EquinoxForum.net Bookmark and Share
April 21, 2014, 08:27:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Download our new iPhone, Android & Blackberry App! more info

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: armor all  (Read 11002 times)
redhairedgirl

My "black beauty" chrome grill, posts, 19" rims

Ignore
« on: May 27, 2011, 09:10:32 AM »

I've been told by more than a few folks NOT to use "armor all"  as it attracks dirt.(and other reasons that escape my aging mind)  I stay away from it religiously.

URL=http://s1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee444/redhairedgurl01/?action=view&current=momsmods033.jpg][/URL]
rbarrios
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 10:33:51 AM »

the only place I use Armor all is on the tires.
I dont even bother with it on the interior.
On tires it should be fine.

2013 Equinox  LT1 3.6L V6 FWD -   20,000
2010 Traverse LT1 3.6L V6 FWD -  77,000
2003 Trailblazer LS  4.2L I6 RWD- 172,000
k9kuz

Corvette Cruisers of Illinois

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 06:40:57 PM »

They have a new product for wheels "Wheel Protectent". Fairly expensive. BUT absolutely amazing !!!  Put it on the Corvette wheels last fall......and they still look factory new. This stuff just does not collect brake dust, or anything else. But warning, our Equinox wheels have many spokes which makes it a tough job to cover all the surfaces.

2011 Equinox 2LT V6 AWD with 2-way VHF/UHF radio.
Z_Ghost

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 07:21:16 PM »

I've been told by more than a few folks NOT to use "armor all"  as it attracks dirt.(and other reasons that escape my aging mind)  I stay away from it religiously.
I remember reading something about if you use armor all the time and then stopped it would cause what ever you used it on to dry out.
Maybe true maybe not, I do know their is a lot of protectants out there that do work a lot better.
At one time armor all was the greatest thing since sliced bread, then again it was the only thing out there.

2011 Terrain SLT2 Carbon Black Brownstone Nav I4 FWD

92 Z/28 Camaro
92 B4C Camaro
I live in Texas-But my Heart lives in Yellowstone
bonz

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 08:17:08 AM »

I switched to PRO S - 92 PREMO DRESSING much better then armor all. I get it locally from the wholesaler who sells to the car lots and detailers.

2010 Terrain sle-2 awd
summit white
Tjpc

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 08:25:48 AM »

Years ago I used Armor All on the interior. I remember my windows would get a film on them.As a non smoker,I know it wasn't from that so I figured it was some type of off-gassing of chemicals.I stopped using Armor All and problem solved .May be a coincidence !!!

2011 Cyber Gray Equinox 2LT
   Jet Black Cloth,4cyl,fwd
         Build Date 02/10/2011
Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 08:36:44 AM »

Years ago I used Armor All on the interior. I remember my windows would get a film on them.As a non smoker,I know it wasn't from that so I figured it was some type of off-gassing of chemicals.I stopped using Armor All and problem solved .May be a coincidence !!!

Same here - I doubt if it is a coincidence !

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
Tdog

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 08:37:12 AM »

Ummm. I recall the same thing... Many posts lately seem to mention good things about Maguir's as their go-to product line. I've only used their waxes but am now checking out some of their other products.

2013 Terrain SLE-2 2.4L AWD
Sunroof, Heated Seats, Remote Start
Barry

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 08:43:04 AM »

Meguiars makes a product called Ultimate Protectant.  Name being changed to Ultimate Black strictly for marketing reasons.  It is a WATER based product with polymers that make it adhere to vinyl and rubber interior or exterior.  Will not streak or run in rain or when washed if properly applied.  Big difference between it and most others...it DRYS completely with no oily residue within minutes of application.  Makes old faded bumpers and trim look new!
wbassnp007

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 10:49:03 AM »

I switched to PRO S - 92 PREMO DRESSING much better then armor all. I get it locally from the wholesaler who sells to the car lots and detailers.

PRO is professional. I'm using their wet look dressing. Check out All Brite car care products. It's the real thing!

2011 Terrain, Carbon Black Metallic
SLT2, 4 Cyl.,FWD, 18" Machined Aluminum Wheels
Rear Seat Entertainment, Navigation, Brownstone Leather
TerrainLem

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 01:49:13 PM »

I, personally was a strong proponent of Armor All use for years and years (thanks to upbringing from my Dad), but my tastes have changed drastically and I'm not really one for that "extreme" oily looking shine.  I've also had cases of drying out and cracking from extended use.

I currently use only CG (Chemical Guys) products and couldn't be happier.  For tires and trim I use their silk shine - which produces a very subtle "new" look shine that leans more on the clean muted gloss look after a 2nd wiping.  I absolutely love this look.

GARYD
Theta Freak

USMC 3RD TANK BATT. VIETNAM 1965-1966

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 11:35:04 PM »

I've been using Son of a Gun protectant. Far better then ArmorAll and it's not shiney.
As Z_Ghost said - back in the day it was a the best because there wasn't anything else on the market.

I remember using ArmorAll on my Vettes tires at a car show in the mall in Temple,Tx. many years ago. Problem was everybody was slipping when they walked past my car (I wasn't the only one in our club to use ArmorAll) so the mall management came by and told everyone to wash the floor around their cars immediately. Every year after that SOP for future car shows, using ArmorAll was banned.

2010 Terrain SLT-2
AWD, 6CYL. Onyx Black
Every Conceivable option
2010 Harley Ultra Limited
raxelgun

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 08:31:42 PM »

I have never had a problem with armour all, is it really bad to use on cars, I have used for years and thought it was a great product.
GARYD
Theta Freak

USMC 3RD TANK BATT. VIETNAM 1965-1966

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 07:19:45 AM »

Depends. Do you like a shiney surface or not. Some do - some don't. It's still a good product, but I think there are better products out there now.
There is a great product I use from S100 (motorcycle cleaning products) for motorcycles that's a lot better then ArmorAll, but it's expensive.

It's like oil and wax - everyone has their favorite and think it's the best and will not switch.  Grin

2010 Terrain SLT-2
AWD, 6CYL. Onyx Black
Every Conceivable option
2010 Harley Ultra Limited
wrusprod
Theta Freak

2012 V6- AWD Terrain

wrusprod wrusprod

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 02:35:30 PM »

I used Armor All for years...i have never had issues with it...just that it leaves a shiny surface as GaryD mentioned..A shiny surface that attracts dust..I have been using Meguiar's interior cleaning for a while now..I like that product.

We're trying to get an accurate count of people with or without engine startup noise. Please go here and vote. Your vote is private and will not be traced to you.
http://www.terrainforum.net/index.php?topic=3068.0

2012 GMC Terrain V6 AWD- SLE2, convenience package/18" wheels
eeks and knocks

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 09:48:35 PM »

Many of armour alls products were notorious for containing silicon agents that made the surface "greasy"... It got worse as you went towards the "Ultimate shine" products that they once had which I believe are now discontinued... They were great for about a day if you were trying to sell a car based on pure appearance but they also left a coating behind which was a dust attracting magnet.  Silicon is also a big no no in the auto body and detail industries because it is not paint friendly by any means.  It's nearly impossible to completely remove from paint once it's there.  That's why many products on the market today are advertised as containing no silicons and most are sold as either detailers or natural shine protectants.   

+1 for the Meguiars users out there.  I own my own automotive detailing company and I can tell you that 19 out of 20 of my products are Meguiars branded.  Quik interior detailer is great for all plastic/vinyl surfaces and even clear plastics like your instrument panels etc wont be smudged or stained by it.  I follow up most of the time with a protectant such as the ultimate protectant which is a natural shine product also.  Granted you won't get that crazy shine "armor all" effect but you can know that you won't be covered in a layer of grease when you rub your arm across your interior door panel and then carry it to the outside of your vehicle getting in and out of it.  I've noticed any protectant I've used tends to collect a little extra dust and protectants are more or less better applied as you would a wax.  Wipe it on with one towel remove the excess with a fresh towel and you shouldn't have to apply it every time your dash/console need a dusting.  Thats what the quik detailer is for. 

POLRCUB II
Theta Guru

POLRCUB II,,, Lovin' The '300 Club'

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 09:57:21 PM »

+1 for the Meguiars users out there. 

Yep you bet!
The one shelf in the Hubbies garage is stocked with it!

POLRCUB,19"GM LF671's on 255's
Full load,SatNAV/Rear Ent.pkg./Lane assist/front cam collision/blind spot,
4pcWeatherTechs,Blendmount radar,white GMC Guards,6KLED Int & LED Ext. 6KHID fogs & DRLs,VG Fin,custom 3M, purple trim & 28%tint
3 Mini Dachshund's
MY13 3.6L Denali
Farewell MY10, 11 & 12
IceMan
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 10:07:33 PM »

My garage cabinet is stocked with  Meguiars too..!

2011 Equinox LTZ 2.4L FWD
Silver Ice Metallic/Jet Blk lthr
17" wheels
Premium Sound System
 Built 1st week in Aug..arrived Aug 23,2010
wrusprod
Theta Freak

2012 V6- AWD Terrain

wrusprod wrusprod

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2012, 05:45:25 AM »

Yep!..with the Mequiar's.....I have the interior cleaner that I use...stopped using 'armor all' along time ago.

We're trying to get an accurate count of people with or without engine startup noise. Please go here and vote. Your vote is private and will not be traced to you.
http://www.terrainforum.net/index.php?topic=3068.0

2012 GMC Terrain V6 AWD- SLE2, convenience package/18" wheels
NoobNox
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2012, 06:57:45 AM »

I have never had a problem with armour all, is it really bad to use on cars, I have used for years and thought it was a great product.
Wait....what? Huh?

Anyway, unless Armorall has changed their formula, there are much better products out there for interior surfaces.

2010 Equinox 2LT Silver Ice metallic, 2.4 I4, 2WD, Titanium leather
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: