EquinoxForum.net Bookmark and Share
October 30, 2014, 10:27:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Download our new iPhone, Android & Blackberry App! more info

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TIMING CHAIN!!! 2.4 Liter 4 banger horror story...  (Read 54007 times)
eeks and knocks

Ignore
« on: April 05, 2012, 08:51:50 PM »

My wife and I purchased a 2010 Chevy Equinox 2.4 Liter 4 cyl brand new.   2 days ago she went in the shop to have her timing chain replaced as well as 8 valves that it destroyed in cylinders 1 & 2 as the service adviser stated @ just 22,000 miles.  The adviser said to us if it had done any more damage it would have just made sense to replace the engine in its entirety.  He is holding on to it for another day to run some follow up post op tests to make sure it's going to hold up and not give us any more issues.  At least in the short term.  Some important notes to hopefully help some of you out...

Our Equinox has always burned what is in my opinion as excessive oil.  We were adding 1 quart every 800-900 miles.... Crazy but the dealer told us this was normal... I just don't understand how 3 quarts of oil needed through the life of an oil change at 3 months 3,000 miles is normal.  Especially since my 2 other vehicles burn about 1/2 quart every 3,000 miles.  The other dealer we took it to that diagnosed our timing chain issues stated that it burned the extra oil due to an internal leak the timing chain failure caused.  Haven't had the vehicle back yet to tell you if this helps reduce the oil consumption or not but I will keep you all posted. 

Our engine started rattling at 21,000 miles.  At first we thought it was just due to the lower oil added 1 quart of oil after 1000 miles and rattle seemed to be reduced...  at 22,000 miles rattle came back, added oil but rattle stayed... We took our vehicle into our local dealer 5 minutes from where we live they held the car hostage for 2 days and claimed nothing was wrong with it. 

The next day, being pissed off & not accepting their answer I recorded a video of the rattle since they stated they couldn't find it and proceeded to another dealer the next town over...  I exclaimed that if they could not hear the noise I will kindly play back the video on my iphone that I recorded the day before.  The service man said "I already hear it" ...

Long story short just because your local dealer says its fine, don't take their word for it.  If its making noise that it didn't make when you bought it it means something is wrong.  Demand they run your vehicle next to one on their lot.  If you aren't satisfied take it somewhere else like we did and in all likelihood you might for from being told that "its just fine to you need to have your engine torn apart".  Record videos, do all that you can in your power to prove your issue and take care of yourself. 
Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 05:26:55 AM »

Long story short just because your local dealer says its fine, don't take their word for it.  If its making noise that it didn't make when you bought it it means something is wrong.  Demand they run your vehicle next to one on their lot.  If you aren't satisfied take it somewhere else like we did and in all likelihood you might for from being told that "its just fine to you need to have your engine torn apart".  Record videos, do all that you can in your power to prove your issue and take care of yourself. 

Great advice on all "problems".  I'm a firm believer in going into the dealer's lot, and asking them to compare your "problem" with another on the lot.  If it has the same "problem", then maybe "they all do that" , but otherwise, ask to have yours be just like the one on the lot !

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
GM Customer Svc
Theta Guru

Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 08:18:17 AM »

I noticed your post regarding this cocern on the other thread. I would like to look into this for you with more information. Please contact me privately for further assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

>>>>>> Please check out the new GM Owner Center at https://my.gm.com/ for more vehicle information!
chevy_2010_equinox

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 02:22:53 AM »

I haven't searched all the posts but this a common known problem. Chevrolet got a bad batch of timing chains that were not hardened properly, causing the chains to stretch...severely. I'm going through this issue right now, not fun.
Terrain Denali

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 04:50:32 AM »

1 quart of oil every 800-900 miles! Whoever told you that was normal is an idiot. It never ceases to amaze me what some dealers will tell a customer.

2013 Terrain Denali
V6 with 19" Satin Chrome Wheels
Crystal Red Metallic
Intellilink with Nav
Tow Package
chevy_2010_equinox

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 07:04:40 AM »

...and by the way, if any of you are having "pinging" issues, Chevy's remedy is to remove the top half; cylinder head and decarbonize the components. I would suggest having this done before the powertrain warranty runs out. I'm having this done as well...I don't think Chevy anticipated the damage the defective timing chains cause. I'm having these issues because of it: oil loss, rattling/pinging engine, loss of power, and bad MPG.
chevy_2010_equinox

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 05:19:26 PM »

Got the Equinox back today and was happy for about 5 minutes...took it for a test drive and it's pinging worse than when we took it in for the timing chains, what a let down. I have no respect for today's "mechanics"...I take it in for pinging and the "mechanic" takes it for his own test drive after the fix...WITH THE WINDOWS UP! I drove the guy around for 20 seconds and he told me he couldn't hear anything. My response..."no s**t sherlock". I rolled the windows down and drove next to a jersey wall...his response "oh". It really ticks me off that these guys tote the ASE certified patch...in what??? I don't care what anyone says, experience rules.
GM Customer Svc
Theta Guru

Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 10:17:52 AM »

Got the Equinox back today and was happy for about 5 minutes...took it for a test drive and it's pinging worse than when we took it in for the timing chains, what a let down. I have no respect for today's "mechanics"...I take it in for pinging and the "mechanic" takes it for his own test drive after the fix...WITH THE WINDOWS UP! I drove the guy around for 20 seconds and he told me he couldn't hear anything. My response..."no s**t sherlock". I rolled the windows down and drove next to a jersey wall...his response "oh". It really ticks me off that these guys tote the ASE certified patch...in what??? I don't care what anyone says, experience rules.

I would be happy to look into this for you as well. Please contact me with more information including the last eight of your VIN and dealer name. Thank you in advance.

>>>>>> Please check out the new GM Owner Center at https://my.gm.com/ for more vehicle information!
chevy_2010_equinox

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 02:42:43 AM »

Hi Tricia,

I'm giving them one more chance...and I do appreciate your contirbution, awesome. I have a feeling the suggestions I made in addition to the timing chains being replaced; decarbonizing and PCM re-program, may be taken seriously this time.
GM Customer Svc
Theta Guru

Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 10:03:18 AM »

Keep me posted on your progress and feel free to contact me if you need anything. Thank you again.

chevy_2010_equinox

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 01:01:09 PM »

Ok, all is well, service scoped the cylinders and there was normal carbon build up. So, the PCM was updated with a new timing map...and it runs like a new car again. Hope others that have their timing chains replaced mention these steps to resolve the pinging issues along with the timing chains, it will save everyone some time.
Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 03:07:32 PM »

... it will save everyone some time.

...and aggravation !

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
wtavcar

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 06:37:23 AM »

My 2010 I4 now has about 19,000 km (~ 11,500 mi). I have noticed a pinging once it has reached operating temperature. This only happens if I am gentle on the accelerator. I do mostly highway driving (30 mi each way to work every day.)

I cannot hear anything on the highway but with the window down doing stop-go in my neighbourhood you hear it. again only once it has wrmed up. If I understand all the comments on these threads I should bring it in? Buying SUPER is not an option. I have never had a car that pings. This is weird.

The strange part is it does not do it while it is warming up. The temp always stays the tick mark before half. Now with the warm weather it has gone up just a hair after the line. Nothing to write home about. It is most noticeable after a highway run that has some residential stop-go after it.

My only other theory is the gas I buy. We have a Costco gas bar and have been getting it there exclusively, for obvious reasons. could the 87 gas quality be in question? Could trying a different gas brand ficx it?

2010 Equinox 1LT FWD w/I4 2.4
RNOX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 11:13:26 AM »

I was coming out of church yesterday and a Terrian came into the parking lot.  It had the 2.4 and that sucker had really loud ticking (from the DI engine).  Mine was no where near that loud.  The people I was talking to thought someting was wrong with it.
Trumpster1

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 01:31:11 PM »

Hello fellow Equinox owners.

I just registered for this forum because my wife's '10 Equinox with 21k miles is in the shop right now getting a new timing chain.  I am running AMSOIL XL series oil in it and the dealership told me that by running the extended drain interval oil that it caused the chain to stretch.  Sorry, but I think this is crap.  A quick Google search will tell you that it's more than just extended drain intervals.  When they call me to tell me that it's "done" I will definitely be asking them if they did any other checks on the computer as I have also complained about a ticking sound, which they said was the injectors.  I don't recall it doing that when I first bought it, so why now?  It just doesn't make sense.

I will keep everyone updated on my situation as well.  Should hear something back in the next day or so (hopefully).

So far this looks like a great place to hang.  Hope to get to know you all more as time goes on (hopefully not because of negative situations like this).

Roll safe,
T1
teetertotter

Bought new 14' Acadia SLT-1 10-14-14. No Terrain

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2012, 03:39:36 AM »

Just like doctors, there are experienced mechanics, mediocre, and poor mechanics.  I am lucky as can shop around if required in 3 cities within 45 minutes or less for proper car service.  If a service department gives me some song and dance story or blow off, there is always the next guy that has the experience and knows what to do.  Just like anything else, there are dealerships and there are dealerships.  You can always find a GM dealership anywhere, for the most part.

We had an 07 Acadia and traded in for new 12 Terrain.  There were stretched timing chain issues with the Acadia and received a GM letter extending the warranty to 100K a month+ ago.  For the most part, factories today do not have incoming inspection before parts go into stock.  This is called "O" defects.   Their suppliers are supposed to check for quality before shipping.  This is standard in the industry these days.  No such thing as incoming parts inspection departments as cuts costs.  GM could have run a sample hardness test on the timing chains as each lot arrives from supplier to insure quality.  This is just an example how quality can get by. 

We are lucky there are competent certified mechanics at our local dealership.  The dealership recognizes competition in the area and insure they have very competent people all the way around.

10-14-14
Traded 12' Terrain, V6, SLE-2, AWD,  for a new 14' Acadia
SLT-1 w dual temp controls, heat/cool rear, and comfort ride on long trips.
GM Customer Svc
Theta Guru

Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 09:24:10 AM »

I would be happy to look into this for anyone with the concern. Feel free to contact me privately with more details and the last eight of your VIN for more assistance. Thank you.

grunkster

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 07:39:06 AM »

It's sad...i was warned about stretched timing chain issues with the last gen. equinox from a mechanic bud of mine when i was looking at my 11'....i told him "oh i'm sure they have remedied that on these new gen."....uggggghhhh....guess not!! Oh No
chevy_2010_equinox

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2012, 01:08:33 PM »

Hello fellow Equinox owners.

I just registered for this forum because my wife's '10 Equinox with 21k miles is in the shop right now getting a new timing chain.  I am running AMSOIL XL series oil in it and the dealership told me that by running the extended drain interval oil that it caused the chain to stretch.  Sorry, but I think this is crap.  A quick Google search will tell you that it's more than just extended drain intervals.  When they call me to tell me that it's "done" I will definitely be asking them if they did any other checks on the computer as I have also complained about a ticking sound, which they said was the injectors.  I don't recall it doing that when I first bought it, so why now?  It just doesn't make sense.

I will keep everyone updated on my situation as well.  Should hear something back in the next day or so (hopefully).

So far this looks like a great place to hang.  Hope to get to know you all more as time goes on (hopefully not because of negative situations like this).

Roll safe,
T1

A PCM re-flash should get rid of the ticking, it did mine. I don't know how, but I'm suspecting retarded timing. My engine purrs now but I'm still weary of longevity. The oil explanation is a crock of s***...at one time in my career, I was "ASE" certified and even then it was a joke, I can only imagine how it is these days. When I have to go to a dealer, I always ask for the most experienced mechanic. As we all know, experience rules, not a friggin certificate!!! LOL
BigPip

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2012, 01:45:24 PM »

I just purchased a 2010 Equinox a week ago with only 20,900 miles on it and I heard a rattle before we bought it but I knew we still had warranty left and purchased the extended warranty. I finally took it in today and the rattle was the chain. I was quite suprised that the chain would fail so quick! Reminded me of my old Saturn, that sound couldn't be mistaken!:facepalm:

I think I am more suprised to see how common this issue actually is with so few miles  on them. I purchased this car with confidence due to it had a timing chain, I didn't want to mess with that belt b.s.
Luckily Chevy took my car in without any push back and is fixing it without any issues but then again, I won't get my car back for a couple of days. My other reason for buying chevy is due to the lack of reliability for my 2 fords... one down, one to go! BeatingDeadHorse

But, then again, Ford knew there was a problem in the begining, they even circled it for you and attached it to the front of every car and truck for everyone to see.

2o1o EQUINOX - I4
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: