EquinoxForum.net Bookmark and Share
October 24, 2014, 11:58:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to TerrainForum, EquinoxForum & SRXForum! We're glad you found us!

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Wax/Polish?  (Read 86046 times)
mnussbaum

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2011, 11:12:03 AM »

I've done that, and honestly it's hard to tell.  You have to do a before and after to really compare. 

This past fall I washed my '06 Mazda3 and did that test, it felt pretty smooth to me.  Then I clay barred it with the Meguier's kit and the difference was shocking.  The bar ended up only a little dirty but the paint was MUCH smoother, and shinier and cleaner.  Then I waxed it and couldn't believe how smooth it felt.  Here we are about 5 months later and I can still tell.

Mike
2011 Chevy Equinox | 1LT | FWD | 4 cyl | Twilight Blue | Jet Black, Light Titanium | Driver's Convenience Pkg | Cargo Mgmt Pkg
reako

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2011, 07:54:33 PM »

I should have added that I think they may be shipped with paper or plastic stuff stuck on most body parts, can't be sure on that though. Try running your hand over clean paint and see if you feel any roughness.

When I took delivery there were a couple areas on the outside where you could tell that a thin white plastic material was used to cover some areas.  There were remnants of this in a couple crevices. Will still probably clay bar mine though just for fun, I have a kit around here somewhere I used in the past on my other vehicle.

2011 Nox 1LT 2.4L Mocha
Driver Convenience
robterrain

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2011, 11:51:40 AM »

Any opinions on Turtle Waxs?
GARYD
Theta Freak

USMC 3RD TANK BATT. VIETNAM 1965-1966

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2011, 03:21:25 PM »

I don't see any problem with their wax, I love their chrome polish.
I also like NuFinish Polish. I usually buy what's on sale.
I prefer liquid vs paste.
Just bought some ICE ... heard a lot of good things about it so I thought I will try it this summer.

2010 Terrain SLT-2
AWD, 6CYL. Onyx Black
Every Conceivable option
2010 Harley Ultra Limited
4sight

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2011, 05:49:33 AM »

As RnB mentioned earlier, Zaino is a killer product. If you put the time into the first application, every time after that is a breeze.
It goes on and comes off with zero effort. No dry powder residue or anything. And it will last up to a year per application. It's the only product I used on my Mercedes. I highly recommend it.

http://www.zainostore.com/

2011 Cyber Gray Terrain SLT-1 I-4 FWD
GARYD
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2011, 06:49:31 AM »

MotorWeek just did an episode on Gus's garage on wax. The expert said to use both a polish and a wax. A polish is meant only to bring out the shine and the wax is to protect it. Neither one is any good by itself.
All these years I've either used wax or polish, neither together. You learn something new all the time.  Grin

2010 Terrain SLT-2
AWD, 6CYL. Onyx Black
Every Conceivable option
wbassnp007

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2011, 09:17:26 AM »

MotorWeek just did an episode on Gus's garage on wax. The expert said to use both a polish and a wax. A polish is meant only to bring out the shine and the wax is to protect it. Neither one is any good by itself.
All these years I've either used wax or polish, neither together. You learn something new all the time.  Grin

Hello, thank you for your post.

Ideally: Wash, Clay, Wash (optional), Polish, then glaze, Wax, then use a finish spray. Perfect showroom lasting shine!

Empirical evidence noted. Worked for me. Products used do matter.

2011 Terrain, Carbon Black Metallic
SLT2, 4 Cyl.,FWD, 18" Machined Aluminum Wheels
Rear Seat Entertainment, Navigation, Brownstone Leather
GARYD
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2011, 09:25:12 AM »

I have too many other things going on to do all those steps. I never have clayed any car and don't ever intend to. I just wash the car and either wax or polish...not both. As soon as I see a chip, I touch it up. Never had a rust problem or badly faded paint.
I did all that work on my Vettes for shows. Those days are long gone. They were fun when I was young.
Now I just get in the car and drive from point A to point B.

2010 Terrain SLT-2
AWD, 6CYL. Onyx Black
Every Conceivable option
wbassnp007

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2011, 09:27:54 AM »

I have too many other things going on to do all those steps. I never have clayed any car and don't ever intend to. I just wash the car and either wax or polish...not both. As soon as I see a chip, I touch it up. Never had a rust problem or badly faded paint.
I did all that work on my Vettes for shows. Those days are long gone. They were fun when I was young.
Now I just get in the car and drive from point A to point B.
  When my brother saw the Terrain he stated: "It looks like a tank!" Pardon my off topic remark please.

2011 Terrain, Carbon Black Metallic
SLT2, 4 Cyl.,FWD, 18" Machined Aluminum Wheels
Rear Seat Entertainment, Navigation, Brownstone Leather
k9kuz

Corvette Cruisers of Illinois

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2011, 06:45:04 PM »

I use Meguires NXT 2.0 liquid with great results.  It is one of the prefered waxes that people on the Corvette Forumn use (Other prefered waxes on this forumn are Zaino and Rejex). 
I'm now using NXT 2.0 and find it quite amazing. Easy on, easy off, and seems to last a long time. Note that Zaino and Rejex are not waxes, they are paint sealants; and, for the best look should have a wax over them.

2011 Equinox 2LT V6 AWD with 2-way VHF/UHF radio.
Z_Ghost

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2011, 07:12:54 PM »

I'm now using NXT 2.0 and find it quite amazing. Easy on, easy off, and seems to last a long time. Note that Zaino and Rejex are not waxes, they are paint sealants; and, for the best look should have a wax over them.

I started using that myself and it is really great stuff.
I do not have the time to wash and wax my car like I would like and seem to get at least 5 washes before I need to reapply the NTX 2.0

It even fixed a dvd that would not rip because it was scratched up to much.
1 application and the dvd ripped just fine, even played better then it has in a long time. Old dvd.

2011 Terrain SLT2 Carbon Black Brownstone Nav I4 FWD

92 Z/28 Camaro
92 B4C Camaro
I live in Texas-But my Heart lives in Yellowstone
Barry

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2011, 09:57:47 AM »

My buddy was saying if a car has new factory paint or if it's 3 years old, he would never place wax on a car.  He said paint always needs to breath regardless of the cars age.

Yesterday, my wife picked up some Turtle Wax Ice Synthetic Liquid Polish. She knows how meticulous I am.  Not sure if I'm going to use it or not.

I just have to comment here...
There are millions of "new" cars every year, year after year out there.  There are millions of them being waxed every day.  Have you EVER seen a new or relativelly new car with cracked paint??  due to being waxed??  There is a difference between polishes and waxes and MANY different types of each.  Polishes are used to clean the paint, remove minor swirls and waxes are applied on top of polishes to protect the finish longer.  If it were factualy true that waxes prevented paint from breathing and it would crack, companies like Meguiars, 3M and hundreds of others would have been sued out of business years ago.  Most of todays cars have clear coat sprayed/cured over the paint so it is "sealed"  Older single stage paint, non clear coated, can dry out and there are polishes with oils to prevent that. Wax acts as a sacrificial barrier against sun, acid rain and other issues.  The wax degrades so the paint does not.
Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2011, 10:04:25 AM »

I just have to comment here...
There are millions of "new" cars every year, year after year out there.  There are millions of them being waxed every day.  Have you EVER seen a new or relativelly new car with cracked paint??  due to being waxed??  There is a difference between polishes and waxes and MANY different types of each.  Polishes are used to clean the paint, remove minor swirls and waxes are applied on top of polishes to protect the finish longer.  If it were factualy true that waxes prevented paint from breathing and it would crack, companies like Meguiars, 3M and hundreds of others would have been sued out of business years ago.  Most of todays cars have clear coat sprayed/cured over the paint so it is "sealed"  Older single stage paint, non clear coated, can dry out and there are polishes with oils to prevent that. Wax acts as a sacrificial barrier against sun, acid rain and other issues.  The wax degrades so the paint does not.

Excellent response.  I always felt that it was the "lazy" people that used the argument about paint needing to breathe.  Give me a break !!!

Personally, I find it relaxing and rewarding to wax my cars.  I have so many layer of wax on my vehicles, that every few years I have to widen my garage door so that they will still fit into the garage !!!  LOL

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
GARYD
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2011, 11:38:03 AM »

Clear coat is also a paint, just without pigments. treat it the same as paint - nothing special.
I've heard the saying about letting the paint breath also for many years. How about some paint shop owners chimming in so we hear it from the experts.
When they talk about letting it breath I think they are refering to letting the paint cure completely not about  paint cracking.
The couple times I've had accidents the body shop told me not to wax the car for a month or so to let the paint completely cure. That's just my experience on the subject.

2010 Terrain SLT-2
AWD, 6CYL. Onyx Black
Every Conceivable option
IceMan
Global Moderator

« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2011, 12:26:46 PM »

New car factory paint is baked on at high temp these days....and can be waxed immediately. I think some of us are getting confused with 'what used to be'..with 'what is now'...
  My dealer body shop also has a high temp baking process for paint repair when possible.

Scroll down...
   http://www.meguiars.com/faq/index.cfm?faqCat=paint+care&faqQuestionID=54&section=_54

2011 Equinox LTZ 2.4L FWD
Silver Ice Metallic/Jet Blk lthr
17" wheels
Premium Sound System
 Built 1st week in Aug..arrived Aug 23,2010
GARYD
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2011, 02:10:27 PM »

IceMan, paint has almost always been baked on. I remember commercials for Earl Schieb back in the 70's bragging about their paint being baked on just like the factory.

No doubt the process and the paint formula has come a long way since then.

Their commercial was   "Any car, any color - In by 9 - out by 5 -- $29.95"  Anyone else remember that commercial?  Grin

2010 Terrain SLT-2
AWD, 6CYL. Onyx Black
Every Conceivable option
TerrainLem

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2011, 01:50:55 PM »

CG (Chemical Guys) JetSeal 109, Blacklight (for in-betweens), and E-ZYME (or Concours 50/50 if you're on a budget) FTW!

noxy

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2012, 11:41:12 AM »

I have the 2011 Nox LTZ in Cardinal Red and I use Maguier's Ultimate or Nu-Finish depending on cost. I have found both products to produce an excellent shine and they both last a long time. You cannot go wrong with the Nu-Finish however just be careful around the plastics as they do not get along very well. I personally like the look of a fresh wax job so I do mine more often that I should. For the price Nu Finish is a good choice. thumbs up
hyperv6
Theta Freak

hyperv6 hyperv6

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2012, 06:00:57 PM »

The paints that would or could crack were lacquer paints. It has been decades since this paint has been used. It has a longer drying time and not always but could crack if waxed too soon.
It also gave off a lot of emissions due to the make up of it and the EPA and mostly killed it off.

Today they use mostly water based Enamel paints that dry fast and really have little issue with cracking. Generally you can let is dry a short time sand and buff it in short order.

Waxing new paint is like many other things on todays car not what it used to be and many people are behind on what can or should be done.
POLRCUB II
Theta Guru

POLRCUB II,,, Lovin' The '300 Club'

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2012, 09:45:01 PM »

Meguire's all the way,,,  thumbs up
But I've just ordered the 303 Aerospace Protectant cause I'd like to try it. 

POLRCUB,19"GM LF671's on 255's
Full load,SatNAV/Rear Ent.pkg./Lane assist/front cam collision/blind spot,
4pcWeatherTechs,Blendmount radar,white GM Guards,6KLED Int & LED Ext. 6KHID fogs & DRLs,VG Fin,custom 3M, purple trim & 28%tint, lowering spring kit
MY13 3.6L Denali
Farewell MY10, 11 & 12
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: