EquinoxForum.net Bookmark and Share
September 16, 2014, 04:24:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum Tip: Click the little blue 'new' icon next to any topic to jump right to the first unread message.

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What oil to use  (Read 10704 times)
jackiek

Ignore
« on: March 17, 2012, 01:52:30 PM »

I am now approaching the 1,000 mile mark on my 2012 Equinox, I was told I would probably have to add some oil by the 2,000 mile mark and to keep an eye on the oil level once I hit 1,000 miles. What oil should I keep on hand when I need to add any oil, I am not talking about a complete oil change, just oil to keep the levels up. My oil changes will be handled by my dealer since he offers up to 4 free oil changes a year for the life of the car not to mention free state inspection/ emissions inspection for the life of the car and free brakes for life.

2012 1LT Equinox
Purchased 1/25/12
Remote Start
8 position power driver seat
Gold Mist Metallic
NODES

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 02:33:15 PM »

I would do an oil change, get rid of anything that might be in there from factory.
EquinoxFF1063

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 05:09:38 PM »

Gee that's some deal you got with your purchase ! You could just pick up a quart of the GM Dexos oil blend tey use at the dealerships, or just pick up a qt of Mobil 1 Syntheic (Dexos) at Walmart.

2012 Equinox 1LT FWD I4
GM Customer Svc
Theta Guru

Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 09:36:04 AM »

Hi Jackiek,

For detailed information about engine oil (when to change it, selecting the right engine oil, proper care, etc.), see the section beginning on page 10-10 of your owner's manual.  If you have any lingering questions after reading that, please feel free to DM me anytime.

Glad to see you're planning to go to your dealer for your oil changes! Your Equinox has a computer system that tells you when to change your engine oil (and filter), and when the system has calculated that oil life has been diminished it indicates an oil change is necessary by displaying a "CHANGE OIL SOON" message on your DIC. (Check out "Engine Oil Messages" on page 5-29 and "Engine Oil Life System" on page 10-12 of your owner's manual for more information.)

Best,

Katie, GM Customer Service
(Filling in for Tricia for a short time while she's away)

>>>>>> Please check out the new GM Owner Center at https://my.gm.com/ for more vehicle information!
Nationof4

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 12:33:48 PM »

I know that the 2011 models use a dexos blend of synthetic oil as standard. If you want to run the same type of oil as the factory fill just ask you dealer service rep for the dexos blend and you should be ok.  Just make sure that whatever you use be it full synthetic or combination synthetic meets the dexos specs.

Good luck with your new vehicle.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: