EquinoxForum.net Bookmark and Share
July 26, 2014, 06:09:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to TerrainForum, EquinoxForum & SRXForum! We're glad you found us!

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What size socket for oil filter cap  (Read 14169 times)
cobraed

Ignore
« on: September 11, 2011, 07:24:14 PM »

What is the size of the socket for oil filter cap on the 4cyl 2011 Equinox?

Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 07:41:03 PM »

It is 1 1/4", but is needs to be a shallow socket.  I took a standard one,  and cut some length off of it.

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
43sbest

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 07:50:55 PM »

What is the size of the socket for oil filter cap on the 4cyl 2011 Equinox?

This is what you need along with a short or flex head 3/8 drive ratchet. Advance Auto Parts sells an off brand in most of their stores for about $13 but they can special order the Lisle 14700 socket (considered the best quality) for about $9 shipped to the store free. Most auto parts stores probably sell some brand of this socket.

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-14700-Filter-Wrench-2-2L/dp/B0009OMYAQ/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_text_b

2011 GMC Terrain 2.4 FWD SLT - 2
Quicksilver with Titainum leather, Navation and WeatherTech floor & cargo liners & ordered 2/2 delivered 3/26
Colt Hero

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 08:42:02 PM »

Why not just use a metal strap wrench (with a rubber handle)?  I've been using a Plough for at least 15 years now across 4 vehicles.  It's a one-size-fits-all solution.  Normally these kinds of solutions don't work very well, but this is an exception - and you won't have to buy another wrench or socket for your next vehicle (or confuse multiple sockets when you go to use them ... its bad enough that these manufacturers can't at least settle on a standard oil plug bolt head size).   

2011 Equinox 1LT (new Jan 2011)
Summit White / 3.0 L V6
18" Wheels / Pioneer Stereo
62,200 Miles (7/15/14)

"Colt Hero" is a car, not a gun
RNOX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 06:09:21 AM »

Go with the shallow Leslie Socket.  You can get for less than $10 and you won't strip the plastic cap. Just google it.  I have changed oil in 2 - 2.2 Ecotechs with the cap but they had room for a regular socket.  The 2.4 on the Nox does not.  The Ecotechs make it real easy to change the oil.  Another reason I like the 4 cyl.
Vinnie

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 08:05:59 PM »

Its 1 1/4"  or 32 mm.

V
Hawkeye-08

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 11:14:22 AM »

Why not just use a metal strap wrench (with a rubber handle)?  I've been using a Plough for at least 15 years now across 4 vehicles.  It's a one-size-fits-all solution.  Normally these kinds of solutions don't work very well, but this is an exception - and you won't have to buy another wrench or socket for your next vehicle (or confuse multiple sockets when you go to use them ... its bad enough that these manufacturers can't at least settle on a standard oil plug bolt head size).   

Because the I-4 does not use a can filter, it uses a cartridge filter. The plastic lid does not lend itself to a strap wrench.
lovebohn

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 12:23:15 PM »

Go with the shallow Leslie Socket.  You can get for less than $10 and you won't strip the plastic cap. Just google it.  I have changed oil in 2 - 2.2 Ecotechs with the cap but they had room for a regular socket.  The 2.4 on the Nox does not.  The Ecotechs make it real easy to change the oil.  Another reason I like the 4 cyl.

I went this route with an Amazon purchase for less than $10.

justin1795

Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 12:29:15 AM »

i purchased one off the matco truck for under 10.00
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: