EquinoxForum.net Bookmark and Share
December 20, 2014, 11:04:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to TerrainForum, EquinoxForum & SRXForum! We're glad you found us!

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I install Fog lights?  (Read 24012 times)
Trailblazer

2011 Equinox, Rochester, NY

Ignore
« on: December 29, 2010, 03:40:19 PM »

I have a Blue 2011 Chevy Equinox, LT1, no fog lights.
I would like to install fog lights. Preferably, the OEM fog light from GM. I dont care about the switches, etc. If I can install them, I would wire them into the headlights so they would come on when the headlights come on. I read about re-programming the BCM, etc and that scares me. So the question is, can I install Factory fogs (or any other fog lights for that matter), wire them into the headlights and have them work with minimal effort?
Has anyone done this?
Thanks.

My other car is a 2009 Cobalt SS
rbarrios
Theta Guru

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 03:45:22 PM »

If I were gonna add them-
I would use a relay tapped into the headlights.
the headlight coming on- would simply turn on the relay. (minimal power)- and the relay would have power straight from the battery.

I would not drive the fogs by tapping into the headlights.
Its possible to overdrive the wiring and overheat/burn it.

I would even consider using 2 relays.
Not sure about the Nox-  but some GM's- each headlamp is driven by separate circuits/fuses.

2013 Equinox  LT1 3.6L V6 FWD -   27,000
2010 Traverse LT1 3.6L V6 FWD -  84,000
2003 Trailblazer LS  4.2L I6 RWD- 173,000
Dave25

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 11:19:40 PM »

The DRLs run off the same wiring as the low beams, so your fogs would be on whenever you drive the vehicle.

Sorry I cant offer a better solution other than getting some good aftermarket projector fogs and running a power switch to turn them on manually.

2011 Equinox LTZ
Black Granite Metallic/Titanium leather
I4/FWD
navigation
sunroof
Bigdog9586

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 08:55:29 AM »

The DRLs run off the same wiring as the low beams, so your fogs would be on whenever you drive the vehicle.

Sorry I cant offer a better solution other than getting some good aftermarket projector fogs and running a power switch to turn them on manually.
The person wanted org. factory lights and could do the same thing with them as you suggested with aftermarket.
cottonseed

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 09:15:16 AM »

In theory is way will work.  You need two complete sets of hids (4 bulbs, 4 ballasts, 2 sealed caps, 2 relays)  You wire the head lights up with the relays that way you only need to hook that setup to one of the headlight sockets.  You wire the foglights up the same way as the headlights but use the other headlight socket.

Assuming you wanted to upgrade all the lights to HID's too

2010 Nox LT
Cardinal Red / Jet Black
I4 AWD
equiNOX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 07:22:20 PM »

I have a LT1 equinox. I hated the plastic inserts in the fog light spots. I ordered the chrome piece that the actual fog light housing snaps into. then i got the oem fog light housings. these housings are the same for all equinox's, old body style and new. i also upgraded to hids in both the low beams and fog lights. the drl's had to go, but work flawlessly. also the fog lights are wired up to the headlights because there is no connection for the fog lights on the lt1

2010 Chevy Equinox LT1 2.4L
Black
19" Black Konig Wheels
E&G Classics Grille
Low Beam 10K HID's
OEM Fog Lights with 10K HID's
Full Thule Bike Rack System
Full Kicker Stereo System w/ 2 12" Subwoofers
Limo Tints
Tinted Tail Lights, Relflectors, and Third Brake Light
Carbon Fiber Interior
IceMan
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 07:35:28 PM »

My gawd man...the pic of those lights is even blinding. That would surely make it hard on others coming toward you at night...or shining in someone's rearview.
equiNOX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 07:38:55 PM »

lights are pointed way down, helps keep the light from blinding others

ltz projector housings are next, this should help keep the light from spreading all over the place  wink

Black
19" Black Konig Wheels
E&G Classics Grille
Low Beam 10K HID's
Limo Tints
Carbon Fiber Interior
cottonseed

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 07:50:46 PM »

lights are pointed way down, helps keep the light from blinding others

ltz projector housings are next, this should help keep the light from spreading all over the place  wink

Are you from brick?

2010 Nox LT
Cardinal Red / Jet Black
I4 AWD
equiNOX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 08:08:29 PM »

yes cottonseed, i am from brick nj

Black
19" Black Konig Wheels
E&G Classics Grille
Low Beam 10K HID's
Limo Tints
Carbon Fiber Interior
cottonseed

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 08:26:08 PM »

yes cottonseed, i am from brick nj
Ahh knew it, I am friends with you on cardomain and told you to come here a few months back haha

2010 Nox LT
Cardinal Red / Jet Black
I4 AWD
equiNOX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 08:29:36 PM »

i remember that! your the one that actually got me on here!! haha hope all is well

Black
19" Black Konig Wheels
E&G Classics Grille
Low Beam 10K HID's
Limo Tints
Carbon Fiber Interior
Trailblazer

2011 Equinox, Rochester, NY

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 06:11:29 PM »

EquiNOX, what do you mean by this statement:

also the fog lights are wired up to the headlights because there is no connection for the fog lights on the lt1

Are you saying that you tapped into the headlight wiring to drive the fogs so they are all on the same circuit? Or did you wire the fogs to the battery and switch them with a relay to the headlights?

I have my fog lights installed, but they are not wired up as yet, so I'd like to know what you did.

My other car is a 2009 Cobalt SS
Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 06:50:18 PM »

EquiNOX, what do you mean by this statement:

also the fog lights are wired up to the headlights because there is no connection for the fog lights on the lt1

Are you saying that you tapped into the headlight wiring to drive the fogs so they are all on the same circuit? Or did you wire the fogs to the battery and switch them with a relay to the headlights?

I have my fog lights installed, but they are not wired up as yet, so I'd like to know what you did.

Best to have relays driven by the low beams to control the fogs.  Without a relay, you run the risk of overloading the low beam circuit.

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
gonzalezvi

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 12:02:13 PM »

I purchased a set of Bezels for my 2011 Nox. Now I need a good set of fog lights, can someone tell me if OEM fogs are preferred or can I just purchase a good set of aftermarket Fogs.  Will the aftermarket Fogs fit just as good? I plan on having a seperate off and on switch.
 Thanks.
Italiantonio

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2011, 11:07:48 PM »

For those of you who had the factory fogs added after you bought your Nox...how much did you pay for all the parts (including the bezel)? Did you find them anywhere other than a dealer?  I would think for warranty issues, you had a certified GM tech install everything.  How much was the labor? I'd like to keep anything I install to be factory as much as possible on my LS, but not if it means breaking the bank.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR EVERYONE'S TWO CENTS.

luke5181

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2011, 01:58:35 PM »

I want to thank you in advance for your help, I appreciate it! I just purchased a 2011 LT1 Nox and upgraded to leather, now I want the fog lights because TBH the headlights are not that great and that plastic looks retarded. After several days I decided to buy the kit from blinglights,org (pic below) and of course they were uninformed in their description "This listing includes everything needed to install and requires no other parts or extensive modification." I'm sure the lights fit; however, without the plastic/chrome cover that the LTZ has it looks HORRIBLE!

Anyone know if the OEM bezels are one piece with the plastic behind it, or is it just the chrome ring? (I would hope its all one piece)

Also will the OEM bezel fit over the blinglights fog lights w/o crazy mods?

Luke
shardin

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, 02:41:29 PM »

I want to thank you in advance for your help, I appreciate it! I just purchased a 2011 LT1 Nox and upgraded to leather, now I want the fog lights because TBH the headlights are not that great and that plastic looks retarded. After several days I decided to buy the kit from blinglights,org (pic below) and of course they were uninformed in their description "This listing includes everything needed to install and requires no other parts or extensive modification." I'm sure the lights fit; however, without the plastic/chrome cover that the LTZ has it looks HORRIBLE!

Anyone know if the OEM bezels are one piece with the plastic behind it, or is it just the chrome ring? (I would hope its all one piece)

Luke

Here are the parts I have ordered, the lamps have arrived and look good, they snap into the back of the bumper.  Ordered them from E-bay, Search : 06 07 CHEVY MALIBU 06-10 IMPALA GLASS FOG LIGHT LAMP RL.  The harness is from a rather generic harness but should work with no problems.  Ordered from E-bay, search: Chevy Buick Pontiac Saturn Fog Light Wiring Harness (150506104013).
The bezels replace the old filler  completely.  You should also add a switch to control the lights.  I plan on tapping in to the low beam lead, into the switch and back to the relay.  This will cause the fogs to be able to operate with the low beams on, off with high beam, and off with no lights or ignition turned off. Power for the fogs needs to come from the battery directly through a fuse for safety.
There are several very good write-ups on installing the lights on this sight,  just search "fog lights"

PN           Desc           Source              Qty         Cost
10335108   Lamp Assy   Ebay                       1pair     $65.95
                (Malibu)
20847185   Bezel           Gmpartsdirect       1          $29.17
20847186   Bezel           Gmpartsdirect       1          $29.17

NPN           Harness   Ebay                       1         $72.00    Includes relay
                Saturn
Shipping              Gmpartsdirect       1         $20.46
Shipping   Harness   Ebay                       1         $9.80

$226.55

2012 Equinox Twilight Blue 1Lt  AWD, driver convenience, and all weather options.
Installed: 2LT Fog lights and Foot well courtesy lamps
luke5181

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 08:42:03 AM »

Luke

Here are the parts I have ordered, the lamps have arrived and look good, they snap into the back of the bumper.  Ordered them from E-bay, Search : 06 07 CHEVY MALIBU 06-10 IMPALA GLASS FOG LIGHT LAMP RL.  The harness is from a rather generic harness but should work with no problems.  Ordered from E-bay, search: Chevy Buick Pontiac Saturn Fog Light Wiring Harness (150506104013).
The bezels replace the old filler  completely.  You should also add a switch to control the lights.  I plan on tapping in to the low beam lead, into the switch and back to the relay.  This will cause the fogs to be able to operate with the low beams on, off with high beam, and off with no lights or ignition turned off. Power for the fogs needs to come from the battery directly through a fuse for safety.
There are several very good write-ups on installing the lights on this sight,  just search "fog lights"

PN           Desc           Source              Qty         Cost
10335108   Lamp Assy   Ebay                       1pair     $65.95
                (Malibu)
20847185   Bezel           Gmpartsdirect       1          $29.17
20847186   Bezel           Gmpartsdirect       1          $29.17

NPN           Harness   Ebay                       1         $72.00    Includes relay
                Saturn
Shipping              Gmpartsdirect       1         $20.46
Shipping   Harness   Ebay                       1         $9.80

$226.55

I broke those shitty @ss blinglights trying to install them anyways! The cut out above the light is where that dumb shit was supposed to mount; however, it fell through and busted on the ground!

Will the lights you listed fit in an 11 Nox?Huh??? Those are WAAAYYYYYYY Cheaper than the NOX Lights

Can I just use my harness I got from blinglights and wire them up to the toggle switch?
luke5181

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2011, 05:12:43 PM »

Lesson learned.........Blinglights SUCK!!!!! Those lights listed above snap right in like a CHAMP!!!! Dealer wanted $115 each F%^k That! Got them for $65 from eBay and got the bezels from the sight above as well. I plan to wire them using a relay to a small rocker switch hooked to a 12V that isn't constant. I was going to wire them to the low beams; however I don't want them on all the time.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: