EquinoxForum.net Bookmark and Share
September 18, 2014, 08:45:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Download our new iPhone, Android & Blackberry App! more info

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Rims & Tires Question  (Read 13720 times)
2010 LTZ

2010 LTZ V6 AWD - Black Granite

Ignore
« on: February 09, 2010, 06:18:02 AM »

Hello I am new to this forum as of yesterday, and I already have a question.
We bought the wife the new 2010 Equionx LTZ AWD V6 (with alll the bells and whistles)
The question I have is regarding winter rims and tires.
If I purchase some 19" black rims for next winter with some good snow tires, what will that do to the air pressure monitoring system?
Would the rims I buy come with the pressure sensor to communicate with the monitoring system or will there be an indicator light flashing?
Your thoughts?
Thank you in advance!
2010 LTZ

2010 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ V6 AWD
NY_Joe
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 06:22:22 AM »

Hello I am new to this forum as of yesterday, and I already have a question.
We bought the wife the new 2010 Equionx LTZ AWD V6 (with alll the bells and whistles)
The question I have is regarding winter rims and tires.
If I purchase some 19" black rims for next winter with some good snow tires, what will that do to the air pressure monitoring system?
Would the rims I buy come with the pressure sensor to communicate with the monitoring system or will there be an indicator light flashing?
Your thoughts?
Thank you in advance!
2010 LTZ

IF you by factory/Chevy rims there is a chance they may come with the TPMS on the rims.  Any aftermarket rims, not so much.

There was another thread here that addressed the same issue of changing rims with no TPMS sensors.  I believe you will get an error message but it disappears after a short period of time.  Once you replace the rims with the OEM you will just have to relearn the psoitions.

http://www.terrainforum.net/index.php?topic=226.0

2010 GMC Terrain
SLT-1 V6 AWD
Quicksilver Metallic/Jet Black Leather
Navi & RSE
GM/THule Cargo Box on Factory Cross Bars
Front & Rear Mud Flaps
Tinted Fronts
Grey/Red/Black Pinstripe
Accessories to be Added
3 piece Billet Grille (ordered)
Narg

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 09:18:40 AM »

If the TPMS is not in the rims you buy, you can purchase this from a GM dealer to install into any rim you buy.

But, keep in mind that you will need to reprogram your Equinox to see the different TPMS modules when you switch out.  It's not hard, but takes a little patience to go through the steps.  You'll find the steps in your owners manual.
stormin84

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 04:44:28 PM »

do not buy 19" rims for your winters, buy some 17" or even 18" rims, the cost of the winter tires and rims will be cheaper.

Hers
2010 Chevy Equinox 2LT V6
Black Granite
Mods-None to Date

His
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3
Mods- Too many to list
Black Mica
Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 04:50:13 PM »

PLs, with 17s, you will have narrower tires which is better in the snow.  It will cut into the snow, as apposed to riding on top of the snow.  Think od a metal bladed sled versus a toboggen - the sled is much easier to control/turn.

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
Mobius

Gear Head

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 05:05:26 PM »

PLs, with 17s, you will have narrower tires which is better in the snow.  It will cut into the snow, as apposed to riding on top of the snow.  Think od a metal bladed sled versus a toboggen - the sled is much easier to control/turn.

I agree that the OP should get 17's or 18's for the winter tires, and that narrower tires/wheels are better for traction in the winter.  However I'd just like to point out that wheel diameter != wheel width.  I can have a 20", 7" wide wheel.  I can also have a 17", 7 inch wide wheel.  Or a 17", 10 inch wide wheel.  It all depends on what you buy.

2010 Onyx Black GMC Terrain SLT
www03801

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 10:25:16 AM »

I did a search in the forum for winter tires and couldnt come up with a consensus if I should get winter tires for my 2011 Equinox LTZ AWD V6. I live in New Hampshire and we are few days/weeks away from getting snow. Just bought my Equinox on 11/22. I will probably wait and see how it handles the snow and ice, but I am sure someone out there has had the AWD V6 in the snow!

2011 Equinox LTZ AWD V6
Black Granite with Black Leather
with Infotainment System
Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 11:22:54 AM »

Snow tires are a personal preference.  I suspect you will have little problem "going" - snow tires are more important in stopping and cornering.  I bought Michelin Latitude X-ice and I live in Schenectady NY.  I haven't used them in snow yet.  Got the car last Spring.

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
jamesvl

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 04:04:45 PM »

Snow tires are a personal preference.  I suspect you will have little problem "going" - snow tires are more important in stopping and cornering.  I bought Michelin Latitude X-ice and I live in Schenectady NY.  I haven't used them in snow yet.  Got the car last Spring.

Ohh, I live in troy.  I just bought an Equinox and I figure I'll stay with the OEM, just because I have been using a Bonneville (FWD) and it has been pretty good in the snow.  Except that the traction control turns off whenever the wheels spin.

2011 AWD Chevy Equinox LTZ V6
Silver Ice Metallic / Light Titanium
Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 04:14:08 PM »

Ohh, I live in troy. 

Good luck on the hills.  I thought the all-season Michelins were not aggressive enough looking to be good winter tires - however, looks can be deceiving.

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
davemason

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 06:47:24 PM »

Purchased the following steel rims for my Terrain:

#  R9598032 steel rim is for a Buick Allure.

Since Terrains and Equinoxes do not have a steel rim option, the above works fine.

While the rims were just over $80 Can., I also had to shell out $250 for tire pressure monitors.  I do not know if the service person made any changes to use the different TPMS modules.  I will ask at some point.  Will need to know if I change back to the original tires and rims myself.

I decided to get Michelin X-Ice Xi2.  I have used X-Ice since they came on the market.  Never been disappointed.  I live on a steep hill, and with 4 wheel drive never had any issues.  This will be the first winter with a vehicle that is AWD.  Wonder if there are any interesting differences between the 2 types of drives.

I live in Nova Scotia, and we had a little bit of snow down one night before I had winter tires.  I tried some hard acceleration, and did not notice any issues.  Have to see what it will be like when we get some real storms to drive in.

GMC Terrain 2011 SLE-2 V6 AWD w/tow package
tjjkc

2010 Terrain,SLE,Traded for 2014 Terrain SLE,6 cyl

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 07:06:26 PM »

I got a set of OEM rims from the dealer last week part # 9598032A,with BFG Winter Slalom"s,the rims were $80 each and they are 17' Steel 5 spoke

I personally did not go for the TPM"s and have had no error messages,but the service rep may have canceled the message .

davemason....are yours the 5 spoke,as I was told that these were the recommended rims for the Terrain/Equinox.

Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 07:43:57 PM »

I got a set of OEM rims from the dealer last week part # 9598032A,with BFG Winter Slalom"s,the rims were $80 each and they are 17' Steel 5 spoke

I personally did not go for the TPM"s and have had no error messages,but the service rep may have canceled the message .

davemason....are yours the 5 spoke,as I was told that these were the recommended rims for the Terrain/Equinox.

Can you post a picture of those rims?  My dealer knew nothing about them.

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
tjjkc

2010 Terrain,SLE,Traded for 2014 Terrain SLE,6 cyl

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 07:49:35 PM »

Night shot with flash............so kind of crappy pic
davemason

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 07:13:07 PM »

Yes mine are 5 spoke and look like the picture above.

I was told that these were the recommended rims for the Terrain/Equinox.

I think these are the only  OEM rims that fit, even if they are for a Buick Allure.  Only ones I found searching google.

GMC Terrain 2011 SLE-2 V6 AWD w/tow package
kaptain

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2010, 02:22:26 PM »

I am going through the same thought process of 17" 5 spoke and winter tires. My friend is  a parts mge and he nquoted me 1775.00 for 5 spoke aluminum and 4 arctic claw tires and sensors programmed and gst. However, after going through my DIC over and over....I cannot find tpms in my menu. Thus I am thinking (much to my pleasure) I dont have tpms. Is this possible? I thought it was standard. Looks like I could save 300 bucks.
Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2010, 06:51:05 PM »

kaptain - look in your Owners Manual.  It will describe the screen that the Tire Pressure Readout is located in, and also tell you all about your TPMS that I am 100% sure you have.  (assuming you have a 2010 or 2011 Theta Platform).

The Owners Manual is a good read - give it a chance !

Sorry - I didn't realize that it was a USA thing.  My apologies to my Northern neighbors.  So, ignore my 100% certainty - it would only apply to the USA.

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
westcoastar

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2010, 05:43:10 AM »

I am going through the same thought process of 17" 5 spoke and winter tires. My friend is  a parts mge and he nquoted me 1775.00 for 5 spoke aluminum and 4 arctic claw tires and sensors programmed and gst. However, after going through my DIC over and over....I cannot find tpms in my menu. Thus I am thinking (much to my pleasure) I dont have tpms. Is this possible? I thought it was standard. Looks like I could save 300 bucks.

You may not have the TPMS if you are in Canada.  It depends on which model you have.  I have an 2010 Terrain (Carbon Black) SLE2 which does not have it.  As far as I know all models have it by law in the US.  Btw I have a set of Touren TR3 Rims with winter tires.  Rims were $120 ea at the time but appear to be $109 at Canadian Tire now.  As well I had to get tuner lugs to attach rims.      They look great on the Terrain

nomad06

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2010, 07:16:32 AM »

That is the same tire we are running but with studs.They  are working really well , a little noisy though.I have 2010 1LT and it doesn't have the tpms so you do not need them.

2010 Cardinal Red  Equinox 1LT AWD
Factory mudflaps,Husky Liners, 3M Rockguard
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: