EquinoxForum.net Bookmark and Share
August 22, 2014, 10:41:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum Tip: Click the little blue 'new' icon next to any topic to jump right to the first unread message.

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012 Terrain Recall : Oil Life Monitoring System  (Read 49771 times)
humidex

Ignore
« on: February 06, 2013, 05:28:14 PM »

got notice today there is a recall have to bring it in and leave it with them for over an hour
Default User

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 05:35:15 PM »

Interesting.  Wonder if they are going to disable (or lock) the reset option, as that  can screw some people up.

Thanks
- Eric

SCBEARSFAN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 07:38:09 PM »

I'm assuming that this also affects Noxs. Is it for both the I4s and V6s.

2012 Equinox 2LT
FWD V-6, SunRoof
Leather Seats
Twilight Blue
rbarrios
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 08:48:07 PM »

Could you type up what the letter says?

This is interesting-- as it was done on the 2009 Traverse,Enclave,Acadias.
Essentially recalibrate the OLM as those vehicles were having timing chain issues.

On my 2013 V6- Ive been watching my OLM-- and it appears its at a pace to hit 0%  around 6000 miles.
Though ill be changing oil at 4500 or 5000 miles and getting a UOA.

2013 Equinox  LT1 3.6L V6 FWD -   23,000
2010 Traverse LT1 3.6L V6 FWD -  80,000
2003 Trailblazer LS  4.2L I6 RWD- 173,000
austin

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 09:13:41 PM »

I'm with rbarrios, please type it up as I have not received this. Also what engine do you have? I wonder what it is because I feel like my OLM is pretty spot on...usually change at 65-7000 miles...

Sent from my bragging iPhone using an app that encourages it.

Black 2012 FWD 3.0L V6 1LT
Drivers convenience package
Pioneer sound system
tinman080

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 03:03:54 AM »

Change your oil by mileage, not by a monitoring system. Just because oil can be used for 6500-7500 miles doesn't mean it should. Clean oil is the secret to engine longevity. I've always changed my oil at 3000 miles, since 1988 I've put 1,100,000 miles on my GM vehicles- NO internal engine repairs whatsoever. This is with conventional Pennzoil 10W30. With the new Dexos blend I may go 4000 miles between changes on my Terrain, I'll have to eyeball the oil at different mileage intervals before I decide. My 2 cents worth.

2012 SLT 4 fwd last 12 on lot
Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 06:32:28 AM »

...   I'll have to eyeball the oil at different mileage intervals before I decide. My 2 cents worth.

Sounds like you have very educated eyeballs to be able to perform a Used Oil Analysis by merely looking at the dipstick.  You may want to start a business with your "talents".

Sorry for being a bit wise, but merely looking at oil does not tell you very much about its life.  With the DI engines, oil is more critical that your it has been in your past experience with non DI engines.  Also, 10W30 is not a recommended oil for these engines.

Finally, GM has spent tons of money to develop the algorithms in calculating the oil-life remaining in the OLM systems, so they "should" be accurate - "should" !

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
wkeatonjr

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 06:40:47 AM »

I can't find any info on this recall anywhere. I am interested in reading this letter as well.

--
2014 GMC Terrain SLE-2, I4,FWD, Onyx Black, Convience Package, Chrome Package, Cargo Package
Default User

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 07:06:24 AM »

This is all I can find - but not sure if it applies to Canada AND the US

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/VRDB-BDRV/SEARCH/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&mk=3231!5001!4860!5620!11122!4802!1899&md=TERRAIN&fy=0&ty=9999&ft=&ls=0&sy=0

Recall Number   Recall Date   Make   Model                       System           Model Year(s) Affected
2010446        2010/12/16   GMC   TERRAIN           Seats And Restraints   2011
2009363          2009/12/21   GMC   TERRAIN           Heater And Defroster   2010
2009355        2009/12/17   GMC   TERRAIN           Electrical                   2010

Recall Number   Recall Date   Make   Model                       System           Model Year(s) Affected
2010446        2010/12/16   CHEVROLET   EQUINOX   Seats And Restraints   2011
2009363        2009/12/21   CHEVROLET   EQUINOX   Heater And Defroster   2010
2009355       2009/12/17   CHEVROLET   EQUINOX   Electrical                   2010

GM Customer Svc
Theta Guru

Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 07:55:53 AM »

humidex,
I can also check recalls for you with the last eight of your VIN. Contact me privately for more assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

>>>>>> Please check out the new GM Owner Center at https://my.gm.com/ for more vehicle information!
ls973800

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 09:06:33 AM »

Finally, GM has spent tons of money to develop the algorithms in calculating the oil-life remaining in the OLM systems, so they "should" be accurate - "should" !

You are exactly right, should!  That's the reason they had to recall the Enclave, Acadia, Outlook, and other models because of the false readings from the oil life monitor.  They were set for too long of an interval leading to timing chain wear and defects.  GM had a recall to reset the monitors and most drivers who had it done saw the life of their oil monitor cut in half.  What used to go to zero at 10000 miles now went to zero at 5000 miles.

I don't use the monitor in either of our cars.  I change the oil and filter every 5000 miles.  I don't need no stinkin monitor!   Grin
CFRTim

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 09:10:01 AM »

Change your oil by mileage, not by a monitoring system. Just because oil can be used for 6500-7500 miles doesn't mean it should. Clean oil is the secret to engine longevity. I've always changed my oil at 3000 miles, since 1988 I've put 1,100,000 miles on my GM vehicles- NO internal engine repairs whatsoever. This is with conventional Pennzoil 10W30. With the new Dexos blend I may go 4000 miles between changes on my Terrain, I'll have to eyeball the oil at different mileage intervals before I decide. My 2 cents worth.

Incorrect. Change your oil depending on driving conditions and habits . If you drive highway, city, dusty conditions, extreme temperatures (hot or cold), towing, etc...
That's where a real OLM should come into play. Unfortunately, even today, many cars use a system that only clocks milage.
rbarrios
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 09:11:10 AM »

I will add--- that the OLM in the Trailblazers is very accurate.
Running Valvoline Dino oil 5W-30... Doing OLM oil changes- at intervals between 10,500 to 11,500 miles-- the engine is still running happy nearing 170,000.
ANd passes CA smog checks easily.

ls973800

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 09:23:28 AM »

I will add--- that the OLM in the Trailblazers is very accurate.
Running Valvoline Dino oil 5W-30... Doing OLM oil changes- at intervals between 10,500 to 11,500 miles-- the engine is still running happy nearing 170,000.
ANd passes CA smog checks easily.

I will also add, lucky you, that you are in a very ideal climate for running an automobile.  Compared to many who have temps in the negative zero range, heat in the 105+ range, many with dusty conditions year round, road salts,  etc.

You also maintain your vehicles to a high degree, and the results show up in the longevity of your rides.  I really believe that is one reason many imports last (or seem to last) longer.  Have you ever looked at their maintenance schedules compared to GM or Ford?  My wife's Acura  MDX calls for regular fluid changes (transfer case, differential, power steering, brakes, transmission) at a rate of about needing 2 or 3 for every one a GM vehicle would call for.

Yet the OLM so far is allowing her to drive 10000 miles or so before an oil change.  Not going to happen!  5000 miles is my limit.
hyperv6
Theta Freak

hyperv6 hyperv6

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 03:12:21 PM »

Please post as I could not find it on our system at work. 

Yes the system works well and can be followed with no issues in most cases. Now there are always exceptions like if you are very dirty environments or have had an engine issue.

People who change it at 3000 are doing what is worst case and that is seldom seen in 99% of the cars on the road. Todays engines are much better and the oils can take so much more that 6,000-9,000 will not hurt a thing. Hell back in the day I saw many a car go hundreds of thousands of miles and never have a change under 20,000 miles. One guy changed oil at 70,000 for the first time and that engine went well over 200,000 miles. Not that I would recommend going that long! But generally you are well in the range with the oil life meters.

Also if you are using synthetic oils this only adds to the durability and life.

The key is to be educated and informed on todays cars. Too many people treat their cars like they did 25 years ago and in some cases it just hurts their wallets by over doing something or hurting their wallets by not doing something the way it calls for today. Things in some areas need more attention or better detail when being services. Areas like brakes. It is not just slap a set of pads on anymore.
Phantm006

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 04:20:46 PM »

Just got the phone call for this. I hope they change the oil also just to be safe. Maybe they can fix my window while they're at it.

GMC Terrain SLE2- Cyber Gray Metallic
 2.4, Sunroof, 18" Brushed Aluminum Wheels
Heated Seats, Remote Start
Chrome Package
rbarrios
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 04:25:42 PM »

Just got the phone call for this. I hope they change the oil also just to be safe. Maybe they can fix my window while they're at it.

Mind filling us in on what they said?

Phantm006

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 04:33:55 PM »

Mind filling us in on what they said?
Sure. She basically said that the OLM system has been inaccurate on the reading of oil life. That have to do a recalibration. I asked that if they find that my engine has been damaged in some way that would relate to the OLM not properly reading  how would they go about handling it. She said that they would do an analysis on the oil if a negative effect had been found. That essentially it. I have an appt. for Saturday at Carl Black of Roswell.

GMC Terrain SLE2- Cyber Gray Metallic
 2.4, Sunroof, 18" Brushed Aluminum Wheels
Heated Seats, Remote Start
Chrome Package
Default User

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 04:36:52 PM »

Oooihhhh - I'm due for an oil change soon too.  Hopefully I save myself from the $100+ service

Thanks
- Eric

richardh

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2013, 04:44:35 PM »

#12312: Customer Satisfaction - Oil Life Monitor Update - (Feb 5, 2013)

Subject:

12312 — Oil Life Monitor Update

Models:

2010-2011 Buick LaCrosse

2011-2012 Buick Regal

2010-2012 Chevrolet Equinox

2010-2012 GMC Terrain

Equipped with 2.4L Engine (LAF/LEA)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**********THIS PROGRAM IS IN EFFECT UNTIL FEBRUARY 28, 2015.**********

Condition

GM recently introduced into production a software update for the oil life monitor system. This new software will enhance the way the engine oil is monitored. In most cases, this update will recommend more frequent oil changes.

GM is offering to update certain 2010-2011 model year Buick LaCrosse, 2011-2012 model year Buick Regal, and 2010-2012 model year Chevrolet Equinox, and GMC Terrain vehicles, equipped with a 2.4L engine (LAF/LEA), that were built before the production change.

Correction

Dealers are to reprogram the engine control module.

Vehicles Involved

All involved vehicles are identified by Vehicle Identification Number on the Investigate Vehicle History screen in GM Global Warranty Management system. Dealership service personnel should always check this site to confirm vehicle involvement prior to beginning any required inspections and/or repairs. It is important to routinely use this tool to verify eligibility because not all similar vehicles may be involved regardless of description or option content.

For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles containing the complete vehicle identification number, customer name, and address information has been prepared and will be provided to US and Canadian dealers through the GM GlobalConnect Recall Reports, or sent directly to export dealers. Dealers will not have a report available if they have no involved vehicles currently assigned.

The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than follow-up necessary to complete this program is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the follow-up necessary to complete this program.

Parts Information

No parts are required for this program.

Service Procedure

Engine Control Module Programming

Do not attempt to order the calibration number from GM Customer Care and Aftersales. The calibration numbers required for this service procedure are programmed into control modules via a Multiple Diagnostic Interface (MDI) and TIS2WEB with the calibration update. When using a MDI for reprogramming, ensure that it is updated with the latest software version. Use TIS2WEB on or after 2/6/13 to obtain the calibration. If you cannot access the calibration, call the Techline Customer Support Center and it will be provided.

For step-by-step programming instructions, please refer to SI and the Techline Information System (TIS) terminal.

Capture and record Engine Oil Life information. Write down remaining oil life as a percentage.

Verify that there is a battery charge of 12 to 15 volts. The battery must be able to maintain a charge during programming. Only use an approved Midtronics® PSC 550 Battery Maintainer (SPS Programming Support Tool EL-49642) or equivalent to maintain proper battery voltage during programming.

Note: If a programming failure occurs, refer to Engine Control Module Recovery Steps in this bulletin.

Reprogram the engine control module (ECM). Refer to SI and Service Programming System (SPS) documentation for programming instructions, if required.

Connect the MDI to the vehicle. If using MDI, connect to programming terminal with the cable (USB or LAN).

Select J2534 MDI and Reprogram ECU from the Select Diagnostic Tool and Programming Process screen.

Select ECM Engine Control Module—Programming from the Supported Controllers screen.

Follow the on-screen instructions.

Clear all DTCs.

Use a scan tool to reset the Engine Oil Life Remaining back to the original percentage recorded before completing the programming event.

Engine Control Module Recovery Steps

Disconnect the programming device.

Power down the control modules connected to the GMLAN bus by disconnecting the positive battery cable for 2 minutes.

Reconnect the positive battery cable.

Using MDI, connect to the programming station or Notebook using a cable (LAN).

Reboot the programming station or Notebook. This is to make sure nothing is in memory.

Note: Selecting Replace and Reprogram from the Select Diagnostic Tool and Process Screen is REQUIRED because some of the calibrations may be erased from the initial attempt to reprogram the module.

Reprogram the engine control module. Select Replace and Reprogram from the Select Diagnostic Tool and Process Screen.

Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the programming event.

Clear all DTCs.

Note: Repeat Steps 1-8 above IF another programming failure occurs. If the second attempt to reprogram is unsuccessful when following the Steps 1-8 above, then contact Techline Customer Support Center.

Courtesy Transportation – For US and Canada

The General Motors Courtesy Transportation program is intended to minimize customer inconvenience when a vehicle requires a repair that is covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranties. The availability of courtesy transportation to customers whose vehicles are within the warranty coverage period and involved in a product program is very important in maintaining customer satisfaction. Dealers are to ensure that these customers understand that shuttle service or some other form of courtesy transportation is available and will be provided at no charge. Dealers should refer to the General Motors Service Policies and Procedures Manual for Courtesy Transportation guidelines.

Warranty Transaction Information

Submit a transaction using the table below.

Labor Code

Description

Labor Time

V2744

Reprogram ECM

Customer Notification – For US and Canada

General Motors will notify customers of this program on their vehicle (see copy of customer letter included with this bulletin).

Customer Notification – For Export

Letters will be sent to known owners of record located within areas covered by the US National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. For owners outside these areas, dealers should notify customers using the attached sample letter.

Dealer Program Responsibility

All unsold new vehicles in dealers' possession and subject to this program must be held and inspected/repaired per the service procedure of this program bulletin before customers take possession of these vehicles.

Dealers are to service all vehicles subject to this program at no charge to customers, regardless of mileage, age of vehicle, or ownership, through February 28, 2015.

Customers who have recently purchased vehicles sold from your vehicle inventory, and for which there is no customer information indicated on the involved vehicle listing, are to be contacted by the dealer. Arrangements are to be made to make the required correction according to the instructions contained in this bulletin. A copy of the customer letter is provided in this bulletin for your use in contacting customers. Program follow-up cards should not be used for this purpose, since the customer may not as yet have received the notification letter.

In summary, whenever a vehicle subject to this program enters your vehicle inventory, or is in your facility for service through February 28, 2015, you must take the steps necessary to be sure the program correction has been made before selling or releasing the vehicle.
  
Dear General Motors Customer:

This letter is sent to inform you that General Motors is conducting a customer satisfaction program that affects your 2010-2011 model year Buick LaCrosse, 2011-2012 model year Buick Regal, or 2010-2012 model year Chevrolet Equinox or GMC Terrain, equipped with a 2.4L engine.

GM recently introduced into production a software update for the oil life monitor system. This new software will enhance the way the engine oil is monitored. In most cases, this update will recommend more frequent oil changes to support engine durability and overall operating costs.

At no-charge, your GM dealer will update your vehicle with these same improvements.

What We Will Do: Your GM dealer will reprogram the engine control module. This service will be performed for you at no charge until February 28, 2015.

What You Should Do: To limit any possible inconvenience, we recommend that you contact your dealer as soon as possible to schedule an appointment for this update.

As a reminder, to ensure proper engine performance and long life, careful attention must be paid to the engine oil. A lack of proper engine oil maintenance can damage the engine. Following these simple, but important steps, will help protect your engine.

Always use the engine oil approved to the proper specification and of the proper viscosity grade that is in your Owner Manual.

Check the engine oil level regularly and maintain the proper oil level. It is a good idea to check the engine oil level at each fuel fill.

Change the engine oil at the appropriate time.

2013 Summit White Terrain
2012 White Diamond 1LT
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: