EquinoxForum.net Bookmark and Share
November 22, 2014, 02:04:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to TerrainForum, EquinoxForum & SRXForum! We're glad you found us!

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Manual Shifting  (Read 12899 times)
Snowgov

Protect Today...Play Tomorrow

Ignore
« on: March 31, 2010, 09:29:51 AM »

As our member numbers increase and the weather gets nicer I have a question to throw there.  Has anyone played with manual shifting?  I haven't yet, but was wondering if many have been using the option of manual shifting.   Your reaction if you have used it?  Thanks.

2011 Equinox LT1
Black/Jet Black Interior
All-Star Package
Interface Package   Bluetooth
Trailer Package  Splash Guards
Fog Lamp Mod   Courtesy Lamp Mod
Husky Cargo Liner/Floor Mats
Snowgov

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 09:44:33 AM »

SnowItch do you think it gave the Nox a "sporty" feel. or just slow as you stated.    Again I haven't tried it yet, just curious.  Does the 6 speed auto work just as well or better?

2011 Equinox LT1
Black/Jet Black Interior
All-Star Package
Terrain

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 09:51:10 AM »

I've used mine a couple of times.  I would say that it gives you a bit more control of the RPMs.

You have to keep in mind that it's not really manual shifting.  It simply tells the transmission the top gear it will enter into.  It's called Electronic Range Selection (or some-such).  In downshifting it would seem closer to a tiptronic or autostick.

2013 Lincoln MKX AWD

2011 Ford Edge Limited AWD - Sold

2010 SLT-2 V6 FWD Onyx Black/Jet Black, 19" Wheels, Nav 
Delivered - 7/16/10 Sold - 8/26/11

2010 SLT-2 V6 AWD Carbon Black Metallic/Jet Black, 19" Wheels, Towing
Ordered - 9/8/09 Built - 11/5/09 Delivered - 12/3/09  Sold - 7/16
NY_Joe
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 10:09:53 AM »

I've used mine a couple of times.  I would say that it gives you a bit more control of the RPMs.

You have to keep in mind that it's not really manual shifting.  It simply tells the transmission the top gear it will enter into.  It's called Electronic Range Selection (or some-such).  In downshifting it would seem closer to a tiptronic or autostick.

This is exaclty right.  It is not a tiptronic as in most other vehicles.  It does not provide gear selection but just locks out gears above what you select. 

2010 GMC Terrain
SLT-1 V6 AWD
Quicksilver Metallic/Jet Black Leather
Navi & RSE
GM/THule Cargo Box on Factory Cross Bars
Front & Rear Mud Flaps
Tinted Fronts
Grey/Red/Black Pinstripe
Accessories to be Added
3 piece Billet Grille (ordered)
Snowgov

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 10:24:22 AM »

Thanks Guys.   I have a better understanding of the tranny now.  I think I let the six speed do it's thing and leave it alone.  Until I hook up to the trailer and head to the compost site. 

Happy Easter to all!

2011 Equinox LT1
Black/Jet Black Interior
All-Star Package
Islander

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 10:34:23 AM »

Might be OK for dropping a gear or two down a hill, maybe for keeping a lower gear for towing, etc., but this is definitely not a tiptronic type playtoy.  I've tried it a few times and SnowGov is right on...just let the 6 speed do it's thing!
Terrain

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 10:43:35 AM »

Yeah, I wouldn't call it sporty because as Snowitch indicated the shifts are a bit lazy.

What I wouldn't have minded would have been the ability to tap the 'minus' button (or a double-tap to prevent accidentally downshifting) to get it to temporarily shift to the next lower gear, while still in D.  One of my biggest complaints of this tranny is it's a bit reluctant to downshift in certain instances.  I realize it does 'something' when you move from D to M at higher speeds, but I'm not sure if it is just unlocking the torque converter or actually shifting down a gear.

2013 Lincoln MKX AWD

gearhead
Theta Freak

Motor City Born and Bred

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 05:32:57 PM »

Yeah, I wouldn't call it sporty because as Snowitch indicated the shifts are a bit lazy.

What I wouldn't have minded would have been the ability to tap the 'minus' button (or a double-tap to prevent accidentally downshifting) to get it to temporarily shift to the next lower gear, while still in D.  One of my biggest complaints of this tranny is it's a bit reluctant to downshift in certain instances. I realize it does 'something' when you move from D to M at higher speeds, but I'm not sure if it is just unlocking the torque converter or actually shifting down a gear.
The gear you're in is (apparently ??) displayed in the DIC when you've selected Manual Shifting.

Overall, I find it OK to play around with the few times that I have.
You can wind her up pretty high going in and out of a corner, for example, or to use for dynamic braking.
If I remember correctly, I think I speed shifted from 2nd to 5th at around 4 or 5 (or was it 6 LOL) grand a few months ago.
You can feel you're working in the power band around that RPM range.
DOH, company, gotta run!
Happy Easter to all that celebrate in case we don't catch you tomorrow!

2010 Terrain SLT-2 (rec'd Sep/09)
AWD V6 Carbon Black Metallic w/ Jet Black Int.
All available options
19" Chrome Rims
Window Weather Deflectors
Roof Rack Cross Rails
Cargo Cover, Liner, Net, Organizer
Front & Rear Splash Guards
Weathertech Floor Mats
Terrain

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 05:40:07 PM »

The gear you're in is (apparently ??) displayed in the DIC when you've selected Manual Shifting.
Actually, what's displayed is the highest gear you have 'approved' the transmission to shift to.  Sometimes that is the current gear.

What I was referring to was, if you were cruising along and shift from D to M (at least on mine) something 'kicks down'.  This doesn't happen with yours?

Happy Easter to all that celebrate in case we don't catch you tomorrow!
To you and yours too...

2013 Lincoln MKX AWD

bballr4567
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 05:49:59 PM »

Ours will downshift into the appropriate "fun" gear. At 60, ours will go from 6th to 4th.

2010 Terrain SLE2, FWD, 4cyl, Merlot Jewel, Jet Black int., Convenience package
GARYD
Theta Freak

USMC 3RD TANK BATT. VIETNAM 1965-1966

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 07:39:45 PM »

If I wanted to play with the trans, I'd have bought sports car. I've had my string of manual shift sports cars. Now I want the luxury of not having to shift.
I think they should have spent the money on other things...like 1 touch window up function, a better rear wiper setup or even side mouldings.

JMHO

2010 Terrain SLT-2
AWD, 6CYL. Onyx Black
Every Conceivable option
2010 Harley Ultra Limited
gearhead
Theta Freak

Motor City Born and Bred

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 04:13:31 AM »

Actually, what's displayed is the highest gear you have 'approved' the transmission to shift to.  Sometimes that is the current gear.

What I was referring to was, if you were cruising along and shift from D to M (at least on mine) something 'kicks down'.  This doesn't happen with yours?
To you and yours too...

Yes, it does shift down and the REV's quickly leap up into the 3000-4000 RPM range (from memory).

Ours will downshift into the appropriate "fun" gear. At 60, ours will go from 6th to 4th.

Now there's a good way to put it!
 Cool

If I wanted to play with the trans, I'd have bought sports car. I've had my string of manual shift sports cars. Now I want the luxury of not having to shift.
I think they should have spent the money on other things...like 1 touch window up function, a better rear wiper setup or even side mouldings.

JMHO

Ditto, but hey, it's there, gotta see what she can do, although for some the novelty will wear off quickly.
wink

2010 Terrain SLT-2 (rec'd Sep/09)
AWD V6 Carbon Black Metallic w/ Jet Black Int.
All available options
19" Chrome Rims
Window Weather Deflectors
Roof Rack Cross Rails
Cargo Cover, Liner, Net, Organizer
Front & Rear Splash Guards
Weathertech Floor Mats
redlight_005

AWD V6, SLT-2 w/nav and 19" wheels

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 02:02:46 PM »

Exactly, experienced the same.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
ATerrainFan

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 11:04:44 AM »

We took a Terrain on a ski trip to West Virginia from DC in February and found the manual shifting to be invaluable. It was snowing the entire time, and while going up and down hills (with a few inches of packed snow/ice on the ground) it is MUCH safer to be able to downshift instead of riding the brakes. Also, when we were going up and down hills and mountains, putting the car in manual mode and controlling its shifting that way made the ride much smoother and easier on the braks and mpg.

While one touch windows would be great, I woudn't trade the manual shifting for anything. Also, I love the button on the side instead of having to move the shifter back and forth. It just works better and is easier IMO.

MACATOWA

2010 Equinox LT1 AWD Blue I-4

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 05:08:48 PM »

I don't manual shift mine but I will slot it in neutral for nice long coasts. The transmission acts a little too much as a brake if you want to coast with it.
bballr4567
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 05:10:18 PM »

I don't manual shift mine but I will slot it in neutral for nice long coasts. The transmission acts a little too much as a brake if you want to coast with it.
Ive noticed this as well. Even with our 09 Malibu with the same trans, it didnt slow down the car near as much. We could coast much farther in it than in the Terrain.

ATerrainFan

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 05:19:56 PM »

Thanks! Will do.
Motorman

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2010, 03:09:32 PM »

FWIW..........the GM engine and electronic controller  are designed (like most new cars) to shut down the fuel injectors when you take your foot off the gas in any gear.   I.E. no gas is burned while coasting , but in neutral,  the injectors are burning gas.   Considering the potential for not having power in an sudden emergency,  no closer than a few seconds away, ( takes a few moments for drivetrain/engine to mesh)     I'd stay in Drive, coast in complete control,  and enjoy the gas savings. 
JIMHO

MM

My gas pedal don't stick!
bballr4567
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2010, 03:47:24 PM »

MM, you are right.

However, it seems the DFCO is particularly intense on the Terrain as it literally nose dives when you take your foot off the gas. Its more than annoying when you are trying to coast to a red light but the engine braking is so intense you stop without hitting the brake.

MACATOWA

2010 Equinox LT1 AWD Blue I-4

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2010, 06:05:41 PM »

I might wager that savings of coasting without engine breaking outweigh the effect of no injectors but engine is breaking sooner so you have to stay on the pedal longer. My experience  with the 17" Michelins and 35 psi is that it coasts twice as far in neutral as it would with your foot of the gas, also it engages instantly and smoothly when you put it back in drive no mater how fast or slow you are going.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: