EquinoxForum.net Bookmark and Share
September 18, 2014, 04:39:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Download our new iPhone, Android & Blackberry App! more info

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to add navigation to a 2012?  (Read 17385 times)
skotti

Ignore
« on: November 06, 2011, 03:31:17 AM »

We have a 2012 2LT, with the touch-screen 'info-tainment' system- but no nav, except through OnStar.
Does anyone know what is involved if I'd like to add navigation?  I'm wondering if it is as 'simple' as re-programming and/or adding hardware, or does the entire unit need to be removed and replaced with a nav-capable unit.  And if the latter is the case- any suggestions as to best (lowest cost) place to get a new nav-capable unit.  And I already know I have the Garmin/TomTom option, so please, save it  Roll Eyes
I've asked over in the technical forums, but no response.
TIA  Cheers 
Rick Tinley Park

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 12:59:35 PM »

If you are planning to keep On-Star (basic) and don't want the extra 9.99 for its Nav -- There is an alternative.... On-Star will turn your nav on and off so if you want to use the nav today -- have them turn it on and you'll have it for one month -- then some other time you can turn it on again. Generally I only use the O-S Nav during 3 months a year so I have it turned on as I need it.. that way I am paying $30 a year rather than $120.... Just a thought if installing a Nav unit and want to compare costs

2011 Cardinal Red 2LT
Power Moon Roof
Chrome Package
Leather
rlhmarines

1st Civ Div 5th Laidback Livin Room Group Savannah

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 10:14:34 PM »

I think you can port a navigation app, like navigon or similar apps, from your smartphone via usb port to the (UFU) chevy mytouch radio in the 2012 equinox 1LT and above. I watched a video on youtube that shows and explains this process as they demonstrated it with a pandora app ported from a smartphone to the radio. Also I believe that an update later in the year will expand on some features on this new audio system.

2013 Equinox LTZ 3.6 V6 Fwd
Black ext, Black/Brownstone int
MyLink w/Navigation, Sunroof
Lane Departure/Forward Collision Alert
19 inch Chrome Clad Alluminum Wheels
Built the week of 8/6/12 @ CAMI
Barbidoll1175

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 07:53:52 AM »

RLHMARINES - Would you mind posting a link or what to search for on youtube to find that video? I've searched and searched and can't seem to locate it.

SKOTTI - I am in the same boat. I also purchased a 2012 2lt nox with touchscreen and am now wanting to add the navigation. Have you been able to find out how/where to do it for the best price? I was told when I purchased the vehicle that it wouldn't be a problem to add it on later and would be about a 45 minute job, but was told it was approx $800, which to me, seems a bit steep consider the screen is already there. If you go to the Chevy website and "build your own" equinox, when you "add" the audio system with nav, it's $795....hmmmm.
skotti

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 05:24:37 PM »

No, haven't found out much more than what is posted above.  When I have time, I'm going to the dealership to see what is specifically needed to add nav.  I'm traveling now, so won't be until the new year.
I am somewhat interested in the smartphone app possibility as well.
dwendt44

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 10:21:24 PM »

While the on board navigation is great, some are finding that a separate Tom-Tom, or Garmin is equal or better and cheaper in the long run.

You can leave it home when not needed.

Entry level Tom-Tom's are about $90; and go up from there.

Salesman I know is advising buyers, if they need to trim here and there to make a deal/price, to skip the NAV and go with the aftermarket.

SLT1 Merlot/black. v-6. FWD.

Dee Zee running boards.
EDwardo

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 06:52:51 AM »

I've been using the trial version of OnStar with directions and connections.  The $199 a year plan is going to save me about $150 bucks a year on my insurance bill.  If you get the directions (same as having a GPS/nav dealio) plan, it's an extra hundred bucks a year more (or less - see appropriate threads).  You can get 8 years of navigation via OnStar for the same price as upgrading to a Nav system. 

2012 2.4L 4cyl FWD Equinox LTZ w/ sunroof
Twilight Blue Metallic
Jet Black Leather Interior
Engine block heater!!!11!!1!
Rick Tinley Park

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 09:53:56 AM »

Also, you need not keep the Onstar nav on. You can have them turn it on for the $10 a month price only when you use it.

2011 Cardinal Red 2LT
Power Moon Roof
Chrome Package
Leather
Mochaman

Mochaman Mochaman

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 09:30:34 PM »

I've been using the trial version of OnStar with directions and connections.  The $199 a year plan is going to save me about $150 bucks a year on my insurance bill.  If you get the directions (same as having a GPS/nav dealio) plan, it's an extra hundred bucks a year more (or less - see appropriate threads).  You can get 8 years of navigation via OnStar for the same price as upgrading to a Nav system. 

But the Onstart directions suck they are consistantly 25yrds off.

2012 Mocha SLE2
  Chrome Enhancements package
    Grille
    Door Handles
    Wheel Skins
    Center Hub Caps
    Mirror Covers
  AVS in channel Window Vents
  Tinted front windows
  Added BTV remote start function
1998 Pewter C5 Corvette
alfred67

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 05:34:28 PM »

Has anyone try this??  Nav unlock --PAC-NU-GM3
It says works for terrain

Alfred67
skotti

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 06:56:52 PM »

It says works for terrain

Alfred67

Any more information on this- where did you find this?  There are likely some features that can be activated on these vehicles...
alfred67

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 06:00:06 AM »

Any more information on this- where did you find this?  There are likely some features that can be activated on these vehicles...

Google Pac-nu-gm3

For some reason I can't post a link

Alfred67
Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 07:25:12 AM »

Google Pac-nu-gm3

For some reason I can't post a link

Alfred67

You need a certain number of posts before this Site trusts you enough to post a link !  It may be 5.

Welcome

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
kimbered

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 09:18:18 AM »

This appears to be an 'unlock' for the Passenger ... so they can operate an already installed navigation system.  It is not going to add navigation to your system.

Found this:
-Navigation Unlock Interface for Select 29-bit GM LAN vehicles
-Allows the factory navigation features of your GM radio or the reverse camera to be used by the passenger at any time
-Text Displayed on Radio “Confirm safe use” Passenger must confirm for the navigation features to be unlocked

- 2012 Chevy Equinox 1LT FWD 6cyl & Driver Convenience Package -
skotti

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 09:40:35 AM »

This appears to be an 'unlock' for the Passenger ... so they can operate an already installed navigation system.  It is not going to add navigation to your system.

Found this:
-Navigation Unlock Interface for Select 29-bit GM LAN vehicles
-Allows the factory navigation features of your GM radio or the reverse camera to be used by the passenger at any time
-Text Displayed on Radio “Confirm safe use” Passenger must confirm for the navigation features to be unlocked

I suppose that is the mystery- whether the nav capability is 'there'- and can be activated with this unit.
But- while all this is nice, it is N/A for a 2012 Equinox.  I went to the pac-audio website, you can search what products are available by make/model/year.
I'll send them an email and see if they will have one for the 2012- and I bet they will know whether the nav is already installed in the system.
Mochaman

Mochaman Mochaman

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 09:55:58 AM »

I think what the module does is allow the functions of a already equipted nav system that are locked out while moving to work, not enable a dormant nav system capability.

2012 Mocha SLE2
  Chrome Enhancements package
    Grille
    Door Handles
    Wheel Skins
    Center Hub Caps
    Mirror Covers
  AVS in channel Window Vents
  Tinted front windows
  Added BTV remote start function
1998 Pewter C5 Corvette
darkside

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2011, 10:44:11 AM »

As dwendt44 said it would be more cost efficient to just use a garmin or tom-tom type of portable gps unit. Also it is nice to be able to take it with you to use in other vehicles and in you get a unit with lifetime map updates that make it even better.

Come to the darkside We have cookies!
13 Terrain 3.6L v6 awd  red
skotti

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2011, 02:23:19 PM »

As dwendt44 said it would be more cost efficient to just use a garmin or tom-tom type of portable gps unit. Also it is nice to be able to take it with you to use in other vehicles and in you get a unit with lifetime map updates that make it even better.

Yeah, I do that in my Audi now- and would still prefer to have an OEM product, especially integrated into that beautiful big touch screen sitting there. Without nav, it is just a big-screen audio system.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: