EquinoxForum.net Bookmark and Share
October 22, 2014, 05:35:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to TerrainForum, EquinoxForum & SRXForum! We're glad you found us!

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: front hub bearing replacement ??  (Read 12879 times)
joeblow55

Ignore
« on: March 04, 2012, 08:25:18 PM »

06 equinox AWD ... Groaning noise coming from front (I think) .  72000 miles, and car needed tires anyway. It sounded like a tire noise to me and seemed worst at 40 - 50 MPH. New tires did not help. One guy told me front hub bearings...common on Equinox. Never looked at the car, said he knew what the problem was just by my description and having done several 'Nox's already. Any help out there is much appreciated. Considering doing it myself in the driveway. Difficult ? Special tools needed ?
POLRCUB II
Theta Guru

POLRCUB II,,, Lovin' The '300 Club'

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 09:27:14 PM »

Well firstly, should make sure that the hub bearings are indeed the problem.
Since you mentioned that you would like to DIY, I'm assuming you have some common tools at your disposal?
So easiest way to check bearing play is to jack up the wheel in question to take the weight off and conduct quick movements with the wheel in both vertical and horizontal directions. If the bearing is gone you will feel the free play through the wheel -  make sure of course that your tie rod end is not creating the play in the wheel.

Only 'speciality' tool I can think of of hand, is the correct socket size for the axle nut as it is most likely over a 1 inch size socket so common socket kits don't go that large normally.

Hope that helps somewhat, cheers!

POLRCUB,19"GM LF671's on 255's
Full load,SatNAV/Rear Ent.pkg./Lane assist/front cam collision/blind spot,
4pcWeatherTechs,Blendmount radar,white GM Guards,6KLED Int & LED Ext. 6KHID fogs & DRLs,VG Fin,custom 3M, purple trim & 28%tint, lowering spring kit
MY13 3.6L Denali
Farewell MY10, 11 & 12
NoobNox
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 09:53:47 PM »

I can't add any technical help for the replacement itself, but I've been told in the past that if you have one bad wheel bearing...go ahead and replace the one on the opposite side as well. Sounds logical to me..

2010 Equinox 2LT Silver Ice metallic, 2.4 I4, 2WD, Titanium leather
ls973800

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 09:24:44 AM »

If you end up doing it yourself you might not have all of the proper tools.  The large socket for the axle nut (could be a metric size such as 33 or 35), and a large torque wrench to reset the axle nut.  I believe you might be using some torque values over 100 foot pounds, if not nearer 200 or so.

You can "rent" these tools at many auto parts stores by leaving a deposit when you pick them up.  The deposit usually is the cost to replace the tools if you don't bring them back.  When you do return the tools, you get 100% of your deposit back, so the tools were a free "rental".

Good luck if you decide to do it, I've done at least a half dozen on various Grand Ams, Oldsmobile Aleros, and a Buick Le Sabre.
POLRCUB II
Theta Guru

POLRCUB II,,, Lovin' The '300 Club'

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 11:05:55 AM »

I believe you might be using some torque values over 100 foot pounds, if not nearer 200 or so.

I can't recall either off hand, better to check the torque spec with your local Dealer joeblow55.

POLRCUB,19"GM LF671's on 255's
Full load,SatNAV/Rear Ent.pkg./Lane assist/front cam collision/blind spot,
4pcWeatherTechs,Blendmount radar,white GM Guards,6KLED Int & LED Ext. 6KHID fogs & DRLs,VG Fin,custom 3M, purple trim & 28%tint, lowering spring kit
MY13 3.6L Denali
Farewell MY10, 11 & 12
alvntx

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 09:22:20 AM »

If this is a common problem in this particular vehicle (I have a 2010 Terrain), is GMC doing anything about it?  I am being told both front hub bearings are out on my car and that it is not an unusual problem, even tho I have only 61,500 miles on the car.

Can anyone advise please?Huh??
GM Customer Svc
Theta Guru

Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 11:46:51 AM »

If this is a common problem in this particular vehicle (I have a 2010 Terrain), is GMC doing anything about it?  I am being told both front hub bearings are out on my car and that it is not an unusual problem, even tho I have only 61,500 miles on the car.

I would be happy to look into this for you. Please contact me privately with the last eight of your VIN for more assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

>>>>>> Please check out the new GM Owner Center at https://my.gm.com/ for more vehicle information!
Shawn

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 02:00:24 PM »

What did you find out? Cost?

I have a 2010 Chevrolet Equinox that is having the same issue! It sounds like it is coming from the right front.

Why hasn't this been addressed? It's an obvious issue.

Shawn
alaric23

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 03:55:07 PM »

Had mine replaced in my 2010 Terrain at 140,000 km. Repair cost me $600 at Humberview in Toronto.

2010 GMC Terrain SLT-2
Onyx Black/Brownstone
FWD, 3.0 L V6
Loaded w/o Nav and DVD
Debadged, VG Shark Fin, Full WeatherTech DigitalFit, K&N, CoulVue iPad Mount
20" Boss 340 Super Finish Black, Yokohama Parada Spec-X 255/45/20
hyperv6
Theta Freak

hyperv6 hyperv6

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 05:42:33 PM »

Hub bearing issues are common on all new positive offset vehicles which is nearly all of them.  Todays cars use a sealed ball bearing unit vs the old stronger roller bearings they used to use. The reason Ball Bearings roll easier as they have less surface area and that makes for better MPG.

Rollers have a large surface area and generally nearly never wear out but they have more drag.

Changing them is not hard but they so take some special sockets for the hub nut. There are some good how to vidieos on the web that will give you an idea if it is in your skill range or not. Most change pretty much similar anymore but try to find one on a Nox or Malibu and it will give you the best idea.

Sometime one is bad some times two are bad just depends on how it was damaged. Ball Bearings have a small surface area and they can wear but just sliding into a curb in the winter is a enough to wipe one out and not the other. Check the play and it should be under .002.

Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 06:25:44 PM »

Hyperv6 :

What vehicle do you plan to buy next ?  The reason I ask is, you are a wealth of knowledge, and share it freely.  I want to make sure that I own the same vehicle as you, so that I can continue to learn from you.  I was wondering why vehicles switched to ball bearings - I had assumed it was cost driven, not efficiency driven.  The old roller bearings were cheap, and easy to replace, and not so with the call bearings.

Cheers

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
hyperv6
Theta Freak

hyperv6 hyperv6

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 03:49:04 AM »

Hyperv6 :

What vehicle do you plan to buy next ?  The reason I ask is, you are a wealth of knowledge, and share it freely.  I want to make sure that I own the same vehicle as you, so that I can continue to learn from you.  I was wondering why vehicles switched to ball bearings - I had assumed it was cost driven, not efficiency driven.  The old roller bearings were cheap, and easy to replace, and not so with the call bearings.

Cheers

Not Sure.

I will not be due for another car for about 5 more years and who knows what will be out by then.

I really would love to buy a small truck but the Colorado that is coming is bigger than I want. I miss my old Sonoma. Also with so much new product coming I am not sure where I may look next for a new car.

We would not have gotten the Terrain if the wife had not wanted it. I am glad she did as I have enjoyed it much but for my daily driver I want something that can haul and has some performance about it. My Sonoma was just a 4.3 V6 but I had the ZQ8 suspension.

Right now if I had to replace the SS I would look at a Camaro or GS but bother are due to be replaced soon so I would hate to get one and then it be old in a year or two. The problem is most of what I really would like is too expensive for what I want to pay.  I love the ATS but the one I drove was $51K and was not even a V series.

Rollers to day are not really cheaper than the tapers it is more a deal with MPG. This is why the FWD cars all went to positive offset wheels as do nearly all the RWD vehicles too. This is why people can put a Camaro wheel on a Nox today. In the past vehicles like a S 10 used to use normal offset wheels on 2WD and positive offset on 4x4. They are just trying to center the weigh on the wheel more and keep it under the bearing vs leveraging it out and putting more force on the bearing.

There is a lot of things they are doing now and will do for MPG in the coming years. Not all of it is better.

banjoman

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 05:09:38 PM »

the wife just bought an 05 AWD equinox with 69,000 and i just replaced the left rear bearing hub assembly today... 179.00 at napa with ABS.  took about an hour or so. i made me a  tool to bolt onto the hub at the wheel mounting surface,, it bolts to 2 of the lug studs and turns 90 degrees and sticks out about 2 feet,,  put a couple of lug nuts on and wiggle it or tap it with a hammer and hub comes right loose..
   the thing was roaring like a lion,,, drove it today and now i can hear the right rear just a little like its going too.. so i will get another tomorrow and do the same to that side too.
  i heard they could be a bear to remove sometimes so i figured leverage would be my friend.. worked real good.
  next thing will be to swap out the CD player....    oh well i guess everything has its bugs.

terry m
702marine

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 05:52:36 PM »

Not to hate on Napa or Auto Zone cause they are my favorite go to parts store, but some times when I can wait a couple of day i order my parts for JcWhitney and believe me most my parts are a lot cheaper. I tends to do it myself and save a couple of $  Grin.

2011 nox p/w,p/l, b-up camera sun roof navi dvd power power lift gate remote start 4 cyl foglights
hyperv6
Theta Freak

hyperv6 hyperv6

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2013, 05:24:17 AM »

Summit Racing will beat anyone's advertised  price and generally get the part in 1-3 days. Even Stock ones.
teetertotter

Bought new 14' Acadia SLT-1 10-14-14. No Terrain

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2013, 06:47:27 AM »

The front passenger side wheel bearing went out on our 07 Acadia with just after 20K+ miles.  GM had NO replacements anywhere in their system.  We were going on vacation in 3 days time.  I went to local front end shop and they found one at Napa, in MN., and had it shipped over night.  They charged me $365.00 and we were on our way.   I e-mailed GMC customer service and had a check within 3 weeks time.  I did have to take the assembly to the GMC dealer for the service manager to verify.  The wheel hub assembly lasted another 50,000 when traded it in on the 12' Terrain.  Things happen as they say.

10-14-14
Traded 12' Terrain, V6, SLE-2, AWD,  for a new 14' Acadia
SLT-1 w dual temp controls, heat/cool rear, and comfort ride on long trips.
sklauda

Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2014, 01:32:17 PM »

Mine are out at 48K miles.  GM really bugs me, and so does the dealer.  I had a van that had 3 sets replaced in 125K miles.  Bought a 2010 certified Terrain, had the dealer look at it once, they never noted they looked at them while it was under warranty.  Now they want 480.00 to replace 1.  I am considering never buying another GM.
rbarrios
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2014, 01:39:23 PM »

Could be the roads youre traveling on...
cause Ive never had to replace one

150,000 miles- 1996 Saturn
172,000 miles- 2003 Trailblazer
  70,000 miles- 2007 Impala
  76,000 miles- 2010 Traverse
  18,500 miles- 2013 Nox.

2013 Equinox  LT1 3.6L V6 FWD -   27,000
2010 Traverse LT1 3.6L V6 FWD -  84,000
2003 Trailblazer LS  4.2L I6 RWD- 173,000
hitchhiker11

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2014, 02:10:08 PM »

Now you guys are making  me wonder I have had a droning /roar in my nox since new ,It was shipped to texas than the dealer brought it up from texas on a trailer with tire tie downs on front tires ,maybe all that trailering cause the bearings to be rough in spots .the roaring does seem to getting worse  I now have a little over 10,000 miles.

2014srx premium ice white
Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2014, 02:48:19 PM »

Now you guys are making  me wonder I have had a droning /roar in my nox since new ,It was shipped to texas than the dealer brought it up from texas on a trailer with tire tie downs on front tires ,maybe all that trailering cause the bearings to be rough in spots .the roaring does seem to getting worse  I now have a little over 10,000 miles.

I thought that wheel bearing were an early suggestion by people as a cause of your noise.  If not, it certainly should have been.

Good luck - it would be nice if you can solve this mystery.

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: