EquinoxForum.net Bookmark and Share
July 24, 2014, 01:00:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum Tip: Click the little blue 'new' icon next to any topic to jump right to the first unread message.

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do Bluetooth and "OnStar's" hands free calling differ?  (Read 5930 times)
Stacy

Ignore
« on: September 29, 2011, 03:22:01 AM »

I don't plan on extending the OnStar after the free 6 mos expires and wonder what the heck is different between the two.  They sound like the same thing to me as far as calls go. Huh?  I haven't gotten NOX yet so I'm not familiar with either.

2012 Equinox LTZ w/ navi
White Summit  Brownstone/jet black
18" wheels
Sumr616

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 04:48:10 AM »

Bluetooth is just a way to hook up your phone to the radio. You can make calls through your phone, by using your car. Basically like putting it on speakerphone, but you use voice-commands to begin a call. You push the button on the steering wheel to prompt the car, and then you say "Call Jeff" and your car would find his phone number in your phone and call him.

OnStar minutes are minutes that you can buy to use with OnStar. Let's say you're driving around in some totally random area, and you need to call home and tell someone that you left the coffee pot on and they need to turn it off. BUT, your cell phone is dead, or you don't have reception. You can use your OnStar connection and minutes to make a phone call. Your OnStar service gives you your own "OnStar phone number," so people can even call YOU on it if you give them the phone number. That's kind of like having a pre-paid phone for emergencies. Whenever you pick up your car, they help you set up your OnStar trial and while doing that, the OnStar rep will ask if you want to buy those minutes.

Personally, I did not buy any minutes, and I'm glad I didn't. My OnStar trial ends tomorrow, and I've never wanted to or needed to use OnStar to make a phone call. But, to each his own. Some may find it handy as an "emergency" option, but I didn't because I don't plan on keeping OnStar.

**As a side note on this thread, does anyone know if OnStar offers you a super awesome amazing price if you wait as long as possible to renew? They've only offered me the standard price so far. I've considered renewing it for the next year only, since my husband is gone for the next year, just for a little more security, but I don't want to pay $20/month for it. Just wondering if you get a better deal after your trial expires, because you do with the XM radio.

2011 I4 Equinox LS bought 3/31/11 : after multiple failed repairs for stalling/start-up noise issues, pursued a GM-assisted replacement. GM agreed, and paid several thousand dollars to get me into my current vehicle...

2012 I4 Equinox LS bought 02/28/12
Stacy

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 09:58:58 AM »

Very helpful, Thanx!

2012 Equinox LTZ w/ navi
White Summit  Brownstone/jet black
18" wheels
Don B

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 11:09:57 AM »

Bluetooth is just a way to hook up your phone to the radio. You can make calls through your phone, by using your car. Basically like putting it on speakerphone, but you use voice-commands to begin a call. You push the button on the steering wheel to prompt the car, and then you say "Call Jeff" and your car would find his phone number in your phone and call him.

OnStar minutes are minutes that you can buy to use with OnStar. Let's say you're driving around in some totally random area, and you need to call home and tell someone that you left the coffee pot on and they need to turn it off. BUT, your cell phone is dead, or you don't have reception. You can use your OnStar connection and minutes to make a phone call. Your OnStar service gives you your own "OnStar phone number," so people can even call YOU on it if you give them the phone number. That's kind of like having a pre-paid phone for emergencies. Whenever you pick up your car, they help you set up your OnStar trial and while doing that, the OnStar rep will ask if you want to buy those minutes.

Personally, I did not buy any minutes, and I'm glad I didn't. My OnStar trial ends tomorrow, and I've never wanted to or needed to use OnStar to make a phone call. But, to each his own. Some may find it handy as an "emergency" option, but I didn't because I don't plan on keeping OnStar.

**As a side note on this thread, does anyone know if OnStar offers you a super awesome amazing price if you wait as long as possible to renew? They've only offered me the standard price so far. I've considered renewing it for the next year only, since my husband is gone for the next year, just for a little more security, but I don't want to pay $20/month for it. Just wondering if you get a better deal after your trial expires, because you do with the XM radio.
They never offered me any deals other then the first offer. I told the lady if she could show me how to get the vehicle into the motel room with me so I could make calls from there I'd take their service.

2011 LTZ
Born 12/03/10
Sumr616

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 01:38:38 PM »

I told the lady if she could show me how to get the vehicle into the motel room with me so I could make calls from there I'd take their service.

HA. Nice.

2011 I4 Equinox LS bought 3/31/11 : after multiple failed repairs for stalling/start-up noise issues, pursued a GM-assisted replacement. GM agreed, and paid several thousand dollars to get me into my current vehicle...

NitroCherokee

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 03:35:30 PM »

Bluetooth is just a way to hook up your phone to the radio.

Bluetooth does not connect to the radio for making phone calls, it does connect to the OnStar module (VCIM)

The diffrence is when using Bluetooth you are using you personal cellphone to make and receive calls through the vehicle

OnStar hands free calling is strictly through the OnStar module using your vehicles OnStar hands free calling phone number and you prepurchase the minutes through onStar
Sumr616

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 12:49:08 AM »

Bluetooth does not connect to the radio for making phone calls, it does connect to the OnStar module (VCIM)

The diffrence is when using Bluetooth you are using you personal cellphone to make and receive calls through the vehicle

OnStar hands free calling is strictly through the OnStar module using your vehicles OnStar hands free calling phone number and you prepurchase the minutes through onStar

Ok then, let me rephrase that...

Bluetooth is a basically a way to connect your phone and make calls through your radio's audio system, allowing a hands free, voice controlled operation.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: