EquinoxForum.net Bookmark and Share
August 20, 2014, 01:24:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Download our new iPhone, Android & Blackberry App! more info

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Temp Gauge Not Working  (Read 5501 times)
JoeSkeeter

Ignore
« on: April 26, 2011, 04:54:17 AM »

We have an 07 Equinox in which the temp gauge is not working correctly. Dealer says replace the cluster @ 700+. Was wondering if anyone knows of a place to get a re-built from?

Thanks
Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 05:23:48 AM »

We have an 07 Equinox in which the temp gauge is not working correctly. Dealer says replace the cluster @ 700+. Was wondering if anyone knows of a place to get a re-built from?

Thanks
Are you 100% sure that it is not the Sender ?  More likely to fail than the gauge itself.  Plus alot cheaper and easier to replace.

IMHO

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
ChevyMgr

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 07:13:08 AM »

Can you expand on the statement "not working properly"?

Dealer says replace the cluster @ 700+.

That's about $200+ too high.

Current Rides:
2011 Equinox LTZ - Born 11/5/2010 - Adopted 12/29/2010
2010 Malibu LTZ
2012 Cruze LT
2013 Cruze RS
JoeSkeeter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 12:05:07 PM »

Its will sometime read and some times be way out of its range. The dealer told us it was the cluster.
jtaets

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 11:05:40 AM »

I know this is an older thread but I am new to the forum and my '07 has the same problem, SOB at the dealer wanted to charge me $1100 last year for the diagnostic, to replace the cluster, flush the coolant, and replace the thermostat.  Of course he couldn't tell me why, if the car wasn't actually over heating why the thermostat and coolant needed to be replaced so I paid him for the diagnostic and took my car back never to go there again.  Ultimately I got another mechanic to help me get a used cluster that he could install, the used cluster cost $100 rather than the $700 for the new one.  I had actually seen some on E-bay too for similar prices if you want to risk that.

Unfortunately, just after the 6 month warranty on the part expired, it started acting up again doing the exact same thing, at one point the temperature gauge needle was pointed at the fuel level gauge next to it - I will have to check the sender I guess to see if that is the real problem.

It doesn't always seem to settle back to zero when the car gets turned off, the needle only moves the same distance it would to move from zero to normal operating temperature but when it starts at halfway on the gauge it ends up looking like the car is overheating so I am not sure if the sender would cause that but I am no expert on it.  Anyone else have any thoughts?
GM Customer Svc
Theta Guru

Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 09:10:27 AM »

I know this is an older thread but I am new to the forum and my '07 has the same problem, SOB at the dealer wanted to charge me $1100 last year for the diagnostic, to replace the cluster, flush the coolant, and replace the thermostat.  Of course he couldn't tell me why, if the car wasn't actually over heating why the thermostat and coolant needed to be replaced so I paid him for the diagnostic and took my car back never to go there again.  Ultimately I got another mechanic to help me get a used cluster that he could install, the used cluster cost $100 rather than the $700 for the new one.  I had actually seen some on E-bay too for similar prices if you want to risk that.

Unfortunately, just after the 6 month warranty on the part expired, it started acting up again doing the exact same thing, at one point the temperature gauge needle was pointed at the fuel level gauge next to it - I will have to check the sender I guess to see if that is the real problem.

It doesn't always seem to settle back to zero when the car gets turned off, the needle only moves the same distance it would to move from zero to normal operating temperature but when it starts at halfway on the gauge it ends up looking like the car is overheating so I am not sure if the sender would cause that but I am no expert on it.  Anyone else have any thoughts?

I would also be willing to look into this for you. Please feel free to contact me privately with the last eight of your VIN for futher assistance. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

>>>>>> Please check out the new GM Owner Center at https://my.gm.com/ for more vehicle information!
ChevyMgr

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 02:17:15 PM »

Your description sounds like a cluster failure.

Current Rides:
2010 Malibu LTZ
2012 Cruze LT
2013 Cruze RS
jtaets

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 02:14:18 PM »

Do you think that two different clusters would fail exactly the same way?  I was beginning to think that since the cluster was replaced and the same issue popped up that it was more likely something else, possibly the sensor that sends the temperature levels to the computer? 
ChevyMgr

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »

Do you think that two different clusters would fail exactly the same way?  I was beginning to think that since the cluster was replaced and the same issue popped up that it was more likely something else, possibly the sensor that sends the temperature levels to the computer? 

Was the first replacement a used one? If not where did the repair shop get it from?

Current Rides:
2010 Malibu LTZ
2012 Cruze LT
2013 Cruze RS
jtaets

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 06:01:14 PM »

It was a used part yes
ChevyMgr

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 06:58:57 AM »

It was a used part yes

Then yes, it could have the same problem. I have seen this problem before so what ever fails inside the cluster is not an isolated condition.

What state are you in?

Current Rides:
2010 Malibu LTZ
2012 Cruze LT
2013 Cruze RS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: