EquinoxForum.net Bookmark and Share
October 21, 2014, 11:19:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum Tip: Click the little blue 'new' icon next to any topic to jump right to the first unread message.

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: engine cover removal  (Read 7958 times)
scottb

Ignore
« on: April 21, 2011, 07:15:08 PM »

usually i am pretty handy...but even i can't figure it out.  and operators manual does not help...

how do you remove engine cover?  there is one that goes front to back and one that goes right left as you stand looking at engine from in front of car with hood up...

it is not that anything is wrong, but i kind of want to look underneath and don't want to break anything taking it off.  The idea being just to remove take a look around and put back on.

2011 gmc terrain sle-2
bballr4567
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 08:18:23 PM »

V6 or I4?

2010 Terrain SLE2, FWD, 4cyl, Merlot Jewel, Jet Black int., Convenience package
scottb

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 08:20:11 PM »

sorry stupid me, it is the 4 cylinder i am looking for help with

2011 gmc terrain sle-2
bballr4567
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 08:26:16 PM »

Hmmm, not sure on the I4. I havent pulled mine off yet.

BADNOX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 10:26:03 PM »

you will need to look under the left side of the one that goes to front to back and get a screw driver in there and loosen the clamp and pull up on it (now front is loose) then put your hands in the back of the cover and push to the rear of the vehical now front to back cover is off. For the left to right lust grab a side and pull up it will pop off.    Cheers

2011 Nox LS
silver ice metallic
I4
Factory installed roof rack and cross bars FREE
scottb

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 01:44:10 PM »

Got it off...just to look around...Thanks for the help...

You have to loosen clamp to throttle body in front center and clamp on left going to air box.  Pull straight out the tube on left of box, then lift this cover off.  Two fittings in back pull straight up.

Then cover underneath has two fittings on left that pull straight up and one in back on right.  But you also have to remove oil filler cap as that hold front right down. 

I was impressed at how everything was made it all looked well constructed.  Connectors looked of good quality and build looked good.

Only thing bad - which is true of so many - these days.  It looks very difficult to do much oneself.   There is like 3 or less inches on left of engine where drive belt is.  Plugs are easily accessible at top of motor.  But front wheel drive cars (awd in this case) with engine going right left are pita.

Scott

2011 gmc terrain sle-2
TerrainSLT2

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 06:34:23 AM »

Your vehicle is under warranty by the manufacturer, and I hope there's nothing wrong with your engine because once that happen, your warranty will be void if they found that the bolt of your engine cover is loosened. They think that you touch anything in your engine so the manufacturer doesn't care to do anything with your problem once you touch anything in your engine, unless you pay for the cost. So if I were you? I am going to wait until the warranty expired then you can do whatever you want to do with your vehicle as long as you pay for the cost of damage.

GMC Terrain AWD SLT-2 v6 Summit White
19" Cast Chrome Wheel
Summit White Side Molding with Chrome Accent (exclusive)
Splash or Mud Guard (front & rear)
Chrome Fuel Door
GMC Hitch Cover
Door Visor
WeatherTech FloorLiner™ DigitalFit® (1st & 2nd Row)
CG for Detailing
scottb

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 06:46:59 AM »

I removed no marked bolts and did no damage.   Legally, taking off engine cover will not void your warranty.  For example, if I take my vehicle to indy to be repaired and they take off engine cover or do other work, there would be no record at gmc, and warranty would still be intact, and gmc would still have to stand behind warranty.

Granted, there is nothing that keeps dealer or mfg from giving one a hard time if they want to...

Although I have the 4cyl, the operators manual has instructions for removal of engine cover on v6. 

2011 gmc terrain sle-2
MOCHANOX

Always Mod the Mod to make it YOURS !!!

Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 12:21:29 PM »

Your vehicle is under warranty by the manufacturer, and I hope there's nothing wrong with your engine because once that happen, your warranty will be void if they found that the bolt of your engine cover is loosened. They think that you touch anything in your engine so the manufacturer doesn't care to do anything with your problem once you touch anything in your engine, unless you pay for the cost. So if I were you? I am going to wait until the warranty expired then you can do whatever you want to do with your vehicle as long as you pay for the cost of damage.

This "logic" is not only flawed...but incorrect.
As a simple example...
According to your very own post...you took your Terrain to Conrad's for service where they installed an incorrect oil filter which created an oil leak.
Your GMC dealer replaced that filter with the correct one and gave you the wrong one to go back to Conrad's with to get your money back.
Your warranty was not voided even though an incorrect filter was installed and an oil leak resulted.

I send my GMC Terrain last month 12/10/10 for oil change at Conrad’s but yesterday afternoon I have seen an oil leak where my GMC was park inside my garage…so I spray it with water to removed the oil leak on the flooring & observe if it is still have an oil leak coming for the vehicle but before that I call GMC & ask them if I’m going to send my GMC Terrain to dealer if it is still covered by the warranty?  They say yes.  So I set an appointment to one of GMC dealer closer to our place. They found out that the Conrad’s put smaller OEM oil filter than the original one. After they change it...the GMC dealer gave me the old filter that Conrad’s installed so that I can show it to Conrad’s & refund the amount that I pay it in GMC dealer for an oil change & replacing the new filter again that match the size because it is not included in the warranty.

Here’s the photo image of the oil filter from Conrad’s & the second round of an oil leak image.

Here's the Oil Filter image...

and here's the second round oil leak...

Lucky me because I've notice that earlier! otherwise it will give me a big headache!

There is no prohibition from doing work on your vehicle
Plain and simple...if you do it yourself...or have someone do it for you...it needs to be done correctly using the correct parts.

2011 LAF 1LT
BCM by GTPprix
1st USA 1LT w/OEM Operated Fog Lamps
RKE All Window Auto Roll Down
RKE Extended Run Time
OEM Courtesy Lamps
Hard Mount/Wired Garmin-coming soon
C.C.P. Pkgs.
TerrainSLT2

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 03:23:38 PM »

At least it's under warranty because that was touched by the shop mechanic and approve by the AAA, besides you can sue them if there's something happen with your vehicle, while if you do it by your own there will be no warranty on that. You're the owner of your vehicle, and you should know what is going on to your vehicle. If you think there's something wrong with your vehicle then let your dealer know it and fix it without any experimenting done by you.

Anyway it's not my vehicle, it yours so WHOCARES.

19" Cast Chrome Wheel
Chrome Fuel Door
GMC Hitch Cover
Door Visor
CG for Detailing
MOCHANOX

Always Mod the Mod to make it YOURS !!!

Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 04:38:49 PM »

At least it's under warranty because that was touched by the shop mechanic and approve by the AAA, besides you can sue them if there's something happen with your vehicle, while if you do it by your own there will be no warranty on that.

Please don't be bitter

Rest assured that if your engine had become oil starved from loss of oil from installing the wrong filter...GMC would not have covered the repair under warranty no matter who did the work.

Even if a dealer Mechanic had installed the wrong filter and the engine had become oil starved...GMC would not cover the repair under warranty.

The cost of that repair would be paid by the Dealer's Liability insurance...not GMC

Now a similar but important distinction is if an OEM filter seal failed and was the cause of the leak and engine damage...that would be covered no matter who installed it.

I'm not "hating on you"...but posting that someone will "void their warranty" for removing the engine cover is just incorrect.

2011 LAF 1LT
BCM by GTPprix
1st USA 1LT w/OEM Operated Fog Lamps
RKE All Window Auto Roll Down
RKE Extended Run Time
OEM Courtesy Lamps
Hard Mount/Wired Garmin-coming soon
C.C.P. Pkgs.
TerrainSLT2

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 05:15:12 PM »

I didn't say that removing a cover is incorrect. My thought is base on a new computer that once you break the seal the warranty will be void. I hope that in the vehicle. They didn't do the same.
As I've said, if Conrad's do a faulty action in my vehicle, they are going to pay for it at least someone will shoulder the expense, and for sure that's not me.

19" Cast Chrome Wheel
Chrome Fuel Door
GMC Hitch Cover
Door Visor
CG for Detailing
bballr4567
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 05:25:12 AM »

If you remove the head, yea, your powertrain warranty will be voided. However, you are free to do all types of maintenance you want. Change the spark plugs, air filter, oil, serp belt et al.

You simply will not void anything by taking the engine cover off. The one on my G8 is gone and Ive even got a few mods yet I still get warranty service.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: