EquinoxForum.net Bookmark and Share
December 20, 2014, 08:15:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Download our new iPhone, Android & Blackberry App! more info

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Differential Fluid Change  (Read 7882 times)
jessb_55

Ignore
« on: October 24, 2012, 08:59:47 PM »

So word is that I should have a diff fluid change around 50k. I have a 2006, and had the transmission flushed around 50k but nothing done to the differential. i'm assuming that's a separate flush? Also is this something I can do myself? And last how do I even check the level of it, do I open the filler plug to see where it's at?

thanks in advance!
POLRCUB II
Theta Guru

POLRCUB II,,, Lovin' The '300 Club'

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 09:04:35 PM »

We would need more info please to help you out.

2006 what?,  FWD, AWD, RWD etc

Word from what? Your manual? If so, what does your manual say for recommended milage.

POLRCUB,19"GM LF671's on 255's
Full load,SatNAV/Rear Ent.pkg./Lane assist/front cam collision/blind spot,
4pcWeatherTechs,Blendmount radar,white GM Guards,6KLED Int & LED Ext. 6KHID fogs & DRLs,VG Fin,custom 3M, purple trim & 28%tint, lowering spring kit
MY13 3.6L Denali
Farewell MY10, 11 & 12
jessb_55

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 09:12:06 PM »

oh sorry about that, it's a 2006 Equinox AWD. I actually couldn't find anything in my owner's manual for mileage or oil type. And a guy on this forum earlier, mentioned he thought it may be 60k.
POLRCUB II
Theta Guru

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 09:33:37 PM »

AWD will have a rear differential yes, and it will have a seperate drain and fill plug (so you can check the level from here, the fill plug)

Pretty straight forward, just drain (90 weight oil is very thick so the warmer the differential temp. the better) and then fill right up to the fill plug.

I'd check with your dealer tech (mechanic) if a diff additive is required for your specific vehicle. Some do some don't.

Manual doesn't indicate anything? Even under the Specifications page? Recommended milage should be under the Maintenance section? No?

If not, your GM dealer parts counter will know what type and how much approx. it will take to fill so that you have enough. Usually sold in 1 quart bottles or 1 gal jugs depending on the dealer.    

Service Dept. can tell you what GM recommended milage service is.

4pcWeatherTechs,Blendmount radar,white GM Guards,6KLED Int & LED Ext. 6KHID fogs & DRLs,VG Fin,custom 3M, purple trim & 28%tint, lowering spring kit
MY13 3.6L Denali
Farewell MY10, 11 & 12
jessb_55

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 06:22:24 PM »

So when I go to change the differential I just drain it, then fill it til it starts to come out the fill hole? And use GM's Versatrak? Can I only get this at the Stealership? Also, don't judge but do I also have a transfercase to worry about changing too?

Also, is there a way to check the transmission fluid on these, as I believe they're isn't a dipstick under th hood anywhere I can find.

THANK YOU....
POLRCUB II
Theta Guru

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 10:17:05 PM »

So when I go to change the differential I just drain it, then fill it til it starts to come out the fill hole?
And use GM's Versatrak?
Yes, yes and if that is what your manual or what GM says to put in it, then yes.

Can I only get this at the Stealership?
No, you don't have to, I do, but any parts outlet that sells AC Delco will most likely have it, not sure what there is in the US though.

Also, don't judge but do I also have a transfercase to worry about changing too?
I stand corrected, yes on AWD's only, the front drive axles are incorporated into the transmission hence calling it the transaxle, and yes there is transmission 'transaxle' dipstick. If you look directly down between the left side of the battery and the right side of the engine cover - you'll see the black notched looking cap.. This view is while standing from in front of the vehicle.

Also, is there a way to check the transmission fluid on these, as I believe they're isn't a dipstick under th hood anywhere I can find.

THANK YOU....

MY13 3.6L Denali
Farewell MY10, 11 & 12
Terra-Nox

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 05:05:37 AM »

Hhmm If it does indeed use Versatrak fluid I wouldn't be in a rush to change it early (Word on the street versus suggested change interval) unless you suspect issues with it (when you see the price and amount you will need, you might agree).  There also should be a transfer case (versatrak fluid again) in the front as well as the rear drive module.  I believe the procedure for the rear drive module may be more then simple drain and re-fill, maybe drain re-fill, drive going around corner left and right to get fluid sloshed into far places, then re-check/fill.

I think the 'sticker price' for the fluid was something like $30 the last time I looked, for a pint.  Best price I found was from a dealer in AZ that does online business and had no additional shipping/ handling fees.

2012 AWD V6  Equinox  Merlot/Titanium SLT2
POLRCUB II
Theta Guru

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 12:32:39 PM »

Hhmm If it does indeed use Versatrak fluid I wouldn't be in a rush to change it early (Word on the street versus suggested change interval) unless you suspect issues with it (when you see the price and amount you will need, you might agree).  
No, just 80w90 weight, in AC Delco is simply called Synthetic axle lubricant for the rear diff. ($8-9/pint)I've never heard of Versatrak. But the transfer case takes a different lubricant than the rear diff. so don't use the same oil. Versatrak for the transfer case if that is what jessb_55 has sourced out..
There also should be a transfer case (versatrak fluid again) in the front as well as the rear drive module.  I believe the procedure for the rear drive module may be more then simple drain and re-fill, maybe drain re-fill, drive going around corner left and right to get fluid sloshed into far places, then re-check/fill.
That is all the Tech's do, drain and fill, the warmer the diff the better as the oil viscosity is very thick, so there would be little sloshing back and forth as engine oil would do. JMO.

I think the 'sticker price' for the fluid was something like $30 the last time I looked, for a pint.  Best price I found was from a dealer in AZ that does online business and had no additional shipping/ handling fees.

MY13 3.6L Denali
Farewell MY10, 11 & 12
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: