EquinoxForum.net Bookmark and Share
November 24, 2014, 07:46:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Download our new iPhone, Android & Blackberry App! more info

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No interior sound (radio, door chimes, turn signals.....  (Read 8324 times)
Steelcityslicker

Ignore
« on: August 29, 2011, 07:54:07 PM »

Hello all.  My wife has a 2008 Chev Equinox.  It has been a great vehicle so far, with minimal problems.  One recently did creep up today though.

After turning on the car, she noticed that there was no radio (controls light up, screen stays blank - not even the time - and there is no sound.)  Further, the turn signals work, but produce no sound and there are no door chimes, key in ignition chimes or any other vehicle generated noise in the interior.

I have come across a few older (2008 and 2010) topics on this same issue but no one has come back with a solution.  Any ideas as to what this might be?  With 2 young kids the radio is a must!!  Smiley

Thanks in advance,

Greg
GM Customer Svc
Theta Guru

Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 01:09:33 PM »

Greg,

Has your concern been resolved? I would recommend contacting your local dealer for more information. Please feel free to keep me posted via private message either way. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

>>>>>> Please check out the new GM Owner Center at https://my.gm.com/ for more vehicle information!
notafan

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 02:12:03 PM »

Good luck getting this fixed. I have had this SAME problem on my 2010 Equinox since I bought it in august of 2009.  flaming mad It has been to the dealer at lest 16 times. GM has had case numbers pulled on it only to be told by the dealer that they can't duplicate the problem. I just took it in to the dealer just yesterday 8/30/11 with a non working Nav system/radio no sounds it was witnessed by the service consultant but he could not get a tech to look at it at that moment. I left it at the dealer and of course this morning when the tech looked at it they were unable to duplicate it. Bang Head The service consultant said the tech needed to verify a couple things before they could order the parts to fix it because Chevrolet would not replace the part without the tech seeing the problem firsthand. (I have recorded several of the instances on video)
Sumr616

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 10:15:22 PM »

Good luck getting this fixed. I have had this SAME problem on my 2010 Equinox since I bought it in august of 2009.  flaming mad It has been to the dealer at lest 16 times. GM has had case numbers pulled on it only to be told by the dealer that they can't duplicate the problem. I just took it in to the dealer just yesterday 8/30/11 with a non working Nav system/radio no sounds it was witnessed by the service consultant but he could not get a tech to look at it at that moment. I left it at the dealer and of course this morning when the tech looked at it they were unable to duplicate it. Bang Head The service consultant said the tech needed to verify a couple things before they could order the parts to fix it because Chevrolet would not replace the part without the tech seeing the problem firsthand. (I have recorded several of the instances on video)

Wow, you've let them have 16 opportunities to fix this? It's so frustrating that they have to witness problems like that, I mean it makes complete sense that they have to witness it, but I would say if it's been happening for 2 years and you have VIDEO PROOF of it, they would believe you. You might need to try a different dealer, I'm surprised they haven't fixed this yet for you, or even offered to replace the whole nav/radio system in an effort to fix it. You might start requesting that. I would be beyond frustrated at this point if I were you. Hang in there, hopefully they'll fix it this time.

2011 I4 Equinox LS bought 3/31/11 : after multiple failed repairs for stalling/start-up noise issues, pursued a GM-assisted replacement. GM agreed, and paid several thousand dollars to get me into my current vehicle...

2012 I4 Equinox LS bought 02/28/12
GM Customer Svc
Theta Guru

Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 11:51:37 AM »

I would like to look into this for you. Do you have your case number? Please feel free to contact me privately. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

>>>>>> Please check out the new GM Owner Center at https://my.gm.com/ for more vehicle information!
Steelcityslicker

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 06:39:57 PM »

Thanks for the help guys.  We took the vehicle into the local dealer who poked and prodded for a bit and came out with shrugged shoulders.  The suggestions that they had to remedy the issue were all expensive and not promised to resolve the issue.

I ended up taking the vehicle to my father, who ended up messing around with the fuse box.  After pressing and pulling fuses for a bit, the problem got better in the sense that the interior sounds would come back, go away, come back, go away.......but at least there were sounds.  We took a look at the fuse box (located on the drivers side) and noticed that it appeared to be corroded.  We cleaned up the connections as best we could and got better results but still, there was only sound some of the time.  We replaced many of the fuses, with the same result.

We sourced a fuse box from a wrecked Equinox, replaced ours and voila.  Problem solved!!

The fuse box was corroded and all "gummed up."  The box out of my winter beater Chevy Celebrity looked newer.  Dont ask me how that could happen because I have no idea.  We keep the vehicle spotless and have owned it since new, with no water damage or anything of the sort.

If you have any specific questions, pls feel free to let me know.  If you are having the same issue, I suggest playing around with the fuses to start.  If there is not a good connection (loose, or fouled) it very well may be causing your issue.

Thanks again for all of the help,

Regards,

Greg 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: