AM »

going to keep the onstar service, but cancel the XM.  I have all the music I want to listen to on my Ipod Touch.  The only channel I listened to on XM was the Comedy Channel.  XM rep called me yesterday, as my free 90 days runs out in March.  They offered me another 3 months for $14.99 CAD.  I asked if I was able to only order the Comedy Channel, and she said no.   I told her too bad, as customers should be able to pay for just specific channels, they would generate more customers that way. 

2011 Equinox 2LT,Summit White,17" wheels,2.4 liter,Weathertech Liner,Cargo mgt,fogs.
NoobNox
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2011, 08:55:49 AM »

To me, having XM/Onstar built in and working at the time of purchase...yet having to pay to keep using it after a certain amount of time is like buying a new pc that is loaded with trial versions of software...USELESS. Either figure in the cost of the service/software with the final pricetag of what I'm buying or leave it out..simple as that.

2010 Equinox 2LT Silver Ice metallic, 2.4 I4, 2WD, Titanium leather
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: