EquinoxForum.net Bookmark and Share
April 21, 2014, 02:35:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to TerrainForum, EquinoxForum & SRXForum! We're glad you found us!

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2010 leaking red fluid  (Read 2250 times)
Sidney08

Ignore
« on: May 28, 2012, 12:48:35 PM »

I have a 2010 Equinox, and it just started leaking a red/rust colored liquid.  The fluid is near the front of the vehicle.  I was doing some research, and it appears one option could be transmission fluid.  I plan on calling my dealer after the holiday weekend, but until I do, I am wondering if others have had this happen and what the source of the leak was?  My car seems to be functioning just fine...I haven't noticed any changes in engine sound, etc.  It's been warm lately so I've been using the air conditioner, so I don't know if it could be related or not.

Thanks for any responses!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 12:56:07 PM »

Red fluid from the front of the car could be anti-freeze. Check the coolant tank and see if it is low.
POLRCUB II
Theta Guru

POLRCUB II,,, Lovin' The '300 Club'

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 06:31:14 PM »

Dexcol antifreeze is pink, red would be transmission/transaxle fluid,,
Depending on how bad the leak is - just check your transmission level on dipstick periodically till you get to the Dealer.

POLRCUB,19"GM LF671's on 255's
Full load,SatNAV/Rear Ent.pkg./Lane assist/front cam collision/blind spot,
4pcWeatherTechs,Blendmount radar,white GMC Guards,6KLED Int & LED Ext. 6KHID fogs & DRLs,VG Fin,custom 3M, purple trim & 28%tint
3 Mini Dachshund's
MY13 3.6L Denali
Farewell MY10, 11 & 12
Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 07:09:26 PM »

Depending on how bad the leak is - just check your transmission level on dipstick periodically till you get to the Dealer.

Is there a dipstick for the tranny on these vehicles ?  I never saw one on my 4-cyl.

If there is one, it would make life easier,  You could suck out the fluid to change the fluid instead of splitting the case !

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
POLRCUB II
Theta Guru

POLRCUB II,,, Lovin' The '300 Club'

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 08:19:26 PM »

Is there a dipstick for the tranny on these vehicles ?  I never saw one on my 4-cyl.

If there is one, it would make life easier,  You could suck out the fluid to change the fluid instead of splitting the case !

I can't speak for the I4's, but the V6's with AWD have a fill cap ( very similar to the power steering cap and dipstick combo).Unfortunately to change the filter one would still have to split the case - but that's many many km's away.

POLRCUB,19"GM LF671's on 255's
Full load,SatNAV/Rear Ent.pkg./Lane assist/front cam collision/blind spot,
4pcWeatherTechs,Blendmount radar,white GMC Guards,6KLED Int & LED Ext. 6KHID fogs & DRLs,VG Fin,custom 3M, purple trim & 28%tint
3 Mini Dachshund's
MY13 3.6L Denali
Farewell MY10, 11 & 12
Mochaman

Mochaman Mochaman

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 09:36:42 AM »

Actually when it is on my garage floor it looks sorta rust colored or at least it did leaking from my wife's G6 head seeping.

2012 Mocha SLE2
  Chrome Enhancements package
    Grille
    Door Handles
    Wheel Skins
    Center Hub Caps
    Mirror Covers
  AVS in channel Window Vents
  Tinted front windows
  Added BTV remote start function
1998 Pewter C5 Corvette
bowtieman
Global Moderator
Theta Freak

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 11:24:05 AM »

On my older trucks to figure out what was leaking I would place a few pieces of white paper on we're I would think its leaking so I could see the color and smell what it was. Dex cool coolant is orange almost rust color and it smells kinda sweet.

Born 7/2011 Purchased this 2012 1LT I-4 on 9/25/11
Black Granite Metallic, Jet Black Interior
How to Video's on my install of:Chrome Handles, Chrome Roof Rails & Fog lights, Air filters. Located within General How To section
Drive with my hands not my feet !!
GM Customer Svc
Theta Guru

Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 12:18:42 PM »

Let me know how it goes at the dealer. Feel free to contact me if you need more assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

>>>>>> Please check out the new GM Owner Center at https://my.gm.com/ for more vehicle information!
flip_high_up

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 12:13:32 PM »

Is theIr a dipstick for the transmission on four cylinder cause I can't find anything the only thing I see is coolant level in the reservoir washer fluid reservoir  ... Oil dipstick .... And some of plug to the right of the block I will take a picture of it later it has a gear on it and that's it don't know wierd to me let me know guys if there is a dipstick
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: