EquinoxForum.net Bookmark and Share
November 25, 2014, 10:13:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to TerrainForum, EquinoxForum & SRXForum! We're glad you found us!

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stubby Antenna  (Read 7152 times)
Beagleman

Ignore
« on: April 30, 2012, 09:18:23 AM »

Looking for a short antennna for a 2011 Equinox 2LT but got this messeage this morning for a stubby antenna for $24.95, home of the stubbyantennna.com.

We do not have antennas that would fit for your 2011 Chevrolet Equinox at this time. And please note our antennas are for FM/AM only, and would not function for satellite system or GPS.

Does anyone know of another one for my car that would work with Onstar and GPS?  I would be made at myself if I order something that doesn't work on my Equinox.  I just want a good antenna that I can go through a ride through car was and still have great reception.
ronwel

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 09:48:25 AM »

Try this website...they carry a short antenna for the Equinox:

http://www.cravenspeed.com/products/The-Stubby-Antenna.html
Beagleman

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 09:56:53 AM »

They only make one for the 2005-2006 Equinox so I am out of luck here.
bigb12359

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 11:39:31 AM »

hi ,

contact them with your application , very happy with product .

http://www.visualgarage.com/home.html

Cheers
ronwel

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 11:42:36 AM »

Cravenspeed makes the stubby antenna for 2010-2012 Equinox....are they just out of stock?  I have already ordered 2...one for my fathers 2011 and one for my 2012.

The antenna is only for FM and AM signals.  XM and Onstar are inside the base of the antenna.  if you want to verify this...just unscrew your antenna and see what you get.....
Beagleman

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 04:13:04 PM »

Does this mean that if you unscrew the antenna Onstar and GPS won't work?  Why are there a wire wrapped around the antenna then?
Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 04:33:38 PM »

Does this mean that if you unscrew the antenna Onstar and GPS won't work?  Why are there a wire wrapped around the antenna then?

I believe that the "stick" antenna in the rear of the vehicle is for AM/FM and there is another antenna below that or near the rear view mirror for the Nav and/or OnStar.

Oddly enough, I have read that the wire wrap around the stick antenna is to reduce vibration from wind on the stick.  Doesn't make sense to me, but that it what I have read a number of years ago.  Maybe it strengthens the rod without increasing the total rod diameter.  Maybe someone else can explain it better !

I just found this :

"And, finally tonight, in a segment we like to call ďWhyíd they do that, Iím going to attempt to explain why all car antennas are not alike. While many antennas are smooth, have you ever noticed how some others look like they have a wire wrapped around them, or have a spiral groove in them? You know what thatís for? Itís to cut down on wind noise and vibration. That spiral shape actually helps the antenna slice through the wind more easily, so itís quieter. When an antenna is mounted on the front fender, as the wind comes off it, that noise is actually directed right at the driver. These spiral-type antennas direct the noise off to the side of the car. And you know how automotive engineers test these antennas to see how quiet they are? They go outside and swish them around like swords!"

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
ronwel

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 08:30:42 PM »

Does this mean that if you unscrew the antenna Onstar and GPS won't work?  Why are there a wire wrapped around the antenna then?

No...the exact opposite.  If you unscrew the antenna (which is quite easy, as I've done it on my old 2010, may fathers 2011, and my new 2012), you still get XM radio and OnStar...and everything else except AM and FM.

The antenna is only for FM and AM radio, and you still can get some AM and FM reception, depending on where you are.

Why is there wire around the antenna? ...I found that out the hard way.

I tried to make my 2010 Equinox antenna shorter by bending it first with a heat gun. I found out after I bent it that it was not really bent...it was cracked. There is a fibreglass core in the middle of the antenna that will crack if you try and bend it. There is a thin copper wire that is wrapped around the fiberglass core...and it that copper wire that is acting as the antenna as it is attached to the screw...which goes into the base.  The winding of the wire allows for a greater length of wire, as well as allowing the air to move more smoothly over the antenna.

I ended up buying a second antenna and cut it a few inches short, then I put a black plastic cap on the top.

I routinely take off my antenna as I have a Thule cargo box that I put on the top of the Equinox.  The antenna is too long and gets in the way.  As well...some underground parking lots where I live are too low (6 foot clearance), so I used to take the longer antenna off before I went out.  I bought a second antenna, cut it short, and now I can clear the underground parking lots.

Don't worry, the antenna is easy to unscrew, and has little rubber teeth that keep it from unscrewing once you put it back on.

POLRCUB II
Theta Guru

POLRCUB II,,, Lovin' The '300 Club'

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 09:14:24 PM »

hi ,

contact them with your application , very happy with product .

http://www.visualgarage.com/home.html

Cheers

+ 2  thumbs up

POLRCUB,19"GM LF671's on 255's
Full load,SatNAV/Rear Ent.pkg./Lane assist/front cam collision/blind spot,
4pcWeatherTechs,Blendmount radar,white GM Guards,6KLED Int & LED Ext. 6KHID fogs & DRLs,VG Fin,custom 3M, purple trim & 28%tint, lowering spring kit
MY13 3.6L Denali
Farewell MY10, 11 & 12
POLRCUB II
Theta Guru

POLRCUB II,,, Lovin' The '300 Club'

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 09:20:38 PM »

I believe that the "stick" antenna in the rear of the vehicle is for AM/FM and there is another antenna below that or near the rear view mirror for the Nav and/or OnStar.

It's directly underneath the antenna, that's the 'hump' part RIT  Grin not by the rear view mirror

Oddly enough, I have read that the wire wrap around the stick antenna is to reduce vibration from wind on the stick.  Doesn't make sense to me, but that it what I have read a number of years ago.  Maybe it strengthens the rod without increasing the total rod diameter.  Maybe someone else can explain it better !

I just found this :

"And, finally tonight, in a segment we like to call ďWhyíd they do that, Iím going to attempt to explain why all car antennas are not alike. While many antennas are smooth, have you ever noticed how some others look like they have a wire wrapped around them, or have a spiral groove in them? You know what thatís for? Itís to cut down on wind noise and vibration. That spiral shape actually helps the antenna slice through the wind more easily, so itís quieter. When an antenna is mounted on the front fender, as the wind comes off it, that noise is actually directed right at the driver. These spiral-type antennas direct the noise off to the side of the car. And you know how automotive engineers test these antennas to see how quiet they are? They go outside and swish them around like swords!"

Thats exactly right,,, a smooth antenna can 'whistle' if the conditions are right.

POLRCUB,19"GM LF671's on 255's
Full load,SatNAV/Rear Ent.pkg./Lane assist/front cam collision/blind spot,
4pcWeatherTechs,Blendmount radar,white GM Guards,6KLED Int & LED Ext. 6KHID fogs & DRLs,VG Fin,custom 3M, purple trim & 28%tint, lowering spring kit
MY13 3.6L Denali
Farewell MY10, 11 & 12
NODES

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 11:23:10 PM »

What is that big black box underneath our rear view mirror? It is huge.
bigb12359

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 07:15:29 AM »

hi ,

remote door lock control reciever ,

Cheers
suprcharg

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 07:05:08 PM »

Thanks for the info about the sirius antenna being in the base!!
Toddman35

Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 07:22:20 PM »

hi ,

remote door lock control reciever ,

Cheers

Is that Really what that damn Big Box is?   Thats a hell of a place to mount that!   Wonder why not inside the dash?

2014 Equinox 2LT 4 cyl.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: