EquinoxForum.net Bookmark and Share
April 23, 2014, 09:17:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Download our new iPhone, Android & Blackberry App! more info

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2010 - 2011 2.4L engine Sevice Letter  (Read 10920 times)
ronwel

Ignore
« on: August 09, 2013, 07:15:56 AM »

Got this letter in the mail yesterday.  My father has a 2011 Nox and got this letter yesterday as well.  Looks like GM is owning up to the engine problem.

--------------------
As the owner of a 2010 model year Chevrolet Equinox, your satisfaction with our product  is very important to us.

This letter is intended  to make  you  aware that  on some  2010 model  year Chevrolet  Equinox  vehicles, equipped  with a 2.4L engine, the chrome  layer on the balance chain pins may wear, allowing the chain to stretch.   This  would  cause  an engine  noise,  and  if left untreated,  could  cause  the chain  to  break  and leading to engine damage.

In addition,  the fuel pump  plunger  shaft seal may wear and allow fuel to leak into the crankcase,  which would  illuminate the Malfunction  Indicator  Light.   This can cause engine run-on  and/or the engine to run rough.

Do not take your vehicle to your General Motors dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.

General Motors  is providing  owners  with additional  protection  for the condition  described above.   If this condition  occurs  on your  2010 model  year Chevrolet  Equinox,  equipped  with a 2.4L engine,  within 10 years of the date your  vehicle  was originally  placed  in service  or 193,000 kilometres,  whichever  occurs first, the condition  will be repaired for you at no charge.  Diagnosis  or repair for conditions  other than the condition  described  above is not covered under this special coverage program.

Repairs and adjustments  qualifying under this special coverage  must be performed  by a General Motors dealer.  You may want to call the service department  at your dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment  at a time that is convenient  for you.  This will also  allow  your  dealer  to  order  parts  if they  are not  already  in stock.   Keep this letter  with your  other important glovebox  literature for future reference.

If you have already paid to have this special coverage condition corrected and you have not received reimbursement under  a Vehicle Service Contract,  you should  contact  your dealer as you may be eligible to  receive  reimbursement.    Please  provide  your  dealer  with  the  original  or  clear  copy  of  all receipts, invoices  and/or  repair  orders  verifying  the  repair,  the  amount  charged,  proof  of payment,  the  date  of payment  of those charges,  and proof  of ownership  of the vehicle at the time of the repair.  Your request for reimbursement, including  the information  and documents  mentioned  above, must be received by your dealer before July 31, 2014.

We are sorry for any inconvenience you may experience; however we have taken this action in the interest of your continued satisfaction  with our products.

Customer Care and Aftersales
General Motors of Canada Limited
GM #12313
Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 07:57:18 AM »

Fantastic - GM is, once again, backing up their products.

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
rbarrios
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 08:27:20 AM »

yeah- the 2008-2010  Traverse, Acadia,Enclave, Outlook owners are receiving a similar letter...
for the water pumps.  10 yrs/120,000 miles on the pumps.

2013 Equinox  LT1 3.6L V6 FWD -   20,000
2010 Traverse LT1 3.6L V6 FWD -  77,000
2003 Trailblazer LS  4.2L I6 RWD- 172,000
Phantm006

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 10:20:44 AM »

Well I had my fuel pump replaced a few months ago because it was leaking into the engine and causing run on or a non-cranking issue. I've had the noise here and there. Do Terrain owners get the letter also?

GMC Terrain SLE2- Cyber Gray Metallic
 2.4, Sunroof, 18" Brushed Aluminum Wheels
Heated Seats, Remote Start
Chrome Package
Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 10:21:31 AM »

yeah- the 2008-2010  Traverse, Acadia,Enclave, Outlook owners are receiving a similar letter...
for the water pumps.  10 yrs/120,000 miles on the pumps.

Wow, GM must have hit the Lottery. thumbs up

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
Odinson

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 10:21:39 AM »

Wow that is really awesome.  Not effected, but really glad they are doing the right thing.
Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 10:21:52 AM »

Well I had my fuel pump replaced a few months ago because it was leaking into the engine and causing run on or a non-cranking issue. I've had the noise here and there. Do Terrain owners get the letter also?

Sure ! 

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
GM Customer Svc
Theta Guru

Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 11:43:20 AM »

Phantm006,

You can private message me your VIN and I can provide you with more information on the recalls or service bulletins associated with your vehicle.

Erica Tiffany
GMC Customer Care

>>>>>> Please check out the new GM Owner Center at https://my.gm.com/ for more vehicle information!
austin

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 01:39:44 PM »

Wow. This is where the foreign brands fall behind. It's one thing to have reliable products, but it means a lot more for a company to stand behind their products. Give yourself a pat on the back GM, job well done.

Sent from my bragging iPhone using an app that encourages it.

Black 2012 FWD 3.0L V6 1LT
Drivers convenience package
Pioneer sound system
Phantm006

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 04:49:11 PM »

Phantm006,

You can private message me your VIN and I can provide you with more information on the recalls or service bulletins associated with your vehicle.

Erica Tiffany
GMC Customer Care
PM sent. Thanks

Chrome Package
Phantm006

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 07:55:06 AM »

Being that this letter is being sent out in 2013 for a 2010-2011 vehicle there is no way to know if the chrome layer is wearing off or not without a delaer actually examining the vehicle. My questions is how do owners know if this isnt occuring within their vehicle without it being examined? I say that because the 2.4 is already a noisy engine due to being direct injection. After having my transmission rebuilt recently, its even noisier. I think that the letter merely suggesting that IF you hear a noise or suspect something may be wrong is not enough. Some folks dont know one noise from another. Just my 2 cents.

Chrome Package
Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 09:47:49 AM »

How many here have gotten a letter on this - that fit the ownership profile ?  I have a '10 4-cyl, and have not gotten any letter yet.

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
cmpcpro

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 11:58:07 AM »

Being that this letter is being sent out in 2013 for a 2010-2011 vehicle there is no way to know if the chrome layer is wearing off or not without a delaer actually examining the vehicle. My questions is how do owners know if this isnt occuring within their vehicle without it being examined? I say that because the 2.4 is already a noisy engine due to being direct injection. After having my transmission rebuilt recently, its even noisier. I think that the letter merely suggesting that IF you hear a noise or suspect something may be wrong is not enough. Some folks dont know one noise from another. Just my 2 cents.

You have already had your transmission rebuilt? Ouch! How many miles do you have?

2013 Equinox LTZ Aspen Grey 2.4l 4Cyl. Fully Loaded, w/ Navi.
Purchased 7/5/13 - Xtreme Digital HID Kit w/Phillips 4300k
5000k LED Fog Lights from KBCarstuff.com
DavidPJ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2013, 07:00:21 AM »

I received the letter yesterday. I'm very glad to see GM standing behind their product, but I also think the letter is a little vague. Our Terrain does sometimes but rarely have start up noise and I've reported it to the dealer. I wonder how the dealers are going to treat this letter for Terrains that sometimes are noisy but the noise can't be verified on demand. It would have been nice if the letter would have given more information regarding the type of sound that occurs from the chrome layer wear and under what conditions.

However, it's great that GM is offering the service for 10 years or 120,000 miles from date of service. So, I guess I'll just wait until something more obvious occurs before discussing it with the dealer.

2011 Terrain SLT-1, 4 Cyl, FWD, Mocha Steel
Brownstone Leather, NAV, Rear DVD, Power Liftgate, Michelin Latitude Tires, PIAA Silicon Wipers, Penzoil Platinum Plus
Phantm006

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2013, 07:26:55 AM »

You have already had your transmission rebuilt? Ouch! How many miles do you have?
Yeah. Believe it or not. One day it was fine. One day it decided it didn't want to take me anywhere. No warning or anything. The wave plate broke and shredded the trans. They had to replace it, the torque converter, housing and "re-condition" the entire thing. It's very noisy under load in second gear now. Has kind of turned me off to GM with as many problems this car has given me. I'm right around 94 K but I do a lot of traveling but I don't drive the shyt out of it.

Chrome Package
Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2013, 08:03:33 AM »

I received the letter yesterday.

I haven't gotten one yet.  '10 4-cyl

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
Phantm006

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2013, 08:56:03 AM »

I received the letter yesterday. I'm very glad to see GM standing behind their product, but I think the letter is a little vague. Our Terrain does sometimes but rarely have start up noise and I've reported it to the dealer. I wonder how the dealers are going to treat this letter for Terrain's that sometimes are noisy but the noise can't be verified on demand. It would have been nice if the letter would have given more information regarding the type of sound that occurs from the chrome layer wear and under what conditions.

However, it's great that GM is offering the service for 10 years or 120,000 miles from date of service. So, I guess I'll just wait until something more obvious occurs before discussing it with the dealer.
Exactly.

Chrome Package
fourmoremarine
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2013, 05:45:45 PM »

THE WEB SITE  www.mygmc.com will tell you if your Terrain has this extended warranty added to the vehicle
You will need your vin number to register on the site. Site also has service records/ when your other warranties expire etc.
If I remember right,, its listed as special service warranty 12313 120000 miles or 10 years   Toll free phone number listed to find out more info

Sswiatek

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 08:48:27 AM »

I also received, this letter, and my transmission was also rebuilt @ 30 000 kms. The only thing they replaced concerning this letter was the fuel pump, I was also wondering at which point or situation would the balancing chain be checked or replaced.  They Said it would be covered up to 193000 kms
Phantm006

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2013, 10:37:20 AM »

I also received, this letter, and my transmission was also rebuilt @ 30 000 kms. The only thing they replaced concerning this letter was the fuel pump, I was also wondering at which point or situation would the balancing chain be checked or replaced.  They Said it would be covered up to 193000 kms
What happened to your transmission? My scenario is the same. Just the fuel pump.

Chrome Package
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: