EquinoxForum.net Bookmark and Share
September 16, 2014, 08:29:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Download our new iPhone, Android & Blackberry App! more info

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ABS Sensor Problem???  (Read 20090 times)
Afcajax18

Ignore
« on: March 08, 2011, 07:02:56 AM »

I am having a problem in my 06' Equinox.  When I am braking down to a very slow speed (almost at a complete stop) it seems like the ABS kicks on for no reason.  The car makes a buzzing noise like something electronic kicks on, just like the ABS system, the pedal pushes back on my foot.  The brakes work fine at any other speed, and the car always stops fine.  This does not occur everytime I stop, I would say 7 out of 10 times.  There is no "check engine" or "ABS" light on on the dash.  Anyone have any thoughts?  Thanks
msb725

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 07:41:16 AM »

Might be speed sensor in one of the wheels. Happened in wifes 2006 Torrent.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
ChevyMgr

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 07:42:15 AM »

Rear brakes being mis-adjusted could cause this.

Current Rides:
2011 Equinox LTZ - Born 11/5/2010 - Adopted 12/29/2010
2010 Malibu LTZ
2012 Cruze LT
2013 Cruze RS
GM Customer Svc
Theta Guru

Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 11:41:24 AM »

I would have to agree with the previous posts that the best place to start is with the breaks. If this does not seem to solve the issue, then I would recommend that you contact your local dealership for more specific information. Please feel free to keep me informed with any further developments. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

>>>>>> Please check out the new GM Owner Center at https://my.gm.com/ for more vehicle information!
revolutionair

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 04:13:56 PM »

I have the same exaact problem with my 06 Equinox.  I am probably going to have it checked at the dealer later this week, and I will update with the answer.  I think I had the same problem with my 01 Grand Am, and it was the speed sensor.  I cleaned it and put it back together with some lithium grease (i think that was what it was) and that did the trick.  Does anyone know if these are in the front and back, or just the front?  And what do they look like?
GM Customer Svc
Theta Guru

Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 10:45:46 AM »

I have the same exaact problem with my 06 Equinox.  I am probably going to have it checked at the dealer later this week, and I will update with the answer.  I think I had the same problem with my 01 Grand Am, and it was the speed sensor.  I cleaned it and put it back together with some lithium grease (i think that was what it was) and that did the trick.  Does anyone know if these are in the front and back, or just the front?  And what do they look like?

I am glad to hear that you are planning to work with your dealer regarding this concern. Please feel free to keep me posted. I can also look into the locate of this for you with the VIN of the vehicle.  You can contact me via private message as well. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

>>>>>> Please check out the new GM Owner Center at https://my.gm.com/ for more vehicle information!
cseay1

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 11:58:42 AM »

I own a 2006 Equinox LS AWD.  I experienced the same concern with the ABS activating during low speed braking, but it took a long time to set a trouble code (the ABS/TC warning lamps did not come on for a long time, and when the finally did they would only come on briefly then go out).  The code set for a LF speed sensor fault.  I replaced the LF wheel hub & sensor assembly with an aftermarket part.  The code cleared out but it continued to cause ABS activation at low speed.  Watching the speed signals with a scan tool while driving, it showed all four sensors reading properly but indicating that the vehicle speed was exactly 2X what the actual speed was (60 mph read as 120 mph).  Still no codes no lights.  Thinking the EBCM may have a fault, installed a new EBCM, but problems persisted.  Finally observed LF speed sensor signal drop out, so thinking had defective hub/sensor replaced with another aftermarket.  This one was even worse.  Finally replaced with genuine gm part (which strangely enough had the exact same markings as the two previouse aftermarket parts) and knock on wood no problems since.  But scan tool still shows that speed sensors showing vehicle speed as 2X actual.  Don't suspect faulty VSS at transfercase because speedo is reading correct.  Anyone else experience this?
Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 01:28:49 PM »

You sound extremely knowledgeable - welcome to the Forum.

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
cseay1

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 12:56:12 PM »

Thanks for the welcome ..

Alas after several days of driving fine the ABS started acting up again.  No ABS/TC light but did set trouble code again for LF wheel speed sensor.  I should note that prior to all of this the circuit was ohmed from sensor to EBCM and checked ok .. no breaks observed in wiring.  Just replaced the GM bearing (which again looked IDENTICAL to the previous three BCA/National bearings, even felt the same - could feel CLICK-CLICK-CLICK as sensor passed teeth on tone ring) with a Carquest bearing which looked completely different, was obviously of different manufacturer, and felt smooth - no clicks.  Should further note that after removing the three previous defective bearings they all show a blue heat ring around the hub, like they are getting too hot (incorrect tolerances?  no grease in the bearing?) .. Carquest bearing so far doing good .. But still getting 2X indicated speed through scan tool.  If it happens again I give up .. it is either going to the dealer for repairs or trade in.  It's a shame, because up until now this has been a great vehicle - 86,000 miles.
cseay1

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 04:57:52 AM »

Too good to be true .. ABS began activating again at low speed braking, but still no warning light or trouble code .. Will pull ABS fuse and live without ABS/TC and just ignore the warning lights on the dash until can afford to take to Chevrolet dealer for additional diagnosis
cseay1

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 06:51:53 AM »

Finally may have some resolution ..

Took to local Chevrolet Dealer .. they diagnosed the fault as being in the harness between the left front abs speed sensor and the electronic brake control module (which would make sense for the signal dropping out to the left front and continually setting codes for the left front) .. they replaced the harness .. was charged 168.00 labor plus 83.49 parts making a total with tax of $255.66 .. we are going to try it out on a trip next week from home in Virginia to Disney World in Florida (approx 1700 miles round trip) so that will be the test to see if this is the fix or not.
boxy_eh

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 07:17:39 PM »

Hello cseay1,

I was just wondering if the dealer replaced both harnesses from the left front sensor to the computer, or just one of them.  I have a 2006 Equinox that has the exact same problems that you have, well, until I pulled the fuse!

Thanks.
rortega11

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2012, 10:13:57 AM »

which fuse did you pull ? i found 3 that are related to the
 ABS system
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: