EquinoxForum.net Bookmark and Share
October 21, 2014, 12:53:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to TerrainForum, EquinoxForum & SRXForum! We're glad you found us!

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remote Start Part # 20981996  (Read 53151 times)
cpem1276

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: February 13, 2012, 09:33:16 PM »

Been There done that. That is why the bulletin previously in this thread went out it takes a "factory Latch" not the 2010-2011 one that comes with the kit. As long as your parking lights blink when you try to remote start it when the latch gets swapped it will work just fine.

I have to give the parts guy some slack, I think I was confusing him a little bit.

Yes the lights flash. I was also happy to hear when the tech said the BCM had the same 2 codes yours showed with the 11 latch.

Did you need to have the codes cleared after the correct 12 latch was installed?

2012 AWD 1LT
cpem1276

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: February 13, 2012, 09:48:47 PM »

Just curious - How much does it wind up costing (all-in cost, including key fobs) to put remote start into an Equinox ?

I think I got a good price break ...

kit $96
key $44.91 x2= $ 89.82
2012 latch $39.85
Program $ 50

So about $275 + tax so far

Not bad considering dealer install aftermarket remote start (requires carrying around another fob) is normally $695 OUCH! Currently on sale for $395 ...still OUCH!

2012 AWD 1LT
Mochaman

Mochaman Mochaman

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: February 14, 2012, 08:52:40 AM »

I have to give the parts guy some slack, I think I was confusing him a little bit.

Yes the lights flash. I was also happy to hear when the tech said the BCM had the same 2 codes yours showed with the 11 latch.

Did you need to have the codes cleared after the correct 12 latch was installed?

I do not believe (remember) so just put the latch in and went on my way.

2012 Mocha SLE2
  Chrome Enhancements package
    Grille
    Door Handles
    Wheel Skins
    Center Hub Caps
    Mirror Covers
  AVS in channel Window Vents
  Tinted front windows
  Added BTV remote start function
1998 Pewter C5 Corvette
Mochaman

Mochaman Mochaman

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: February 14, 2012, 08:59:49 AM »

I think I got a good price break ...

kit $96
key $44.91 x2= $ 89.82
2012 latch $39.85
Program $ 50

So about $275 + tax so far

Not bad considering dealer install aftermarket remote start (requires carrying around another fob) is normally $695 OUCH! Currently on sale for $395 ...still OUCH!

I got better $209 total  but I got a GM retiree discount and did not have to pay for the latch (neither should you) since it was a replacement part for the kit and only got 1 key the 2 old ones still work w/o remote start.

2012 Mocha SLE2
    Grille
    Door Handles
    Wheel Skins
    Center Hub Caps
    Mirror Covers
  Tinted front windows
1998 Pewter C5 Corvette
cpem1276

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: February 14, 2012, 07:42:24 PM »

I got better $209 total  but I got a GM retiree discount and did not have to pay for the latch (neither should you) since it was a replacement part for the kit and only got 1 key the 2 old ones still work w/o remote start.

Add another remote to that and I didn't do much worst than you. Yes I paid for the 12 latch, but I was also buying the kit knowing that the included latch would not work & the parts dept knew that too.

Fast forward to today.... 12 latch came in, installed in 10 min... Now I have working remote start. No codes needed to be cleared for it to work.

Thank you for being figuring this out & guiding the way.

Now who is in the market for a 10-11 hood latch for remote start ?

2012 AWD 1LT
Mochaman

Mochaman Mochaman

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: February 15, 2012, 11:13:39 AM »

Add another remote to that and I didn't do much worst than you. Yes I paid for the 12 latch, but I was also buying the kit knowing that the included latch would not work & the parts dept knew that too.

Fast forward to today.... 12 latch came in, installed in 10 min... Now I have working remote start. No codes needed to be cleared for it to work.

Thank you for being figuring this out & guiding the way.

Now who is in the market for a 10-11 hood latch for remote start ?

Cool another mod done well

2012 Mocha SLE2
    Grille
    Door Handles
    Wheel Skins
    Center Hub Caps
    Mirror Covers
  Tinted front windows
1998 Pewter C5 Corvette
ToeNuttz

It is what it is, but it's MY Terrain!

Email

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: February 22, 2012, 05:16:14 PM »

I had my Remote Start feature added today. It was the first one the dealership I went to ever did.  They had no problems installing it.  Of course I did print out the PDF files on this thread and this thread just incase they had any problems.  Works like a charm. Cheers

2011 GMC Terrain SLE-2 Cyber Gray Metallic, 2.4 I4, 2WD,
4 piece In Channel VentVisors/Shade
WeatherTech Cargo Liner
Divinity Racing D48 by Pinnacle Wheels
4300 Xtreme Digital HID Conversion Kit
De-badged, Mark II VG Shark Fin Antenna
K&N 77 Series Air Intake, Custom duel exhaust
Terrain2011

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2012, 09:44:16 PM »

I had my Remote Start feature added today. It was the first one the dealership I went to ever did.  They had no problems installing it.  Of course I did print out the PDF files on this thread and this thread just incase they had any problems.  Works like a charm. Cheers

Does that mean they have the hood latch problem correted for the 2011s?   
ToeNuttz

It is what it is, but it's MY Terrain!

Email

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: February 22, 2012, 10:50:12 PM »

that seems to be the case Terrain2011.

2011 GMC Terrain SLE-2 Cyber Gray Metallic, 2.4 I4, 2WD,
4 piece In Channel VentVisors/Shade
WeatherTech Cargo Liner
Divinity Racing D48 by Pinnacle Wheels
4300 Xtreme Digital HID Conversion Kit
De-badged, Mark II VG Shark Fin Antenna
K&N 77 Series Air Intake, Custom duel exhaust
Mochaman

Mochaman Mochaman

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: February 23, 2012, 01:13:22 PM »

There never was an issue with the 2010-2011 it is the correct latch for them it is not for the 2012.

2012 Mocha SLE2
    Grille
    Door Handles
    Wheel Skins
    Center Hub Caps
    Mirror Covers
  Tinted front windows
1998 Pewter C5 Corvette
jethro777

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: July 30, 2012, 09:19:36 PM »

You don't have to install the factory part #20981996 to have remote start using your factory keyfob.  I was bent on installing an aftermarket starter on my new 2012 Equinox like I had done on previous late model cars, with the added requirement of having it work with my factory keyfob.  I just completed the install of a Bulldog remote starter kit in my 2012 Equinox and it uses my factory keyfob (press the door lock button 3 times to start the car).   I did the install myself and the total cost was $40.  I am not a professional, and am not suggesting a do-it-yourself install unless you have some decent knowledge of wiring.  I got a bargain by picking up the remote starter kit (unopened new in the box) at a flea market for $5.   Yeah, that was a bargain, but you can pick them up all day long on ebay for $20-$50.  I paid $30 for the bypass module which I had flashed free at Ziebart.  I read of someone who had a module flashed for free at BestBuy.  My local car stereo store would have flashed it for $5.  Finally, I bought a relay at Radio Shack for $4 to get my factory keyfob to work the starter.  So cool....I only have to carry the factory flipkey.  Range on my remote is about 125-150 feet....enough for what I need.   I guess I should mention it did take me several days of frustration, numerous calls to technicians and professionals trying to troubleshoot why my factory keyfob wasn't doing the start.  None of their help was right on target, but bit by bit and some experimentation finally led me to find the right combination of wires to relay the starter using the factory keyfob. 
Mrhindsight

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: August 01, 2012, 01:16:05 AM »

I just wanted to throw this out there. As I'm still considering buying a Terrain, I thought I'd call my local dealer and check on remote start pricing. They quoted me $259.59 total with install. I don't think that's a bad price at all for the factory style system. 
Mochaman

Mochaman Mochaman

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: August 02, 2012, 08:08:03 AM »

I just wanted to throw this out there. As I'm still considering buying a Terrain, I thought I'd call my local dealer and check on remote start pricing. They quoted me $259.59 total with install. I don't think that's a bad price at all for the factory style system.

That's about the right price with out the GM employee discount. Good luck. Still fighting with onstar to get it on my smartphone app. They keep saying thay are working on it Bang Head

2012 Mocha SLE2
    Grille
    Door Handles
    Wheel Skins
    Center Hub Caps
    Mirror Covers
  Tinted front windows
1998 Pewter C5 Corvette
rbarrios
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: August 02, 2012, 09:47:32 AM »

Why dont you just buy a NEW unit with factory installed Remote start... vs after the fact?

2013 Equinox  LT1 3.6L V6 FWD -   27,000
2010 Traverse LT1 3.6L V6 FWD -  84,000
2003 Trailblazer LS  4.2L I6 RWD- 173,000
Mochaman

Mochaman Mochaman

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: August 02, 2012, 10:18:06 AM »

Why dont you just buy a NEW unit with factory installed Remote start... vs after the fact?

Because it costs $480 and comes with heated seats (don't need or want them myself). It is not available on the SLE1 as an option either so I assume the same for the LS Nox.

2012 Mocha SLE2
    Grille
    Door Handles
    Wheel Skins
    Center Hub Caps
    Mirror Covers
  Tinted front windows
1998 Pewter C5 Corvette
rockleefifa44

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: August 15, 2012, 06:43:17 PM »

What happens if I get a new remote with the additional button and program it to my car I have already read about sticking the keys in and out to program it? Will it work w/or without the the other remotes? Can I still keep one of my old remotes taught or do I have to get 2 new ones? I only need one fob to remote start?How many remotes can be programmed at one time?
cpem1276

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: September 08, 2012, 12:07:00 PM »

What happens if I get a new remote with the additional button and program it to my car I have already read about sticking the keys in and out to program it? Will it work w/or without the the other remotes? Can I still keep one of my old remotes taught or do I have to get 2 new ones? I only need one fob to remote start?How many remotes can be programmed at one time?

Your old remotes will still work, just wont remote start the car. Not sure how many total remotes can be programmed at once. I currently have 5.

2012 AWD 1LT
Mrhindsight

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: September 08, 2012, 10:09:23 PM »

That's about the right price with out the GM employee discount. Good luck. Still fighting with onstar to get it on my smartphone app. They keep saying thay are working on it Bang Head

My Terrain is in the process of getting the remote start installed, among some warranty work.  In the mean time I've created my onstar account and have downloaded the myLink app to my iPhone. Since my Terrain has been at the dealer, I've updated the app daily, and still don't see the remote start icons. I assumed it just hasn't been installed yet, but after reading this, I'll have to talk to onstar maybe. Please update if you've been able to get the app working w/ your Terrain. Thanks.

Edit: Sorry, I got the app name wrong. It's the RemoteLink app, not MyLink.
Mochaman

Mochaman Mochaman

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: September 10, 2012, 07:29:57 AM »

My Terrain is in the process of getting the remote start installed, among some warranty work.  In the mean time I've created my onstar account and have downloaded the myLink app to my iPhone. Since my Terrain has been at the dealer, I've updated the app daily, and still don't see the remote start icons. I assumed it just hasn't been installed yet, but after reading this, I'll have to talk to onstar maybe. Please update if you've been able to get the app working w/ your Terrain. Thanks.

Edit: Sorry, I got the app name wrong. It's the RemoteLink app, not MyLink.
No luck with Onstar app & remote start. I went through quite a bit with them and finally got a "no way" and an offer of free D&C for 1 yr. Better than nothing but I still can't understand what the problem is because the R/S is exactly the same as factory. Your turn to try to fight it out with them keep us posted.

2012 Mocha SLE2
    Grille
    Door Handles
    Wheel Skins
    Center Hub Caps
    Mirror Covers
  Tinted front windows
1998 Pewter C5 Corvette
Mrhindsight

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: September 12, 2012, 01:33:56 AM »

No luck with Onstar app & remote start. I went through quite a bit with them and finally got a "no way" and an offer of free D&C for 1 yr. Better than nothing but I still can't understand what the problem is because the R/S is exactly the same as factory. Your turn to try to fight it out with them keep us posted.

That's sucks. I'll have to give it a shot when I get my Terrain back. It's in for the minor paint repair, which I was told would only be 2, maybe 3 days at the most. It's been a week now. Also was told the remote start kit is on back order. They ordered it 12 days ago, who knows when that'll be in. Anyway, I'll keep you guys posted on the app situation. That really is a let down if it doesn't get added. We'll see.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: