EquinoxForum.net Bookmark and Share
December 19, 2014, 05:04:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to TerrainForum, EquinoxForum & SRXForum! We're glad you found us!

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ELM 327  (Read 2427 times)
Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« on: December 15, 2013, 02:38:59 PM »

Has anyone used an ELM 327 diagnostic tool on their Nox/Terrain ?  In particular, the one that has a USB cord that can plug into a Laptop.  I've read about outdated software, and problems screwing up the Nox's computer, and just wondering if anyone has any success with it ?

I only want it for a "toy" to view some parameters, and because you can get them on EBay for $10-15 - plus Santa is looking for things to have his Elves make for me.  I know that there are probably better options for higher prices, but, as I said, this is just going to be a toy, so I don't have a big budget allocated for it.

THX

Rit

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
Chas

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 11:32:33 AM »

Have to use a laptop? Don't want to use a phone/tablet? (There are sometimes issues with ground loop disrupting sensors/communications if the laptop is being charged by the vehicle.) Because I believe bluetooth ELM 327 tools can be had for nearly as cheap as the USB versions?

I use the Android "Torque PRO" app. A $5 app that's far more powerful than I imagine it'd be. Supposedly, it'll work with any OBD II system, but I know it works great with lots of GM vehicles. For the $5 PRO version, you'll get more manufacturer's predefined PID. And the developer put lots of effort to make this app work with the cheaper bluetooth ELM tools (with nearly monthly updates explaining bugs fixed with cheap ELM tools - though I don't really know as my bluetooth tool was >$100 - but trouble-free!).

Otherwise, to answer your question - no, I don't have any experience using an ELM 327 with a usb connection.
(Rit, this post is more like a free Bump for your question.  Cheers)

2013 GMC Terrain SLT-1, FWD, 3.6 V6 (LFX), Sunroof
rbarrios
Theta Guru

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 11:53:04 AM »

just used mine yesterday....
I scanned the cars at home for PENDING codes (did not have any CELS on but wanted to see if any PENDINGs were set).

this is what Ive been using for about 5 yrs now.
With my laptop.
USB version.
Works fine on
2003 Trailblazer
2007 Impala
2008 Lucerne
2010 Traverse
2010 Silverado
2013 Equinox

2005 Mazda 3
20xx Suzuki
20xx Honda

2013 Equinox  LT1 3.6L V6 FWD -   27,000
2010 Traverse LT1 3.6L V6 FWD -  84,000
2003 Trailblazer LS  4.2L I6 RWD- 173,000
rbarrios
Theta Guru

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 11:58:49 AM »

there was no codes on the Nox,Traverse,Trailblazer.......

in the past- I cleaned out the TB-- and forgot to connect the MAF plug.
I started up the Traverse- and got the stabilitrack OFF message and something else...
right away I knew I forgot the plug.
NO CEL was set- but I scanned and found these........
I cleared. plugged in the connector-
restarted car--- fine
rescanned- no codes.

Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 01:01:51 PM »

rbarrios

When I look online for yours, seems like it is a $200 item, correct ?  That puts it out of my "toy" category, and into a "capitalized expenditure", and I can't justify that much for a toy !  Sorry, I'm a low budget operation - i.e. cheap !

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 01:23:30 PM »

Chas

My laptop had Bluetooth capability, but I haven't used it, but I'm sure i could figure it out.

No, no smartphone at home, just reside with the kids !

With that info, would you suggest an ELM 327 product, or an alternative ?  On Ebay, the ELM Bluetooth seems to run about $10, so that is what I would like to spend or a bit more, but not $25 - I don't think !  Again, it is just something to fool with in my spare time.

THX

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
RobtRoma

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 01:33:39 PM »

You could try researching OpenOBD.  It's designed for the ELM but I can't find much on info on it.  This is its SourceForge Page:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/openobd/index.php?title=OBD-II

Unfortunately, it was last updated in the middle of 2010 and it looks abandoned...

- 2013 Equinox 1LT 4 cyl AWD
- 2010 Mustang GT
rbarrios
Theta Guru

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 01:53:51 PM »

rbarrios

When I look online for yours, seems like it is a $200 item, correct ?  That puts it out of my "toy" category, and into a "capitalized expenditure", and I can't justify that much for a toy !  Sorry, I'm a low budget operation - i.e. cheap !

Its $130.
About 5+ yrs ago when I Bought it- smartphones were beginning and tablets didnt exist.
Laptop was the way to go.

I like it- since im able to plot data and save files.
Ill keep using it until I get rid of my laptop.

I dont have a smartphone or tablet- yet.

Chas

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 02:47:20 PM »

Rit, I do some tuning/hacks (primitive tuning) for a GM TPI engine from the 90's and used TunerPro with my laptop and USB connection to the ECM. If you're just wanting to look at data, bluetooth is the way to go. Those USB wires annoy me - and the data port for the Terrain is right by the Emergency Brake (can be tangled up with your foot, and yes,  Shocked  I actually use the emergency brake, ha).
BUT, if you think you'll want to do some editing, then the USB connection would likely be better.

Something else to think about - the cheap bluetooth ELM327 dongles have very slow data transmitting rates (and transmits less data simultaneously - affects data logging). The price hike is because the higher end models transmit more sensor data simultaneously with faster refresh rates. If you're just checking out some temperature readings or trouble codes, sure, the cheaper ones would be good enough. Trying to watch for misfires, knock retard, timing, etc - faster data is better. And often, the cheap USB ELM327 transmit data faster than the bluetooth ELM327. If I were trying to stay cheap, I might opt for the USB models in hopes of decent data refresh rates.

If I already had a USB interface tool, I'd keep using it (like rbarrios is). Since I didn't have one for an OBD II system, my wife spoiled me.  thumbs up

And, for me, it feel disturbing to "trust" a $10 part to interface with a $30k vehicle... Don't want it to mistakenly set a parameter to cause the airbags to blow when you change your HVAC system from heat to defrost, haha. (Don't think this is possible, but... don't want to find out the wrong way.)

I have no experience with the cheap ELM327, so I can't be much help here. Hope someone else can share their experiences?
Rit, in your case, it seems you lucked out with a reliable 4 cylinder from 2010. So you might get lucky with the cheap bluetooth ELM327.  shrug
Share your thoughts in the New Year after you've played with yours??  Smiley

2013 GMC Terrain SLT-1, FWD, 3.6 V6 (LFX), Sunroof
Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 05:57:58 PM »

I have no experience with the cheap ELM327, so I can't be much help here. Hope someone else can share their experiences?
Rit, in your case, it seems you lucked out with a reliable 4 cylinder from 2010. So you might get lucky with the cheap bluetooth ELM327.  shrug
Share your thoughts in the New Year after you've played with yours??  Smiley
What scares me, similar to your airbag scenario, is that I thought someone on this forum had a problem with his ELM changing one of his already programmed devices on the car.  i was hoping that he would pipe in, but not yet .

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
Colt Hero

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 03:48:02 PM »

http://www.glmsoftware.com/ElmScan5Compact.aspx

An interesting article regarding Scantool.net's "Elm"-based product.  I've been searching for a new OBD-II reader since I purchased my Nox because my old Actron will not read CAN protocol.  I've run across this article a few times over the last year or so.

2011 Equinox 1LT (new Jan 2011)
Summit White / 3.0 L V6
18" Wheels / Pioneer Stereo
67,000 Miles (10/1/14)

"Colt Hero" is a car, not a gun
wtavcar

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 05:23:09 AM »

Yes I have used one. Got it on ebay from Asia. Works fine once you get it working. Got the device and a CD. Tried the bunch of software on the CD and finally got it going by trial and error. each software needs to setup a "channel" or handshake with the computer so you may have to play with the settings to get the ELM talking to the Nox/Terrain.

2010 Equinox 1LT FWD w/I4 2.4
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: