EquinoxForum.net Bookmark and Share
October 24, 2014, 09:51:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to TerrainForum, EquinoxForum & SRXForum! We're glad you found us!

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: usb port not working  (Read 25490 times)
geohoov

Ignore
« on: February 16, 2010, 01:17:30 PM »

I bought a 2010 equinox in December and the USB port quit working recently.  I'm not sure which fuse
feeds the port, but I have not yet found a blown fuse.
Pete V

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 08:11:15 PM »

My USB port worked fine with my IPOD for three months, now it wont work. I am taking it to the dealer next week.  Has anyone else had this happen.  And by the way the IPOD works fine and I tried it with another IPOD to see if that would make a difference and it did not.

noncon

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 07:01:37 PM »

Has anyone else had this happen. 

There is a post around here somewhere. I seem to remember someone else had a similar problem.

KJ
lutherm07

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 05:43:13 AM »

My Equinox is a month old now, and i use a USB flash drive with my music on it. My USB port has not quit working, however i have noticed that every now and then (2-3 times now) it will not recognize my flash drive.  I have to take the flash drive out and re-plug it in for it to acknowledge it.  Works fine then...
Dawgdaes

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 06:54:47 PM »

My Equinox is a month old now, and i use a USB flash drive with my music on it. My USB port has not quit working, however i have noticed that every now and then (2-3 times now) it will not recognize my flash drive.  I have to take the flash drive out and re-plug it in for it to acknowledge it.  Works fine then...

the same thing will happend with my iPod touch.  i have to disconnect and reboot the touch.  IMO the USB port and iPod navigation are not ready for prime time. 

2013 LTZ, V6, AWD, Summit White

2012 2LT, AWD, I4, NAV, Power lift gate, Jet Black, Twilight Blue. - totaled with 23,000 miles by hit and run driver 

Traded @ 33,000 Miles - 2010 2LT, FWD, I4, NAV, Power lift gate, Titanium, Cardinal Red
Dawgdaes

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 05:31:54 PM »

Every device that has been mentioned on this forum, I have had difficulties connecting to computers and Macs.  Certain devices have required reboots, uninstalling software, removing devices through control panel, etc.  Heck, I even had to re-install the operating system on one computer (a Mac) to get it to recognize a USB device (that it has previously recognized).  It wasn't a big deal because I was going to upgrade anyway, but the point is that usb devices do stop working on many different platforms.

Are they ready for prime time?  Or perhaps the shear number of interfaces and options makes the task of working with every device and every version of firmware a daunting task (how many revs of FW do you think Apple/MS have released since the code was put in place for the USB interface).

I'm sorry but statements like "not ready for prime time" simply show your ignorance of the environment and the complexities of programming an operating system and interface.  None of them are perfect.  They all require reboots.

The GM interface is no better or worse than anything else out there.  Go browse any forum for any device that plugs into a USB interface, and you'll find people having issues.

In this case, I actually give GM credit.  They issued a bulletin on expected behavior interfacing with the USB port and state right up front that not all iPods will work correctly with their interface (I've seen reports that there are actually some licensing things with Apple that prevent some things from working).

http://chevroletforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24671

If a car has an iPod adapter it should work with all ipods all the time.  Apple is getting paid to have their logo in the owners manual all of their iPods should work.  I had a 3rd generation ipod first that one would only play albums in alphabetical order not by track number.  So I switched to a touch.  Which works better but it far from perfect.  Before my switch i complained to Apple, my dealer and Chevy customer service.  NO ONE CARED.  Few could even grasp the problem.  So before you call me ignorant don't forget to include Apple and GM in that statement for first.

2012 2LT, AWD, I4, NAV, Power lift gate, Jet Black, Twilight Blue. - totaled with 23,000 miles by hit and run driver 

Traded @ 33,000 Miles - 2010 2LT, FWD, I4, NAV, Power lift gate, Titanium, Cardinal Red
Dawgdaes

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 05:55:38 PM »

My owners manual on page iv of the introduction references the "made for Ipod".  I assume they are referring to the software related to the USB  jack.  On page page 6-28 the word iPod exists in the manual with a trade mark symbol.  ipod is referenced on 6-31 too.  Given those references I don't think use of the phrase "iPod adapter" is so outlandish, but if it is how about ipod interface?

Dutch

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 06:01:40 AM »

IMHO, you are both right in a way.

Being a software, hardware, and systems developer, I have come to learn that your knowledgeable customers expect their will be hiccups along the way, especially in a "first release" situation. Technology generally consists of many, many complex and integrated systems. If you think about software code as a tangible item, you could argue that there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions of "parts" to any software system. Now, add the parts from the actual audio hardware, USB hardware, and interfacing equipment. What you end up with is millions of individual components, each of which is man-made and is subject to fail - and when they do, can cause unpredictable behavior.

It is unreasonable to expect everything to work all the time. Your hot water heater can break down. your cable can go out. Your PC can crash. It's logical to think your car's electronics can glitch, too. When you stop and think about it - it's really quite remarkable that most of these systems work most of the time. It is truly a testament to human ingenuity.

That being said..

Code:
The following devices may be connected to the USB port and controlled by the infotainment system.
. iPod's
. USB Mass Storage Devices

Not all iPod's or USB Mass Storage Devices are compatible with the infotainment system.

This information is way beyond deceptive and vague. It is the manufacturer's responsibility to inform the end user of the features, functionalities, and restrictions of the product they are delivering. I know that if MY boss were putting out this manual (he is very worried about being sued over misinforming our customers) He would have listed the compatible iPod models and requirements for usb mass storage devices... at the very least. He might also have put some wording like "Compatible models subject to change - contact dealer for updated list." This way, when a customer sees their specific iPod model, they can feel rest assured their iPod will work.. and if they don't, they know how to find out for sure. If that feature is important to them, they'll move on. Nowadays, an iPod jack is a big feature to a lot of people when looking for a new car. People spend a lot of time and/or money on their iPods. Between the device itself, app downloads, music downalods, stickers, peripheral hardware, etc.. many people spend their entire day on their iPhone. They don't want to get into their car and have to turn the radio on, search for a song they like and sift through commercials.

-------------------------------------
SLT1: Carbon Black / 2 Tone Titanium
Options: AWD, V6, Sunroof, Navigation
gearhead
Theta Freak

Motor City Born and Bred

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 07:05:05 AM »

... It is truly a testament to human ingenuity...
That it is!
Perhaps if there were more standards put in place, there wouldn't be so many compatibility issues LOL!

2010 Terrain SLT-2 (rec'd Sep/09)
AWD V6 Carbon Black Metallic w/ Jet Black Int.
All available options
19" Chrome Rims
Window Weather Deflectors
Roof Rack Cross Rails
Cargo Cover, Liner, Net, Organizer
Front & Rear Splash Guards
Weathertech Floor Mats
Dutch

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 05:52:43 AM »

That is why my post included a link to an additional document from GM that provides the additional detail you are looking for.  Did you read that?  Your post is well thought out and makes some excellent points, but you don't give GM any credit for trying to do what you suggest.  Information on what electronic devices will and won't interface with a USB port should never be put into an owner's manual, because the list is constantly changing due to FW updates, etc. (and owner's manuals are rather static documents).  In my opinion, GM did the right thing and issued a  technical bulletin describing what would, and woud not, work.  GM does need to do a better job getting the information to people, but if you and Dawgdaes had read it (again, that is why I included a link), we wouldn't still be conversing about this.

No I didn't read the link. I assumed the information was available there, but my point is it should be made easier to find.

Can we please agree to stop calling it an iPod jack.  I know iPod users think that the entire world should revolve around their choice of mp3 player (iPhone users are even worse),  but the simple fact is that there are many more players out there.  Yes, right now, the iPod has the majority of market share (but it is falling), but the interface in the Nox/Terrain and SRX is simply an USB port.  That usb port provides an interface to a select set of electronic devices, one of which happens to be certain models of iPods.

I didn't call it an iPod jack. I simply said "an iPod jack is a big feature to a lot of people" - alot of other car companies ARE calling them "iPod Jacks" (or more specifically "Interface System for iPodŽ")

[/quote]

SLT1: Carbon Black / 2 Tone Titanium
Options: AWD, V6, Sunroof, Navigation
vice86

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 09:48:28 PM »

Anyone get there's to work again?

I'm bringing mine in on Saturday. It was originally my father's vehicle and when I tested my iPhone on it, it worked no problem. Now the USB doesn't work, the AUX jack doesn't work, hitting AUX on the stereo does nothing either. I was pretty excited about this feature now that he gave me his Terrain and got another vehicle but I'm still stuck using my FM Transmitter.

Protip: If you use an FM Transmitter...unscrew the antenna from the roof. You'll get a much better/clearer signal!
GM Customer Svc
Theta Guru

Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 06:07:04 PM »

Anyone get there's to work again?

I'm bringing mine in on Saturday. It was originally my father's vehicle and when I tested my iPhone on it, it worked no problem. Now the USB doesn't work, the AUX jack doesn't work, hitting AUX on the stereo does nothing either. I was pretty excited about this feature now that he gave me his Terrain and got another vehicle but I'm still stuck using my FM Transmitter.

Protip: If you use an FM Transmitter...unscrew the antenna from the roof. You'll get a much better/clearer signal!
Please let me know how it goes at the dealer. Feel free to contact me in the meantime with any questions. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

>>>>>> Please check out the new GM Owner Center at https://my.gm.com/ for more vehicle information!
vice86

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2011, 11:59:15 PM »

Please let me know how it goes at the dealer. Feel free to contact me in the meantime with any questions. Thank you.

The tech told me it didn't throw out any DLC's to them and that all they can tell was that plugging in a USB or Aux cable wasn't kicking it into AUX mode like it should. I showed them the AUX button on the radio doing nothing. They're ordering a new radio on Monday since the place they needed to call was closed.

I really wish I could just replace the radio with a nice double-din but the design of the radio prohibits any aftermarket radios. :*(
upstater

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 08:20:17 AM »

Just traded in our 2010 Eqx for an identical (thx to dealer ordering same color by mistake) 2012 Eqx.  My wife's Gen2 ipod is not recognized at all.  The screen is grayed out  and source selection only shows am, fm, and xm. My gen 5 functions perfectly with the same USB connection and cord and the touch screen shows the usb/ipod and immediately starts playing the songs.

Can anyone tell me if the Generation 2 Ipod is "supported" or is there something I need to do?
nuclear1986

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 03:53:59 PM »

Attached is a list of supported USB devices.  The bulletin was written specifically for 2010-2011 Equinox/Terrain vehicles, but I would think 2012 would at least have the same level of functionality.  According to the bulletin, 2nd Generation iPods are "non-validated" devices, which means they don't support a USB interface (sorry, but you would have to use an AUX cable).

Hope this helps.

2010 Chevrolet Equinox
2LT V6 AWD
Cardinal Red Metallic
Built 6/1/2009, Received 8/1/2009
upstater

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2011, 06:31:48 AM »

The plot thickens.  I called GM to get a list for 2012.  Customer service did not have one.  First they refered me to my dealer whom I already called and has no clue.  But,  customer service referred me to my owners manual.  Low and behold, there is was.  The Nano Gen2 is in the manual as a working usb device.  Time to visit the dealer and plug this little device of torture into another 2012 on the lot.
nuclear1986

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2011, 02:14:21 PM »

According to the bulletin, the nano Gen2 should work, but not the "classic" Gen2.

Good luck and keep us posted.  thumbs up

2010 Chevrolet Equinox
2LT V6 AWD
Cardinal Red Metallic
Built 6/1/2009, Received 8/1/2009
GM Customer Svc
Theta Guru

Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2011, 08:12:01 AM »

The plot thickens.  I called GM to get a list for 2012.  Customer service did not have one.  First they refered me to my dealer whom I already called and has no clue.  But,  customer service referred me to my owners manual.  Low and behold, there is was.  The Nano Gen2 is in the manual as a working usb device.  Time to visit the dealer and plug this little device of torture into another 2012 on the lot.

As stated previously, keep us posted with your progress. Feel free to contact me directly if you need further assistance. Thank you.

>>>>>> Please check out the new GM Owner Center at https://my.gm.com/ for more vehicle information!
upstater

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2012, 06:46:05 AM »

Tricia,  I did call and explained everything to customer assistance, including that the supported Ipod did not work on a 2012 Eqx the dealer just got in.  I have been bumped to a level two group so that I "can get this option that you paid for to work".  That sounded good to me.
Phantm006

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2012, 01:22:23 PM »

My Zune does that after about every 10 minutes. My Iphone 4 hasn't had any problems. But I have noticed that when I hit the fast forward button it just continues to fast forward uless I change the source. The radio gets unresponsive.

GMC Terrain SLE2- Cyber Gray Metallic
 2.4, Sunroof, 18" Brushed Aluminum Wheels
Heated Seats, Remote Start
Chrome Package
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: