EquinoxForum.net Bookmark and Share
December 22, 2014, 07:52:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Download our new iPhone, Android & Blackberry App! more info

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2011 Chevy Equinox Check Engine Code P0011  (Read 24466 times)
SmokeyVol

Ignore
« on: November 06, 2011, 08:04:02 PM »

Brand new to this site. I fully understand that this is more than likely a duplicate thread and may need merger; however, there is alot to go through. Well, my check engine light came on tonight and I went to autozone to get the code. The code came out as P0011 "Intake (A)/Camshaft Position sensor Timing over advance" (might be off a little, due to it was a note from the guy working there). I fully plan on going straight to the dealership in the morning, but was hoping that I could get some advice so I could have some ammunition when I go in. I saw that there is a recall #11195 out there , and my vehicle has roughly 15K miles and we bought it straight from the dealership in about Feb.

I did notice prior to the check engine light comming on that sometimes during shifting up/down there is a jerk transition, and the vehicle stalled once while accelerating from a stop light. I attributed it to possible bad gasoline. From checking forum sites I noticed there was a recall and I never knew about it. I am very frustrated.

Thanks in advance.
skotti

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 05:35:25 AM »

Appreciate you posting this- keep us updated on what they find.  Camshaft issues can be catastrophic to not only the cam and follower, but the fuel pump as well.
II'm new to the Equinox- we have a 2012 2LT with the I4, so I'm trying to learn as much about potential issues as possible.
Good luck!
Rick Tinley Park

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 01:05:54 PM »

SmokeyVol -- Welcome.... Your running (rough - stall) etc may indicate that you are experiencing what at least part of the recall is about (ECM re-flash -- cured my rough run). Have you had the rattle start syndrome? That is also addressed as part of the recall if your VIN is part of the list... Good luck! thumbs up

2011 Cardinal Red 2LT
Power Moon Roof
Chrome Package
Leather
wrusprod
Theta Freak

2012 V6- AWD Terrain

wrusprod wrusprod

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 01:20:01 PM »

Yep you have the famous P0011 and stalling issue...If you dont yet, you may also start to notice a rattling startup noise intermittantly...

Seems that the recall may take care of the issue with the stalling and P0011..If you do some searching on this site you will see several of us with 2011 Terrain/Equinox I-4 engines have had this issue.

Im really confused at this time what recall or update takes care of the P0011 and stalling. but someone will be posting soon on here to send you and your dealer on the right direction.

We're trying to get an accurate count of people with or without engine startup noise. Please go here and vote. Your vote is private and will not be traced to you.
http://www.terrainforum.net/index.php?topic=3068.0

2012 GMC Terrain V6 AWD- SLE2, convenience package/18" wheels
Sumr616

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 08:34:36 PM »

Depending on your specific build date, it looks like your vehicle won't technically qualify for the recall. But don't let that stop you from talking to the dealership about that same work.

Your car is experiencing the exact same issues, down to every letter. Look at my last post on the "Issues with 2011 terrain" thread for a better explanation on the recall, etc.

2011 I4 Equinox LS bought 3/31/11 : after multiple failed repairs for stalling/start-up noise issues, pursued a GM-assisted replacement. GM agreed, and paid several thousand dollars to get me into my current vehicle...

2012 I4 Equinox LS bought 02/28/12
GM Customer Svc
Theta Guru

Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 01:22:42 PM »

Brand new to this site. I fully understand that this is more than likely a duplicate thread and may need merger; however, there is alot to go through. Well, my check engine light came on tonight and I went to autozone to get the code. The code came out as P0011 "Intake (A)/Camshaft Position sensor Timing over advance" (might be off a little, due to it was a note from the guy working there). I fully plan on going straight to the dealership in the morning, but was hoping that I could get some advice so I could have some ammunition when I go in. I saw that there is a recall #11195 out there , and my vehicle has roughly 15K miles and we bought it straight from the dealership in about Feb.

I did notice prior to the check engine light comming on that sometimes during shifting up/down there is a jerk transition, and the vehicle stalled once while accelerating from a stop light. I attributed it to possible bad gasoline. From checking forum sites I noticed there was a recall and I never knew about it. I am very frustrated.

Thanks in advance.

I am sorry to hear about your conern. I would be happy to look into this for you as well with the last eight of your VIN. Please feel free to contact me privately. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

>>>>>> Please check out the new GM Owner Center at https://my.gm.com/ for more vehicle information!
dkg

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 05:52:22 PM »

Has anyone seen the P0011 code come up on the 3.0L V6? Our 2011 Equinox has approx 14K miles on it and it just started throwing this code. Sad

We have an appointment with our dealer in a couple days and was just wondering what to expect or suggest.

Thanks,
Dave G.
kparrent

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 06:05:46 PM »

Has anyone seen the P0011 code come up on the 3.0L V6? Our 2011 Equinox has approx 14K miles on it and it just started throwing this code. Sad

We have an appointment with our dealer in a couple days and was just wondering what to expect or suggest.

Thanks,
Dave G.

This code refers to Intake Camshaft Position System Performance.  It is set when the desired camshaft position angle is greater than 6 degrees apart from the actual camshaft position angle for 13.5 seconds or more.  

How long since your last oil change?  Oil life and oil level can have major impacts on this.  This will probably be the first thing the dealer will do.

2012 SLT2 2WD 4 cyl
wrusprod
Theta Freak

2012 V6- AWD Terrain

wrusprod wrusprod

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 06:32:39 PM »

Thanks,
Dave G.

first time I have heard this issue with the 3.0L V6...but it would be the same cam positioning issue..

We're trying to get an accurate count of people with or without engine startup noise. Please go here and vote. Your vote is private and will not be traced to you.

GM Customer Svc
Theta Guru

Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 08:09:41 AM »

Thanks,
Dave G.
Dave,

Has your concern been resolved? Please keep me posted on your progress with the dealer and feel free  to reach out if you need further assistance. Thank you.

>>>>>> Please check out the new GM Owner Center at https://my.gm.com/ for more vehicle information!
dkg

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 07:58:06 AM »

This code refers to Intake Camshaft Position System Performance.  It is set when the desired camshaft position angle is greater than 6 degrees apart from the actual camshaft position angle for 13.5 seconds or more.  

How long since your last oil change?  Oil life and oil level can have major impacts on this.  This will probably be the first thing the dealer will do.

Oil level was definitely the issue. When I went to my car in the parking lot two days ago I saw a puddle of oil underneath it. I found the oil filter was not even finger tight Sad And the oil was down 3 quarts!!! The last oil change was 12/28 by a local garage (our dealer is 1.5 hours away). I am trying to figure out how the oil filter got so loose. Considering the amount of oil that was under the vehicle (came out in a period of 45 minutes), I would guess it got loose enough to start leaking oil within the past week.

Now I have a rant. This is the first vehicle I have owned in over 20 years that doesn't give an indication of low oil level. Even my Chevy Silverado will tell me if it is a quart low. I never got a warning that oil level was low or oil pressure was low. Why should the first indication be a Service Engine Light that would normally require most people to get a service department to check the codes???!!! BTW, in addition to the P0011, I also got a P0014 and P0021 on the last reading.

I am really concerned now that running the engine with so little oil might have caused permanent damage. We probably drove over 400 miles since the first SEL indication (I now have to drive 170 miles round trip every weekday for cancer treatment Sad). Then again, since we never saw an oil pressure warning, I have to assume there was still enough oil to circulate around the engine?

Rant #2: Speaking of level indicators. this is the first vehicle I have owned in more than 30 years that won't tell me I am low on windshield washer fluid!! And yet it will make sure I know there are potential ice hazards when the temperature is below 38 degrees -- which happens to be a good part of the year here in Northern Maine! wink Because of the type of roads and weather we have here, leaving home without any washer fluid can be dangerous. With all my other vehicles, we would have enough warning about fluid levels to take care of it before the next trip.

2010Nox

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 11:35:24 AM »

Rant #2: Speaking of level indicators. this is the first vehicle I have owned in more than 30 years that won't tell me I am low on windshield washer fluid!! And yet it will make sure I know there are potential ice hazards when the temperature is below 38 degrees -- which happens to be a good part of the year here in Northern Maine! wink Because of the type of roads and weather we have here, leaving home without any washer fluid can be dangerous. With all my other vehicles, we would have enough warning about fluid levels to take care of it before the next trip.

Are you sure of this because I'm quite sure our 2010 1LT shows low washer fluid in the DIC. And considering the amount we're using this year because of the warm weather and slushy roads, I'm constantly low. My wife drives the Nox so I would have to confirm with her.

Maybe the low warning is only on the Canadian version but I wouldn't think so. Although our 2010 1LT didn't have tire pressure monitors, (I'm glad about that) but our 1LT's do have factory fog lights and I'm glad about that too.

Maybe someone else can comment on this.

2010 Equinox 1LT FWD 2.4L
Cyber Gray Metallic - Jet Black/Titanium interior
Pioneer sound system
Bluetooth VIP (Remote start, etc.)
Cargo cover
dkg

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 12:29:49 PM »

Are you sure of this because I'm quite sure or 2010 1LT shows low washer fluid in the DIC. And considering the amount we're using this year because of the warm weather and slushy roads, I'm constantly low. My wife drives the Nox so I would have to confirm with her.
Definitely sure. Since I posted that, I saw many other posts complaining about the same issue. I shoulda checked that first before sending this thread even further off topic.
andyh

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 07:08:13 PM »

Hey I know this thread is sort of old, however in my attempt not to start a new thread, I will reply to this one. I just bought a I4 2012 equinox and after 440 miles it threw the p0011 code. I have already turned the vehicle back into the dealership, which they replaced the intake camshaft actuator solenoid, but said the ECM was already up to date and didn't flash it. Does this sound right for the 2012 models? I would have thought GM would have fixed the issue seeing as the large number of people affected by it in the 2011 models. Also, is there a list of VINs affected by the recall out for this? Thanks
GM Customer Svc
Theta Guru

Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 08:12:32 AM »

I would be happy to look into this for you with the last eight of your VIN. Please contact me privately for more assistance. Thank you in advance.

Hey I know this thread is sort of old, however in my attempt not to start a new thread, I will reply to this one. I just bought a I4 2012 equinox and after 440 miles it threw the p0011 code. I have already turned the vehicle back into the dealership, which they replaced the intake camshaft actuator solenoid, but said the ECM was already up to date and didn't flash it. Does this sound right for the 2012 models? I would have thought GM would have fixed the issue seeing as the large number of people affected by it in the 2011 models. Also, is there a list of VINs affected by the recall out for this? Thanks

dan23945

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 02:55:59 PM »

I just had the same exact thing happen to my new 2012 I4 Equinox with 3,600 miles on it. I started getting P0011 codes and stalling when accelerating slowly. The more gas I gave it from a stop the less likely it was to stall. After 10 to 15 stalls it started running correctly. The engine light turned off before I could get it into the dealer, but it still showed in the history.

The dealer said it already had the latest ECM software and that GM Technical Service recommended replacing the cam shaft actuators. I haven't yet had them replace the actuators. Seems ridiculous that I'm already having parts go bad with only 3,600 miles on this thing. Have you had any further issues after the actuator solenoid was replaced?
wrusprod
Theta Freak

2012 V6- AWD Terrain

wrusprod wrusprod

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2012, 03:29:49 PM »

Do a search on this Site...2011 I4 issues, actuator replacement, stalling,P0011 code...

Plenty of discussion on this issue..

dan23945

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2012, 06:10:28 PM »

Do a search on this Site...2011 I4 issues, actuator replacement, stalling,P0011 code...

Plenty of discussion on this issue..

I've seen a lot of discussions on here regarding the 2011 models with these issues; however, this was the only thread I could find that had someone experiencing the issue on a 2012 like mine.
Sumr616

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2012, 10:01:11 PM »

I just had the same exact thing happen to my new 2012 I4 Equinox with 3,600 miles on it. I started getting P0011 codes and stalling when accelerating slowly. The more gas I gave it from a stop the less likely it was to stall. After 10 to 15 stalls it started running correctly. The engine light turned off before I could get it into the dealer, but it still showed in the history.

The dealer said it already had the latest ECM software and that GM Technical Service recommended replacing the cam shaft actuators. I haven't yet had them replace the actuators. Seems ridiculous that I'm already having parts go bad with only 3,600 miles on this thing. Have you had any further issues after the actuator solenoid was replaced?

If yours is a 2012 I4, then I believe you may be the first person to post here regarding this issue happening in the 2012 model. As of now, I would think that the same repairs, etc for the 2011 would be your first steps. If all else fails though, look up your state's lemon law now, make note of it, and start keeping everything documented, just in case. Better to be safe than sorry.

Hopefully it's an isolated case.

2011 I4 Equinox LS bought 3/31/11 : after multiple failed repairs for stalling/start-up noise issues, pursued a GM-assisted replacement. GM agreed, and paid several thousand dollars to get me into my current vehicle...

2012 I4 Equinox LS bought 02/28/12
darkside

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2012, 08:02:26 AM »

Oil level was definitely the issue. When I went to my car in the parking lot two days ago I saw a puddle of oil underneath it. I found the oil filter was not even finger tight Sad And the oil was down 3 quarts!!! The last oil change was 12/28 by a local garage (our dealer is 1.5 hours away). I am trying to figure out how the oil filter got so loose. Considering the amount of oil that was under the vehicle (came out in a period of 45 minutes), I would guess it got loose enough to start leaking oil within the past week.

Now I have a rant. This is the first vehicle I have owned in over 20 years that doesn't give an indication of low oil level. Even my Chevy Silverado will tell me if it is a quart low. I never got a warning that oil level was low or oil pressure was low. Why should the first indication be a Service Engine Light that would normally require most people to get a service department to check the codes???!!! BTW, in addition to the P0011, I also got a P0014 and P0021 on the last reading.

I am really concerned now that running the engine with so little oil might have caused permanent damage. We probably drove over 400 miles since the first SEL indication (I now have to drive 170 miles round trip every weekday for cancer treatment Sad). Then again, since we never saw an oil pressure warning, I have to assume there was still enough oil to circulate around the engine?

It does have a low oil indicator . It is called a dipstick and should be checked regularly.

Come to the darkside We have cookies!
13 Terrain 3.6L v6 awd  red
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: